Hilarious
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hilarious

The Online Photographer: Great Photographers on the Internet

How many of us feel like this? Sometimes I start to respond to something and wonder if this is how I sound. No worries though, I'm comfortable with my insecurity.

This is the first time I've seen this. My apologies if it's been passed around and everyone's already seen it.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
Russ Holmes

CamelKarma: 1583
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Hilarious

That wuz pretty good.

Web - http://www.focusingonflorida.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/russellholmesphotography

editing allowed, comments always welcome!
FocusingOnFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

The comments are just as funny:
Quote:
Try the article again, but focus on a single centre of interest, and crop on the left.
Old 02-28-2007   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232

Yes they are. Pretty good collective sense of humor there.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #5
Camel Breath

Location: Mental State: Just west of chaos and south of disaster.
CamelKarma: 45181

Funny stuff. I think I will visit that often so I don't run out of comments when I am here on the Camel.

www.kellylylephotography.com
www.centralillinoisweddings.com

"Opportunity knocks in vain if you don't reach out and open the door." K.C. Lyle
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #6
Camel Breath

Over on flick'r, someone posted a Cartier-Bresson, and it was voted off the island, so to speak. It goes to show that many do not know their history.
Old 07-12-2007   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Over on flick'r, someone posted a Cartier-Bresson, and it was voted off the island, so to speak. It goes to show that many do not know their history.
I find this particularly interesting because many of the "great ones" work fails to impress me.

I walked through an exhibit of Ansel Adams' early work in the Phoenix Art Museum early this year. Most of it was...boring. There were a few interesting images and it was easy to see some of his later techniques starting to come through but overall, they weren't particularly noteworthy in any respect. The ONLY reason they are worth as much as they are is his name. If my dad had taken those exact images instead of AA, they'd be considered...nothing.

I prefer to judge an image based on its merits, not the artist.
Old 07-13-2007   #8
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

What a brilliant article . Probably an easy target, but still nicely executed.

I was browsing through Flickr a few days ago and what struck me most was that the images that had the most contrast, false colour and OTT post-processing usually garnered the most favourable comments. The composition or general feel for the subject seemed to be secondary. I think you have to take photographic criticism on the Internet with a pinch of salt. Apart from on Photocamel of course .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
I find this particularly interesting because many of the "great ones" work fails to impress me.

I walked through an exhibit of Ansel Adams' early work in the Phoenix Art Museum early this year. Most of it was...boring. There were a few interesting images and it was easy to see some of his later techniques starting to come through but overall, they weren't particularly noteworthy in any respect. The ONLY reason they are worth as much as they are is his name. If my dad had taken those exact images instead of AA, they'd be considered...nothing.

I prefer to judge an image based on its merits, not the artist.
The thing you have to realize is that some of classic work had never been done before. I'm not a big fan of Ansel - too mainstream for my tastes - but consider that no one had seen that photography because it hadn't been made. Now we have 60 years of emulating those groundbreaking pictures and yes, it can be boring.
Old 07-13-2007   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
The thing you have to realize is that some of classic work had never been done before. I'm not a big fan of Ansel - too mainstream for my tastes - but consider that no one had seen that photography because it hadn't been made. Now we have 60 years of emulating those groundbreaking pictures and yes, it can be boring.
But you're referring to the more popular photos that he did, I think. Many of the "famous" stuff that photographers have done deserve the accolades they've received.

But a lot of the early work is really no different than OTHERS doing the same thing at the time. I realize it's a foundation for learning and building skills to become a great photographer....but, compared to others during the same period, it's no different than they were doing.

I use my father as an example because I have some of his work after he passed away. Looking through it and comparing it to some of the masters' early work, it's not that different and occurred at about the same time period. The only difference is that my father stopped or didn't seem to make that transition to become a great photographer. The foundations APPEAR to be the same based on the work.

Being famous shouldn't make a photograph "better".

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: