Anyone heard from Ed Shapiro ? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2015   #21
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Anyone heard from Ed Shapiro ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
How about we leave it at that and move on ?

Cheers, Don
Don, with due respect, I think that is part of the problem affecting this site these days. It and many of the remaining members have adopted the "Nothing to see here...Move along...move along" attitude.

Healthy discussion, indeed healthy debate not only would be good for this forum but is in fact good for life. Sometimes it might get a bit uncomfortable. But then lets be honest, if people did not push themselves or get pushed out of their comfort zone would a lot of great photography even happened?

We would all be taking the same damn photo of the same damn apple sitting in the same damn bowl on the same damn table in the same damn window light. Yawn.

Are there times to reign in some forms of expression? Of course. But this forum I fear has swung that pendulum too far. The sad thing is, that the likely hood of this forum and others like it will die before the pendulum swings the other way. And that would be a shame.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
Don, with due respect, I think that is part of the problem affecting this site these days. It and many of the remaining members have adopted the "Nothing to see here...Move along...move along" attitude.

Healthy discussion, indeed healthy debate not only would be good for this forum but is in fact good for life. Sometimes it might get a bit uncomfortable. But then lets be honest, if people did not push themselves or get pushed out of their comfort zone would a lot of great photography even happened?

We would all be taking the same damn photo of the same damn apple sitting in the same damn bowl on the same damn table in the same damn window light. Yawn.

Are there times to reign in some forms of expression? Of course. But this forum I fear has swung that pendulum too far. The sad thing is, that the likely hood of this forum and others like it will die before the pendulum swings the other way. And that would be a shame.
I agree. The camel was at its liveliest and most interesting when we had a lot of strong personalities on board that were able to disagree without being labeled as troublemakers. At the same time, nearly everyone approached each other on the same level, without any pro vs amateur attitudes anywhere. There were a few rather snobby members, but for the most part, everyone was agreeable and free to say what they wanted, as long as they weren't nasty. And even the nasty parts were super interesting conversations in off-topic.

Maybe those days are gone for all forums, but hopefully Photocamel will continue to be a site for good information and interaction for those who are seeking it.
Old 07-18-2015   #23
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 871721
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
I agree. The camel was at its liveliest and most interesting when we had a lot of strong personalities on board that were able to disagree without being labeled as troublemakers. At the same time, nearly everyone approached each other on the same level, without any pro vs amateur attitudes anywhere. There were a few rather snobby members, but for the most part, everyone was agreeable and free to say what they wanted, as long as they weren't nasty. And even the nasty parts were super interesting conversations in off-topic.
that was circa 2009. I miss the good old days. That was even before Ed Shapiro too, so them leaving is the second wave of people leaving. And some come back, like yours truly.

www.johnnyperkka.com
Johnny Perkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #24
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2898382
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post

I agree.

I regularly check out a half dozen photo forums and I see the same thing.

An out of focus, poorly composed, etc. image receives a half dozen "great photo" comments.

As much as I appreciate a well-intentioned "good shot" reply, I would rather see some constructive criticism that could lead to a discussion.

Or, if one does not have the time or inclination to post more than a "great shot" comment, perhaps we could add a "like" button.

Awarding Karma isn't the same....

My "how about we leave it at that and move on" comment was a reaction to what I felt was a petty "I don't like so and so" direction.

And that is where the trouble starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
How true

Quote:
Maybe those days are gone for all forums, but hopefully Photocamel will continue to be a site for good information and interaction for those who are seeking it.
Photocamel is still tops on my list but I do see a general down swing in the lack of constructive criticism being offered on all forums I visit.

Perhaps it is simply the fact that all too often, helpful replies are taken personally and are either ignored or argued with. Not discussed but argued with. A not so subtle difference...

A forum is only as good as we make it.

I see myself falling into the "nothing to see here, move on" trap and will endeavor to be more vocal, in a helpful way

Cheers, Don
Don Kondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #25
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12091131

Quote:
As much as I appreciate a well-intentioned "good shot" reply, I would rather see some constructive criticism that could lead to a discussion.

Or, if one does not have the time or inclination to post more than a "great shot" comment, perhaps we could add a "like" button.
Maybe in addition to the "Edit OK?" under our avitars there could be a notice that "Critique is OK" (or not) along with that like button.

Facebook
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them"?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #26
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Since we are being honest, I must say. Photos posted here are horrible. What were they thinking!

Case in point: PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression
What the hell!
Old 07-18-2015   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

(re-post)
Old 07-18-2015   #28
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Perkka View Post
that was circa 2009. I miss the good old days. That was even before Ed Shapiro too, so them leaving is the second wave of people leaving. And some come back, like yours truly.
I miss those days too! And I like seeing you pop in still.
Old 07-18-2015   #29
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12091131

Quote:
The photo above is an insult to all of us. (re-post)
I would respectfully have to disagree. First of all that is certainly not the worst photo I've ever seen posted on PC AND it was not posted as a photo but as an entry in the "Abstract and Artistic Expression" forum.

Facebook
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them"?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015   #30
Camel Breath

I agree with Mike. It's not nearly the worst and I don't think it's insulting at all. For the board it's in, it's a great post.

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: