Smart Watches - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 3178128
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Smart Watches

When I got my first computer in 1981, I got the same kinds of comments from friends and family who said owning a "personal" computer had no use and no future.

I notice there are always some to jump up with the same kind of comments about pretty much anything and everything new that comes along. There are literally hundreds of stories about new technology or devices that were met with scorn and ridicule that had the last laugh on the naysayers.

I don't see a personal need for one for myself at this time. But I'm not presumptuous enough to think that nobody else can find actual beneficial use for one, nor that my own mind can't and won't be changed in the future.

I had no use for a "smart" phone for the longest time either, sticking with my old flip phone that did "everything I need".

When a coworker walked me through the myriad of things they could actually accomplish with their smartphone, by showing it to me in person as they walked me through it, a giant light bulb suddenly lit up in my brain, and I jumped in my truck and headed straight for the nearest Verizon store to get one. I have never regretted it.

For those with such interests, here's a page that lists the gear I use: Buck's Gear

Life is like photography... FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out, TAKE ANOTHER SHOT!!!
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first

I agree... There might be a use for a smart watch at some point but right now I cant fathom one. I didn't have a smartphone until 2011 myself. Then I had a series of really terrible smart phones before I dumped Virgin and got a Nexus then a Walmart Sim card. Now I love mine. In fact I'm probably dumping my DSL and going to hotspots and my phone as a hotspot.

I didn't see much use for tablets and had one of those god awful nook color things which I quickly disposed of. Now I have a cheap ass rca tablet ($50, Walmart) that's slow as molasses but works. I might upgrade that.

Laptop v tablet v desktop? I'd go with a laptop for most things but I get the feeling that if tablets become more powerful, they could replace both. The surface is the only candudate thus far but as I don't do windows, I'm still waiting.

Watch this space but I don't think I will have a smart watch until it combines with a teleportation function.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375

My son & son-in-law both have them. They had them pre-ordered so they've had them a while now. They've found all kinds of uses for them, although I have no idea what those uses are.
Old 10-05-2014   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7177814
Editing OK?: No

Why would I care a smartphone in my pocket when I could have it on my wrist? Didn't Capt Kirk have one of those.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I have a smart phone that isn't smart because I don't want it to be, or don't need it to be. It allows me to talk to people, and text people. Done. So what do I need a smart watch for? When the smart watch can let me talk to people, and text people, without having a bigger device in my pocket or close by, let me know.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon 1 Shooter View Post
I am looking for a smart watch that will accurately monitor my heart rate.
Since I have sudden cardiac arrest syndrome, I like to stay on top of any cardiac fluctuations. However, since I am tighter than a mouse's butthole, I am looking in the hundred dollar range.
Before you ask, if my heart stops, I'll have at least two minutes to call my wife and say my goodbyes.
Good luck calling your wife when you are unconscious! My father had an arrhythmia in which his heart stopped for a few seconds before restarting. Before we knew what was going on, he had an episode that happened right in front of me and went down as if he were a tin soldier that had fallen over. According to him, he was starting out the front door one moment and was on the couch (where he had landed) the next. A heart pacemaker straightened out that problem.

Instead of - or in addition to - a telephone, I think I would like to have a GPS locator and some kind of vital sign monitor/recorder in mine that I could use as a map and compass if I were lost or as an automated version of 911 caller that could summon help if I were rendered unconscious or hit a panic button. I don't know of anything like that on the market at present.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 519927

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Good luck calling your wife when you are unconscious! My father had an arrhythmia in which his heart stopped for a few seconds before restarting. Before we knew what was going on, he had an episode that happened right in front of me and went down as if he were a tin soldier that had fallen over. According to him, he was starting out the front door one moment and was on the couch (where he had landed) the next. A heart pacemaker straightened out that problem.
What your father has was probably Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. See if you can guess how I know that! My pacemaker was installed back in January of 2013.
I am still having problems that the docs can't find a solution to, so my expectations of waking up each morning are limited.
Experience has shown that I usually have two minutes of consciousness before I crash. Hence, my goodbyes plan.
Nikon 1 Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014   #18
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I have a smart phone that isn't smart because I don't want it to be, or don't need it to be. It allows me to talk to people, and text people. Done. So what do I need a smart watch for? When the smart watch can let me talk to people, and text people, without having a bigger device in my pocket or close by, let me know.
I'm on the verge of dumping my home internet connection and going solely 3G with my internet. My existing phone will give me 5GB of data a month. Using wifi hotspots reduces my wifi usage and I can plan uploads around my times near wifi. There's nothing to say that I must upload a 20mb photo now as opposed to in 4 days time.

Partly this has also driven my desire to go mobile with my accommodation too.

As far as my smartphone - I use a lot of facilities that can't be done on an ordinary phone. I use:
  • Google Voice - allows me to pre-screen all my calls and block spam and people I don't want to hear from as well as it texts me with a full transcription of any voicemail.
  • Skype - to phone abroad when I'm on wifi
  • E-mail - very useful in today's job market. I've responded to emails instantly and had the job because of that.
  • GPS - The most important feature. Without GPS I'd still be trying to find my way out of Cleveland airport.
  • Calendar - useful because my girlfriend/secretary can add new things as they turn up.
  • Camera - handy for on the go photography and for sending pictures back to the GF. EG - is this the product you wanted.
I'm not saying everybody needs a smartphone. I *can* live without one as I can live without internet or a phone. It makes life easier.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Didn't read any of the posts here. Heck, didn't read anything about "smart watches" either.

But I think smart watches is a dumb idea. It's like a useless invention waiting for a reason to exist.
Old 10-08-2014   #20
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Didn't read any of the posts here. Heck, didn't read anything about "smart watches" either.

But I think smart watches is a dumb idea. It's like a useless invention waiting for a reason to exist.
Yup. This is what we invented. No go find a use for it. A bit like all that junk in the "as seen on TV" stores.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: