Smart Watches
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Smart Watches

Yesterday I was at a political meeting. It was held in a college and some of the students were present. I suspect media studies students. Anyway, two of them were playing rather obviously with smart watches.

I was looking at them wondering precisely what the point of a $300ish chunk of nothingness was being used for. I just can't see any particular use nor reason to have one. Has anybody got one and what on earth are they used for? All I've heard is they're the lazy man's way to access the phone that's in their pocket.

Old 10-01-2014   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 405
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Smart Watches

My (cynical) view is they're used for being noticed. It worked with you, didn't it? (And I'm no better--was at a fancy dinner over the weekend with ~30 people, and the one guy my eyes leapt to was the one with what appeared to be a miniature tablet strapped to his wrist.)
cldellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014   #3
Guanaco

LOL. Yes. $300 for a "come look at me" gimmick is a bit steep IMHO.

Mind, I remember about 25 years ago being on a train and a phone rang. A gentleman answered the phone-brick that was in his briefcase. Everybody else looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

These days it's a case more of "What? You haven't got a mobile phone - are you crazy!!!!" I wonder whether it will be the same path with smartwatches or whether they'll do a Pronea and sink beneath the waves.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

I remember the calculator-watches from 1983. I had given a co-worker who owned one a ride to lunch and found the watch in my car that evening. I took a long look at it before returning it to him the next day, wondering if I would actually use the calculator function, noting that the buttons were very small and their tops were convex, so even if you tried a pencil point to push them, you had to hold onto the pencil tightly and push straight down lest the point slide off the button. I decided against getting one for myself.

And I don't have a cell phone either. My wife still has a small flip-open phone from before 2000 that she still uses but only occasionally. I may borrow it for occasions when I may need to use a phone out in the field, but it has no camera, no calculator, no internet access, and no texting. If I need a computer at work, I can usually borrow one without much trouble, and I have a perfectly good digital watch that tells me the time, day of the month, and day of the week. That is all I normally require of a watch. It also has some stopwatch functions that I never use, but I couldn't find a watch with just the features I want and nothing else anymore. As for the calculator function, I usually have my TI-84 plus in my briefcase, but usually I can just borrow my tutee's calculator. I hate the small buttons without tactile feedback on those cell phones, especially when using them as scientific calculators!
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

I caved and got a smart phone a few years ago. On it I have my exposure calculator, model and property release forms, EOS remote and Golden Hour calculator. Not to mention calendar, maps, web browser, games and other diversions.

I used to have all my camera and flash manuals on my smartphone too but I transferred those to my tablet for easier reading.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
I was looking at them wondering precisely what the point of a $300ish chunk of nothingness was being used for. I just can't see any particular use nor reason to have one.
I also don't understand why anyone would buy one. I guess there are quite a few folks out there who just have to have the "cool," regardless of how useless it is.

Here are some questions:

1. How many years have you been alive?

2. How many of those years have you wanted a "smart watch"?

3. If you suddenly learned that there was a "smart watch" capable of reminding you to take a jog or else you would not meet your fitness goal for the day, would you run out and buy it?

4. If you had a "smart watch" that alerted you to the latest text message on the iphone in your pocket, how cool would you find that?

Me, personally, I have been proudly wearing *no watch* for the past 10 (or more) years, and I don't plan on wearing one any time soon (nice try, Apple). No watch, no wedding ring, no jewelry: happy.

"Less is more."

What I find most curious is that the smartphone (thanks, Apple) has largely made watches obsolete. No one needs a watch, for the time is always displayed on the phone. Now, though, Apple (and others) want to get the watch back on our wrists. I don't think so. This might be a sign of a company about to implode.

I have an idea for Apple. How about an iDebtFree? It's a contract that forces you not to buy any new technology gadget for the next 10 years, instead putting the money you would have spent toward paying off all of your debt? Service charge is just 10 percent of the debt you would have incurred.

What do you think?
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #7
Guanaco

Well, I'm debt free. I'm planning on selling off more camera gear that I just don't use. I'm planning on dumping rented accommodation and moving into a life on the road - probably going to get an old school bus and convert it into a motor home. That way, if my neighbors suck, I can move house as soon as I find they suck!
Old 10-02-2014   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
Well, I'm debt free. I'm planning on selling off more camera gear that I just don't use. I'm planning on dumping rented accommodation and moving into a life on the road - probably going to get an old school bus and convert it into a motor home. That way, if my neighbors suck, I can move house as soon as I find they suck!
Good for you, Naked! There's nothing like freedom.

Less is more.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #9
Guanaco

Yup. Even started a blog about it... Www.schoolbushome.blogspot.com
Old 10-05-2014   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 519927
Editing OK?: Ask First

I am looking for a smart watch that will accurately monitor my heart rate.
Since I have sudden cardiac arrest syndrome, I like to stay on top of any cardiac fluctuations. However, since I am tighter than a mouse's butthole, I am looking in the hundred dollar range.
Before you ask, if my heart stops, I'll have at least two minutes to call my wife and say my goodbyes.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: