Get well wishes for Paul
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Get well wishes for Paul

Our moderator and camel pal Paul fell off a wall and ripped one of his knees up. He won't say how he fell off the wall...just that he was out taking pictures. Come on, Paul, spill the beans.

So here's a get well soon wish for Paul. Hope he's back soon.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Get well wishes for Paul

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 11-11-2005   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 246

Paul
I've heard of falling off the wagon, but never falling off the wall. Man you must have had it reeeeeal bad. Get well soon man.

Joe
CI Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Well as I've now been 'outed' I'll give you a little more information :P.

Firstly, the 'wall' was only about 12" high (as someone said to me - 'that's not a wall, that's a step!'). It ran along the edge of a lake in the Lake District (a rather large and beautiful lake called Ullswater).

I was walking along the side of the lake taking the odd shot when I realized that a truck was approaching from behind and a car was approaching from the front. As the lane was narrow and full of large puddles (it rains a lot in the Lake District, unsurprisingly) I thought the best course of action was to hop onto the small wall and wait for the traffic to pass. This was my first mistake...

The wall was covered in moss, and so very soon I lost my footing and instinctively my mind went through several permutations - fall one way and I'm in the lake, the other way and I'm in a puddle in front of an oncoming truck. I chose the latter, which resulted in my mind making another instinctive preservation decision to save the camera I was holding. Unfortunately, my body was a bit slower than my mind so my agile movement to fall on the side not holding the camera resulted in a rather ugly twisting movement and my left leg took the brunt of it.

Anyway, some positive notes: My camera and lens remained completely unscathed! Also, I didn't fall into the lake, and the truck managed to stop before putting me out of my misery. Currently I'm resting the knee after having all the tests and x-rays. Suspicion is some cartilage or cruciate ligament damage, but the docs wont elect to operate until certain.

Here's a shot taken just moments before the incident - the figure on the left was added later for your education and amusement (in case you're concerned about how thin I look).

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sorry to hear that, Paul. I hope you recover from it with minimal pain and problems afterwards. Since it looks like you are probably going to be restricted to what you do for awhile, look on the bright side... now you can do all those table top and still live images you have been wanting to try.

Mike
Old 11-12-2005   #6
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First

Get well soon mate
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

so in short paul, you fell off the camel?

have a go and get well, the camel is waiting
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005   #8
senses working overtime

Well it's been a while since my injury so here's an update. I'm still not able to put pressure or fully bend the bad knee, and so they're going to open it up and cut some stuff off (sorry if that's a bit technical). The doc described it as an arthroscopy and medial menisectomy. Will just be glad to get movement back again, though I don't particularly like operations where they knock you out first (who does?). Anyway, currently trying to get myself booked in for it - it was going to be today but I suspect the consultant must have a golf match on as they've not got back to me . Oh well - a few more days hobbling won't harm me...
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 246

Hope all goes well. I've got to have my left knee replaced, but I'm trying to hold off as long as I can. :-\

Joe
CI Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005   #10
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Photography
Hope all goes well. I've got to have my left knee replaced, but I'm trying to hold off as long as I can. :-\

Joe
Cheers Joe. It's funny, since I've been researching this injury on the net there seem to be quite a few people who have long term problems and just haven't got round to surgery. Personally I need this done asap as it's constantly painful to walk, and running is impossible.

I found a cool site all about knee injuries - isn't the Internet wonderful . http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: