Nikon and Canon to merge by April 15th
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon and Canon to merge by April 15th

http://tehisp.blogspot.com/2017/04/n...-to-merge.html

It seems Nikon and Canon are merging. Nikon will concentrate on ILC and Canon on DSLR but both under the brand name Guandong Cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-03-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Nikon and Canon to merge by April 15th

Obviously an April fools joke.........?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #3
Guanaco

Yes, rather hastily prepared, I'm afraid.

Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 100643
Editing OK?: Yes

Can you imagine if this was legit? I heard Sony was possibly looking at Nikon a few months ago. Which seemed like a good fit because they are using their sensors already.
Tom Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Moss View Post
Can you imagine if this was legit? I heard Sony was possibly looking at Nikon a few months ago. Which seemed like a good fit because they are using their sensors already.

Honestly, I'm having difficulty seeing how the big camera companies can survive now that cellphones can produce darned good images. In fact, the image from a cellphone could probably be printed on a billboard and nobody would ever notice it wasn't done with an expensive camera. The old arguments about ISO, sensitivity, resolution etc are null and void these days.

Mirrorless camera

Tablet

DSLR

Cellphone

Old 08-24-2017   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Uhh, I think that is a bit of a stretch on cell phones being as good....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #7
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Uhh, I think that is a bit of a stretch on cell phones being as good....

By the time images have been processed and displayed, it's impossible to say which camera took which photo.

What did I use for this photo?

Old 08-24-2017   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 266809
Editing OK?: Yes

well ...not "impossible."

I would say "some" are impossible.
Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

It is my guess that you more likely than not used a polarizing filter in your unknown photo. I would therefore say that you most likely used a "bridge" camera or one of the cameras that used interchangeable lenses. Although not impossible to use a polarizer with one of the electronic devices that also incorporates a phone, these are "bare bones" cameras and are more difficult to use with most accessories such as filters. Most also lack such basic features common on other camera types such as tripod sockets, manual overrides on many of the settings, true optical zoom lenses, and truly tight framing necessary for extreme close-ups and macros.

In other words, these electronic devices with cameras in them might work well enough in "average" conditions and are adequate for occasional use under more difficult conditions such as low ambient light, at night, sports, wildlife, studio or studio-like photography, HDR or panoramic photography, the shortcomings of these Swiss Army cameras will manifest themselves. All of the sample pics were normal to semi-wide except for the one taken by the dSLR. The one with the chickens shows one of them with a badly motion-blurred head and body. Perhaps a faster shutter speed would have prevented this, or a burst of shots would have allowed a shot with no blurred chickens. (To be fair, this shot could probably be improved even with the existing equipment by moving the camera's lens close enough to the fence to keep the wire out of the image altogether, or at least confine it to the edges of the image, something that would have been easier to do with the cell phone than a bigger camera.) The mirrorless camera shot could have benefited from a tripod too.

I would therefore see this experiment repeated for something along the lines of a formal portrait, a sporting event such as a little league game, a night football game, a deer in the woods - or even on the lawn - a squirrel in a tree, something approximating a product shot, and night street photography. I suspect that the interchangeable-lens camera or even a bridge camera would come off a lot better than any of the Swiss Army cameras.

P.S. Talk about topic drift...!
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #10
Guanaco

I don't recall whether I had a polarizer on that photo. I probably did as they're what I use in place of a 1B these days. That was probably a DSLR photo or it could have been a Nexus 4. I took the same photo with both when I was in Macon, ga in 2014.

The fact is, I use cellphone, tablet, mirrorless and DSLR cameras. There are things such as time exposure that the latter two are better suited to but in terms of image quality they're all so close these days that I'm thinking we'll have a convergence.

The cellphone has already replaced the compact camera.

The photo above... Nexus 4

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: