Lack of concern to protect privacy
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lack of concern to protect privacy

OK, so this is just a rant, but perhaps someone has had a similar experience?

First, let me say that it never ceases to amaze me, just how much personal information we are expected to just give out loud in front of strangers sometimes?

For instance, tonight I went to the Walgreens that I use to pick up two prescriptions that I had dropped off earlier. The store manager was behind the counter, along with the pharmacist, and was assisting. He gets my prescriptions, returns to the counter where I am standing - along with three complete strangers within 3 to 4 feet of me waiting to be helped also. Then, the store manager looks at the prescriptions and asks me what my address is. So, I replied with the street name that's listed on the prescriptions and did not divulge the actual numeric address of my house. To this, the store manager then asks me what is the street number of my house. I told him I preferred not to say that out loud in front of strangers.

I loved what happened next. The store manager squinches his eyes looking quite confused as to what he should do next, so he goes over to the pharmacist and asks if he is able to sell me my prescriptions without me telling him the street number of my house. She understood exactly and told him that was fine.

I just find it amusing that the store manager sees nothing wrong at all with me giving him the street that I live on, and the street number of my house, out loud in front of a bunch of strangers who have no need to know that sort of personal information, in order to sell me a prescription that I had to show my ID when I dropped of the prescriptions earlier. I would have been happy to pull out my driver's license and show him my photo ID with address, but I'm just not about to announce to a bunch of strangers exactly where I live.

I hear stuff like this all the time, we're asked to say out loud (often with strangers present) our home address, our phone number, our social security number, etc. Perhaps I'm a little off, but I hear people just providing this sensitive information out loud in front of people they don't know all the time.

LOL - I just don't do that!

Anyone have similar experiences?

Rant over...................Thanks

Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
This is the Internet and sometimes you just have to put your big boy pants on.
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Lack of concern to protect privacy

I don't think the street number is a big deal. Everyone who is really interested in it can either just follow you home or probably look it up, and even then, what do they have to gain from it?

The SSN on the other hand...
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

That's nothing.

After buying condoms and checking out at a supermarket, while the then girlfriend is next to me, the cashier picks up the microphone and yells "condom, aisle 5, condom, aisle 5"

Old 11-06-2014   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Whats embarassing about that. Id be saying 'Yeah, they are mine". Now if it was a feminine hygene product, different story. But no shame in people knowing youre getting some.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Erich, if the store manager was really hitting on you he would have asked for your phone number. That's why I go to CVS!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

At least they have that part of security somewhat correct. Though I agree about being within ear range of strangers.

At our local pharmacy the clerk behind the counter says my address and asks me if I live there.
All anyone has to say is, "yeah, I do," and they're of with a prescription.

Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 289549

We're all responsible to one degree or another: the store should have customers waiting *away* from the counter (to avoid what you have rightfully identified as an issue) and we as customers can also reply to requests with a voice just loud enough to carry to the clerk's (manager's, in your case) ears, or be prepared to whip out the photo ID if we don't wish to broadcast our personal info.
SandySunball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

Nice..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Erich, if the store manager was really hitting on you he would have asked for your phone number. That's why I go to CVS!
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Whats embarassing about that.
Because the girl was standing next to me If I were alone, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Now if it was a feminine hygene product, different story.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: