NFL 2016/2017 Season - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes

I don't think the Browns pick 1st in the draft. Don't forget Hue Jackson got the 2011 Raiders off to a 4-2 start with Jason Campbell at QB before he broke his collarbone, which resulted in that ridiculous trade for the "retired" Carson Palmer.

The QB formerly known as RGIII and Josh McCown should be fine with Jackson at the helm, provided McCown doesn't lead with his head trying to get into the end zone again.

That leaves San Francisco and Tennessee. Yikes.

I could actually see the Rams surprising everyone and being really, really bad instead of their usual mediocrity (with some strange big wins sprinkled in). They are more than a quarterback away, and Jared Goff certainly wasn't worth trading up to No. 1 for.
Old 08-09-2016   #22
Camel Breath

NFL.com's Elliot Harrison ranked the Browns 32nd and the 49ers 31st in his preseason power rankings.

I really don't think a Hue Jackson team will finish behind a Chip Kelly team. Just saying.
Old 08-10-2016   #23
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: NFL 2016/2017 Season

I don't think the Browns are the worst either. They are bad, but not the worst. ell, they might give up after 4-6 games and try to be worst.... RG3 named starter, so they made that decision.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #24
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Constructive Critique?: No

Well, I guess I might as well join this discussion as I'm a rabid NFL fan. Wait while I put my flame suit on!..................... I'm a Raiders fan! I have been since 1960, the day they became an official team in the old AFL before they merged with the NFL.

My boys in Silver & Black haven't been doing so well for the past decade and it's been very difficult to be the butt of all the jokes, but.... if us Raider fans are nothing else, we're loyal.

Every year, I say the same thing. "This year is THE year!" And, it ends up the same old way. Never a winning season in so long, I've forgotten when the last one. 2002 I think? When they went to the Super Bowl and got spanked by the Buccaneers?

Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that they will be a wild card team in the playoffs. On paper, they look might good. Derek Carr, Khalil Mack, Kelechi Osemelli, Karl Joseph, Amari Cooper.... lots of young talent. Their draft picks in the past three years have been stellar and the front office work by Reggie McKenzie has been outstanding! Jack Del Rio is an awesome head coach and he's got the young men under his command to buy into his system.

So, can't wait until Friday night. The first pre-season game between the Raiders and the Arizona Cardinals. Got some buds coming over for pizza and some Bud Lights and lots of hoopin' and hollerin'!

Win, Lose or Tie..... a Raider till I DIE!
Old 08-10-2016   #25
Camel Breath

Gosh, I hope the Raiders are finally good this year. It'd be nice to have someone be successful in the Bay Area*, and to see the Raiders win again. I hope they don't move to Las Vegas.

Reggie McKenzie looked lost his first year but they were in salary cap hell, and the team was simply awful in most aspects and very unappealing to free agents in the immediate post-Al Davis (RIP) era.

*I know the Warriors had a great run, but that meltdown at the end is all anyone will remember....
Old 08-10-2016   #26
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 750031
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Gosh, I hope the Raiders are finally good this year. It'd be nice to have someone be successful in the Bay Area*, and to see the Raiders win again. I hope they don't move to Las Vegas.

Reggie McKenzie looked lost his first year but they were in salary cap hell, and the team was simply awful in most aspects and very unappealing to free agents in the immediate post-Al Davis (RIP) era.

*I know the Warriors had a great run, but that meltdown at the end is all anyone will remember....

Poor old Reggie! What a bag of worms he inherited from Al! But, he told them from the get-go what it was gonna' take to right the ship and he was spot on! He pruned a LOT of dead wood from the tree. Got rid of a lot of cancerous malcontents and began anew, building from the draft. I'm really stoked at all the young talent Reggie has amassed. Khalil Mack is an absolute beast and pairing him with Bruce Irvin was a master stroke! And Derek Carr will become one of the best QB's in the league. Amari Cooper is an amazing WR, having made the pro-bowl in his rookie season. And, their first round pick this past draft, Karl Joseph, is going to pay BIG dividends!

Whether you like the Raiders or loath them, you've got to admit, the NFL is a lot more interesting when the Raiders are winning!
Old 08-10-2016   #27
Camel Breath

Reggie really pulled it together. That first year was pretty scary, but in retrospect it was better than cobbling together a team of easily-disgruntled veteran free agents and ruining the salary cap, as had been the MO for many years.

I have no real geographical loyalties in the Bay Area; I'm in the South Bay so we kind of didn't really have the whole East/West divide when I was growing up here. The South has many transplants from both sides too, though I mostly see 49ers and SF Giants fans. I know there's a geographic rivalry between the 49ers and Raiders fans but *both* teams were terrible from 2004-2010, and the 49ers are terrible once again.

I want both football teams and both baseball teams to win. Where's the fun if some of your area teams stink?

It's like me wanting the other NFC West and AFC West to be really good when they're not playing the 49ers and Raiders. Where's the fun if your rival hasn't had a winning season in years?

Of course, I also come from the UCLA-USC collegiate rivalry where UCLA football only won the annual match-up ONCE from 1999-2011.
Old 08-10-2016   #28
Camel Breath

It's time for the The Seventh Annual PhotoCamel NFL Division Pick 'Em(TM)!

For reference, here are the results from last year: The Sixth Annual PhotoCamel NFL Division Pick 'Em(TM) (RESULTS)

How to Play

Please indicate the team you think will win the division. Also, choose the wild card qualifying teams for each conference.

Here is a sample, unofficial entry for the NFC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane
NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles

NFC South
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
St Louis Rams

NFC North
Detroit Lions

NFC Wild Card Qualifiers
San Francisco 49ers
Atlanta Falcons
I would do the same with the AFC, and then I would also select conference champions, and a Super Bowl pick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane
AFC Championship
Jacksonville Jaugars over Cleveland Browns

NFC Championship
Detroit Lions over Tampa Bay Buccanneers

Super Bowl XLV
Jacksonville Jaguars over Detroit Lions
Keywords here are "sample entry".

This is merely for fun (and to potentially promote discussion), but winner gets Karma and bragging rights.

Last year, Morgan/Lori (lputman) and I tied with a score of... 3 out of 12.

Al (aam1234) is the only returning player to have outright won the contest twice, in 2010 and 2014.

Please submit your answers before the beginning of regular season play at 8:30 EST (GMT-4) on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016.*

These usually get submitted at the end of the preseason; I use your final entry once Thursday's deadline passes, so feel free to revise your answers up until the opening kickoff.

--------

Below will be the divisions are reproduced for your convenience, with teams in no particular order. The easiest way to participate is to copy the text below (use the quote button to preserve formatting if you like) and paste it into the body of your own post.

American Football Conference

AFC East
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC Wild Card Qualifiers:
XX
XX

National Football Conference

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
St Louis Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC Wild Card Qualifiers
XX
XX

AFC Championship
XX over XX

NFC Championship
XX over XX

Super Bowl XLV
XX over XX

--------

Please submit your answers before the beginning of regular season play at 8:30 EST (GMT-4) on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016.
Old 08-10-2016   #29
Camel Breath

Just because I can, here's a way-too-early partial entry (no conference or Super Bowl picks) for before the preseason. I'm completely pulling this out of my you-know-where at this point.

As always, I use your last entry, so don't be shy and feel free to revise your entry up until the opening kickoff.

American Football Conference

AFC East
New England Patriots

Even if the Jimmy Garoppolo show goes 0-4, 12-4 with angry Tommy Brady should be good enough to win the division, if not contend for the No. 1 seed.

AFC South
Houston Texans

Going with the incumbents until shown otherwise. Jaguars always feel a year away, and the Colts should have been looking to replace Ryan Grigson, not Chuck Pagano. No idea about Mike Mularkey's Titans but his last name is only one letter away from a term for nonsense...

AFC West
Kansas City Chiefs

Denver takes a step back while it sorts out its QB situation (Mark Sanchize and Trevor Siemian might be worse than the two-pack of Case Keenum and T.J. Yates that Gary Kubiak had in Houston in 2013); I just don't see San Diego or Oakland capitalizing on the opportunity this year.

AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland will finish ahead of San Francisco and Tennessee, but that's not saying much. Baltimore is an unknown quantity at the moment, and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton will miss Hue Jackson.

AFC Wild Card Qualifiers:
Oakland Raiders
Baltimore Ravens

I could easily see San Diego and Cincinnati in here instead of Oakland and Baltimore.

National Football Conference

NFC East
Washington Redskins

This division is up for grabs, but I'll go with GM Scot McLoughlan's good team management. QB Kirk Cousins is playing for his next contract.

NFC South
Carolina Panthers

Kelvin Benjamin should be back at receiver for the Panthers, so Cam Newton will have all his toys this year. I don't think they win 15 games though.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals

I believe in the urgency of Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald capping off their careers with a championship will help Bruce Arians' squad take care of business. Hopefully, Carson Palmer isn't already going through a late-career Jake Delhomme stage after a playoff meltdown (ironically, it was a Panthers and Cardinals playoff game).

NFC North
Green Bay Packers

Would you really take Teddy Bridgewater's Vikings over Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, even if Jordy Nelson can't return to pre-injury form?

NFC Wild Card Qualifiers
Seattle Seahawks
New York Giants

I wanted to pick the Vikings instead of the Giants, but someone's due for a drop-off, and the Vikings always seem to do too little to improve their team from season to season. Also, I can't imagine the Seahawks ever being out of contention as long as Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll are there, even if Bruce Arians' Cardinals can probably block their division title run this year.
Old 08-11-2016   #30
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

I stand corrected: The Pup that booked us at 2-14 was not SI. It was CBS sports.

Sorry about that.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: