Hilarious - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007   #21
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Hilarious

You are stretching it, John
aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Stretching what? It was just an observation about myself. I actually believe this is why images that garner the most traffic have a great deal of singular impact. You know the ones I'm talking about: wild contrast, excessive post effects, deep color saturation, etc. Whereas there are plenty of images that are also good that may not have any impact. But when they are included in a display as a collection, the total impact is greater than the sum of the parts. I've personally seen this when doing my own shows in coffee shops. Images that do not receive any attention when displayed by themselves either online or in my home actually sell quite well when displayed in a logical grouping. Its the contrast created by the other images that leads the viewer.
Old 07-13-2007   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 15232

Not to change the tone, but I read a lot and I've always sort of wondered what makes a classic too. And I've come to the same conclusion as John. It has something to do with being the first to do it. To break new ground. I've read lots of classic literature that I considered very average. Some below average. I have to try to remember while I'm reading it that it was written in 1946 or 1861 or whenever and, at the time, there was nothing like it.

So the genius isn't in the specific work always but, rather, in the creativity and the imagination to create something that didn't exist before.

To me the point of the satire was to show how self-righteous and self-absorbed we all can become. Ignorant of history and ignorant of our roots, we blather on about what we "know". Pointing out in the process exactly how much we don't.

Project4145

Lee4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Ethan Frome comes to mind.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: