Duck's day job - Page 8
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2014   #71
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Duck's day job

Unfortunately cultural differences tend to play a big role in prejudice. Often on a very hostile level. Take our current socio-political turmoil with the Middle East. How many times do you hear on the news of some act of violence brought onto someone that looks Arab just because of the way they are dressed? I've personally witnessed an Indian family getting harassed by two punks, calling them "towel heads". Funny thing was, they were neither wearing turbans nor are they Muslim. The prejudice within these two idiots ran so deep that they show their ignorance to innocent people who have nothing to do with the problems in the Mid East.

I tattoo many bikers in my area. Every year they do several bike runs to raise money for a variety of charities. Some are personal for family or friends that have run into hardships, others are for national causes (Toys-for-Tots, Wounded Warrior Project, etc.) These guys are not hardened criminals. They aren't gun runners, drug smugglers or cooking meth in some back alley warehouse. They are family oriented, blue collar workers. They work hard and when it's time to play, they play hard. When it comes to helping others, they're the first ones to volunteer. There is nothing anyone can tell me that will make me think of these guys as scary.

If someone has a personal issue with tattoos and do not want them on their own body because of religious, social or political reasons, that's fine. That's their choice and their right. That does not give them the right to exert their beliefs onto someone else. We have enough of that going on in this world as it is.

Tattoos freak AAM1234. That's fine. I have no problem with that. There are many individuals who present themselves in a scary fashion. I may not agree with his science claim, but that's okay too. But, on the flip side, I would like to get a better understanding as to why AAM1234 gets freaked out because, like me, maybe there can be a new understanding of the art/lifestyle.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #72
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt360 View Post
Interesting series about prejudice... Over the top but interesting
Judging America: A Series of Jarring Portrait GIFs that Alternate Between Stereotype and Reality
This particular series of portraits raises some questions in my mind that the photographer probably didn't intend:

* How were the models' alter egos chosen? To what extent did the models' preferences and actual personalities influence the choice of alter ego? To what extent to the models approve of the result?

* Which image is conceals more? Which misleads more? To me, at least, one of the biggest lessons I took away from this series was how little the formal portraits of the people in business suits reveal about the people in them.

* Assuming that the depicted alter egos were chosen entirely by the photographer, what motivated the models to give their consent to being depicted in such a way?

* More to the point of this thread: Some of the models are depicted in their alter egos as having tattoos. Are these tattoos entirely genuine or have they been augmented or even entirely created with makeup?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #73
F1 Camel

Personally, I think that series fails as a social commentary as it forces us to view an artifical stereotype the photographer has created and then expects the viewer to somehow make an association with the real person behind the disguise. For example, the first image of the nurse on his web site. Never in a million years could I look at her and assume she was an AK toting jihadist.

I think a better presentation would have been the reverse. Showing the person as we would normally see them in society and then reveal their real tattoos underneath. Not these faked photo shopped caricatures.

So, I guess all Irish are drunks, all Italians are mobsters, Japanese are martial artists, Muslims are terrorists, priests are child molesters, fat people are lazy slobs and photographers are perverts.

Hmm, I see a new series here...
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #74
F1 Camel

SkullSplash01.jpg

Started a new personal project for my studio wall...

(my version of smudge painting )

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: