Smart Watches - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014   #21
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Smart Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Didn't read any of the posts here. Heck, didn't read anything about "smart watches" either.

But I think smart watches is a dumb idea. It's like a useless invention waiting for a reason to exist.
Don't be in such a hurry to dismiss an idea before examining it. A "smart" watch would have these advantages:

* Very portable and can always be with you.

* Suitable for "no-hands" operation, with perhaps one hand to set the function with a limited set of controls.

* Proven technology to make resistant to mechanical shock and, if necessary submersible.

But there are some limitations about what a "smart" watch can do:

* Small display, too small for a photographic image or much text.

* Small size means limited amount of space for energy storage, hence must continually renew its energy supply, e.g., mechanical generation as in the old self-winding watches, manuall6-wound mainsprings, or photocells, or must operate on limited long-term energy source, e.g., a button cell.

* Limited real estate for control buttons and display.

* Subject to mechanical shock.

However, watches and compasses can be made to fit and operate in such an enclosure. Perhaps the band could be fitted with sensors for bio-monitoring functions or an antenna for picking up GPS signals.

Other possible functions?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014   #22
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

The big downer will be battery life. Anything with GPS will suck a battery dry quickly.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #23
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

In that case, you may want a momentary pushbutton to activate the feature when needed, much like the auxiliary light that some watches now have for reading them in the dark. Many cameras with status LCDs also often have such lights. Or perhaps leave the GPS feature for a physically larger device that has room for a battery of suitable capacity.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
I notice there are always some to jump up with the same kind of comments about pretty much anything and everything new that comes along. There are literally hundreds of stories about new technology or devices that were met with scorn and ridicule that had the last laugh on the naysayers.

I don't see a personal need for one for myself at this time. But I'm not presumptuous enough to think that nobody else can find actual beneficial use for one, nor that my own mind can't and won't be changed in the future.

I had no use for a "smart" phone for the longest time either, sticking with my old flip phone that did "everything I need".
You are right.

But then again, how happy has all of this crap actually made us? How has the quality of our lives actually improved? I think this is the sentiment behind the words of most naysayers (aka curmudgeons).

One of my favorite movie lines ever comes from Ethan Hawke in the movie Before Sunrise:
You know what drives me crazy? It's all these people talking about how great technology is, and how it saves all this time. But what good is saved time if nobody uses it? If it just turns into more busy work? You never hear somebody say, "With the time I've saved by using my word processor, I'm gonna go to a Zen monastery and hang out." I mean, you never hear that.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Well I have a smart watch. Indeed these are not terribly smart now, but I can have a new dial plate everyday if I want to do. Hearbeat counts, stepcount, uses the gps from my phone to direct me to a place, sms/email/twitter messages are displayed, can use it to regulate the music I'm listening to in the train, can be used as a torch light.

And then I again, I would give it up in a heartbeat if I could get one of these for the same price!
Old 10-12-2014   #26
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
Well I have a smart watch. Indeed these are not terribly smart now, but I can have a new dial plate everyday if I want to do. Hearbeat counts, stepcount, uses the gps from my phone to direct me to a place, sms/email/twitter messages are displayed, can use it to regulate the music I'm listening to in the train, can be used as a torch light.
Hi, Rense.

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't really want to know how fast his heart is beating at any given point?

I must be missing something important.
JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #27
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
Hi, Rense.

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't really want to know how fast his heart is beating at any given point?

America runs on hypochondria - from the adverts for medications on TV to that pointless annual physical many Americans go through. It's no wonder America is obsessed with pulse rates etc. To a Brit living in America, it's just plain bizarre. All I care about my pulse is whether its still beating or not. If it's not, I have nothing to worry about. If it is then I could worry if I wanted to. No wonder with all this worry about health, the anti-depressants sell so well.

I'm really not seeing any advantage in these smart watches. I do recall an ordinary wristwatch of the 90s that measured pulse rate and blood pressure.

I'm not knocking the technology. I'd like it to become worthwhile. A longer battery life for example. How they're going to get a readable screen onto a smartwatch, I have no idea. Panning and scrolling is not my idea of fun.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014   #28
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128

This `telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a practical form of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
- Western Union internal memo, 1878

What use could this company make of an electrical toy?
- Western Union president William Orton, responding to an offer from Alexander Graham Bell to sell his telephone company to Western Union for $100,000.

Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.
- Editorial in the Boston Post (1865)

Radio has no future.
- Lord Kelvin (1824-1907), British mathematician and physicist, ca. 1897.

While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
- Lee DeForest, 1926 (American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube.)

[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
- Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century-Fox, 1946.

"The Wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out,"
- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself."
- The head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #29
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
Hi, Rense.

Well both of my brothers died from an heart attack. I have a sitting job, so its good to get some feedback in order to start some movement.

I'm supporting this kind of science/technics because in the future lives can be better.

Also I like numbers, so I can get a daily stream .

In fact I'm planning for 2015 to wear an Arduino full of body sensors for a month.
Old 10-18-2014   #30
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
America runs on hypochondria - from the adverts for medications on TV to that pointless annual physical many Americans go through. It's no wonder America is obsessed with pulse rates etc. To a Brit living in America, it's just plain bizarre. All I care about my pulse is whether its still beating or not. If it's not, I have nothing to worry about. If it is then I could worry if I wanted to. No wonder with all this worry about health, the anti-depressants sell so well.

I'm really not seeing any advantage in these smart watches. I do recall an ordinary wristwatch of the 90s that measured pulse rate and blood pressure.

I'm not knocking the technology. I'd like it to become worthwhile. A longer battery life for example. How they're going to get a readable screen onto a smartwatch, I have no idea. Panning and scrolling is not my idea of fun.
Excellent and honest post

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: