To your good health - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: To your good health

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Gal View Post
I decided to watch episode 7. I got as far as hearing that mammograms cause breast cancer. I didn't feel like watching any more of the lesson or any other episodes due to the fallacy of that remark.
Technically, the claim that mammograms cause breast cancer is accepted by mainline medicine to be true - half-true anyway - just as the application of any ionizing radiation does some chromosome damage. However, mainline medicine still recommends mammogram screening because the screening detects many more existing cancers in time to treat them effectively than the few new cancers the ionizing radiation produces. In fact, no practicing doctor can adhere strictly to the passage in the Hippocratic Oath to "do no harm" and still be effective. The trick is to do minimal harm while doing much greater good.

Another example is chemotherapy, which is an attempt to poison the cancerous tissue without doing undue damage to the healthy tissue. Nevertheless, some harm is done to the healthy tissue, but resulting side effects are considered a fair tradeoff for getting rid of the cancer without killing the patient. Ditto radiation treatments and even surgery, where a lot of healthy tissue is often removed along with the cancer to ensure getting all of the cancer without inadvertently breaking off pieces of the malignant tissue and spreading the disease to other parts of the body. Surgery, especially under general anaesthesia, also carries risks of its own.

That said, I am no great fan of alternative medicine either. It is with good reason that mainline medicine looks with suspicion on such such alternatives: most of them turn out to be ineffective at best, doing no more good than any other placebo, and some are downright dangerous. (Does anybody remember Laetrile?)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes

Re X-rays: Personally, I don't want any of my body parts X-rayed because I've had too many of them. Being a cancer survivor, I opt for ultrasound screening, which I get since I once had a "hot spot" that showed up in a mammogram. It's gone now, but I have the test now and then as part of my physical exam.

When I was a little girl, shoe stores had X-ray machines that would X-ray your feet to "see" if your new shoes fit right. I don't know how long they were used before they were disposed of.

Although, X-rays of flowers are quite beautiful. I have one in a frame.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Gal View Post
When I was a little girl, shoe stores had X-ray machines that would X-ray your feet to "see" if your new shoes fit right. I don't know how long they were used before they were disposed of.

Although, X-rays of flowers are quite beautiful. I have one in a frame.
I've heard of that being done, but I came along almost smack in the middle of the baby boom and I don't remember anyone having done anything like that to me. I thought they had discontinued the practice by then.

And those must have been really soft (low-energy, low-penetration) x-rays for the flower to produce a decent image.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #14
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 236397

If you missed any or all of this Free series and would like to view it, you may go here:
Replay Marathon The Quest For The Cures...Continues | The Truth About Cancer .
Old 12-01-2014   #15
Bactrian

Bump!
Playing through tonight.
Old 12-06-2014   #16
Bactrian

Here's their facebook page for anyone interested.
https://www.facebook.com/thetruthaboutcancer .

Pony is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: