Anyone heard from Ed Shapiro ? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Anyone heard from Ed Shapiro ?

I too miss the photographers who opted out; especially Tat2duck.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
Ditto, it appears, Tat2Duck. Haven't seen Rick Waldroup around, either, who was one of the better contributors to the street photography forum.

I miss 'em both.
Most of the others I miss, including Tat2Duck, and I never visited the street photography forum much. However, Rick Waldroup had a nasty tendency to go political and start or inflame forum wars. I can't honestly say that I would miss him. (Guess I can finally take him off my Ignore list now.)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Rick's profile shows that he still visits the forum (last activity a week ago). He apparently just hasn't posted anything for a while.
Old 07-15-2015   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

I too don't visit that often. The forum has really lost steam over the last year, with new posts becoming further and further apart.

It seems that the forum field, no matter the topic, is quickly dwindling down to the most active forums with many others going by the wayside. Just the nature of the ever changing internet i suppose. I remember when chat rooms were all the rage and now, unless you are looking for "services" they have pretty much fallen by the wayside as well.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

I still enjoy Photocamel although I agree that the forum seems to have lost steam. Part of it could be the hack that had the forum down for awhile and some probably could be traced back to arguments over whether to critique even if the poster did not wish it. I think there is no wrong or right and I believe the moderator and owner has stopped the strife. I have tried to adopt a less strident manner and I think some of those I have often disagreed with have also done so.
No matter what you thought of Rick, he was a presence to many here and a welcome presence. Not everyone liked him, few agreed with him all the time but he did speak his mind and never tried to quiet those who disagreed with him. I think that the owner has leveled the playing field so to speak and has tried to do away with cliques and us against them and he should be commended. I do notice, however, that Photocamel is kind of like the sea, it has a low tide and a high tide.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk1000 View Post
No matter what you thought of Rick, he was a presence to many here and a welcome presence. Not everyone liked him, few agreed with him all the time but he did speak his mind and never tried to quiet those who disagreed with him. I think that the owner has leveled the playing field so to speak and has tried to do away with cliques and us against them and he should be commended. I do notice, however, that Photocamel is kind of like the sea, it has a low tide and a high tide.
I speak only for myself and no one else. How many other people found him a welcome presence I don't know, nor do I really care. I would be surprised if any two people agreed all the time and would consider any such claim to be suspect. He may have spoken his mind, but he also crossed the line from legitimate disagreement to personal insult and abuse on more than one occasion. I am not sure enough about my facts to dispute the claim that Rick "never" tried to suppress those who disagreed with him, but I would also question that claim for a couple of reasons: First, any statement concerning human affairs with a categorical "never" or "always" in it is almost always false. Second, I seem to remember his having lobbed a grenade or two in my direction intended for that very purpose, but I'm not going to bother to look them up; he isn't worth starting a big fight over. Suffice it to say his online behavior in the past has cost him my trust and respect. I will admit, however, that he has apparently pulled in his horns. I don't know what combination of reduced activity, censure from the moderators, improvement of discretion on Rick's part, has caused this. Regardless, the exodus of so many good and formerly active Camel contributors is a net loss to the site, regardless of which which side of the ledger Rick falls on.
Old 07-15-2015   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

And, I respect your opinion.
jhawk1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2898382
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
the exodus of so many good and formerly active Camel contributors is a net loss to the site
How about we leave it at that and move on ?

Cheers, Don
Don Kondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #19
Camel Breath

I think we can all agree to that one.
Old 07-16-2015   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
How about we leave it at that and move on ?
+10

Life goes on, no matter what.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: