Let's talk History - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 266809
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Let's talk History

Ok...well it was said by you that the Sumerians:
"they were writing about their present time. My theory is that they don't have a concept of "history".
Igigi were the "gods" of the heavens. Heavens meaning ...Space. Gods...meaning those who came from the heavens. Igigi would be a good Sumerian word for "astronaut"
The Sumerians wrote about this. NOT present time, but "history" for the future to see and hid the tablets.

Zecharia didn't "make things up."
It's all over in historical writings all over the world about ...heavens...gods..coming down to earth etc. ...AKA astronauts.
mythology? No....it's in our current "bibles" written as history.

It's all history and in books, don't ya know?
Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017   #12
Vicuna

4And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. 5Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man. 6And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. 7And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass. 8And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings.
Old 09-15-2017   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Hi, Augustine. How are you today

I wish if we keep this thread purely about history, let's try not to get religion involved. You know what happens when either politics or religion is mentioned...all L will break loose

Side question: Are you in the US of A or somewhere else. I'm asking to know the time difference between our locations (I'm not from or in the USA).
Old 09-15-2017   #14
Camel Breath

Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Quiz time!

1) What is the name of the oldest city in the world (easy, I know )
2) What is the name of the oldest city that has been continually inhabited till today.
3) Bonus points if you know how old is each.
Old 09-15-2017   #15
Camel Breath

Alright, I will answer my own quiz

1) Jericho is the oldest city in the world, and it's in current day Palestine. It dates back to 10,000 years ago.

2) Byblos, in current day Lebanon, is the oldest continually inhabited city in the world. It was established by the Phoenicians 8,000 years ago. Its name is derived from the word Papyrus, which was the name of the plant ancient people used to write on. E.g. paper.
Old 09-15-2017   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Need clarification on this topic: The origin of the Phoenicians.

Always thought the Phoenicians were of European origin, specifically from south Italy. However, in one lecture I attended on Youtube, the lecturer said the Phoenicians are of a Semitic ancestry, e.g from the ME (Middle East).

Anybody can confirm or deny that assertion?
Aha! Found this by accident.

Frrom Wiki: :Phoenicia (...) was a thalassocratic ancient Semitic civilization.

Thank you very much, Wiki
Old 09-15-2017   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Hi, Augustine. How are you today

I wish if we keep this thread purely about history, let's try not to get religion involved. You know what happens when either politics or religion is mentioned...all L will break loose

Side question: Are you in the US of A or somewhere else. I'm asking to know the time difference between our locations (I'm not from or in the USA).

Yes, I can see where some people can be snowflakes.
However; our greatest history lessons came from what was written and what was written has all come down to religious texts in every culture.

History as written "today" is written by interpretations of such texts...may they be right or wrong.

The source is always the best way to get the info.

In any case, I will leave "religion" be ..you know; for the snowflakes.

It's 4:37 p.m. here now. Friday the 15th.
Old 10-20-2017   #18
Camel Breath

Hello again
Old 12-08-2017   #19
Camel Breath

BTW. Ordered a History of the World DVD, and it will arrive shortly, in the next day or two (UK production).

Very exciting
Old 02-02-2018   #20
Camel Breath

Related to this topic, I'm thinking about going back to collage and take an introductory course about History. Need to establish a scientific base before I build up on the science of History.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: