Duck's day job - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014   #41
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Duck's day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilva View Post
And he still has his OPINION, and you are not going to change it so why do you keep dogging it? This forum really disappoints me anymore.

Beat each other up all you want, I am out of this post.
Implicit in such a statement is that all opinions are of the same worth and cannot be changed, but that is not true. One purpose of opinions is to form a working model of the real world in the absence of absolute knowledge. The likelihood and extent of its conformance to the real world is an important measure of the worth of such an opinion. The current kerfuffle notwithstanding, I believe aam1234 to be basically a reasonable person who can and perhaps will change his opinion when given sufficient reason to do so. I can't change his opinion for him, but I can offer evidence that his current opinion ill-matches reality and that a modification of it is in order.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #42
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Waw, Allen. That was deep. Very deep.

This tatto discussion is so shallow that I want out of it.

Thank you very much
Old 09-18-2014   #43
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 100861

Art is art, whether on canvas or skin. You lead an interesting and varied life.

Some people are like 10 speed bikes. They have speeds they have never used.

Garry
barklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #44
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by barklake View Post
Art is art, whether on canvas or skin. You lead an interesting and varied life.
But one problem with tattoos as opposed to other art is that it is permanent, or at least is intended to be. Human tastes change over time, including one's own. With other forms of art, the owner can sell it, physically move it to the attic, paint over it, or otherwise get it out of your face fairly easily if you want to. That is not so easy with a tattoo on one's own body. If you elect to get a tattoo, you are committed to it in a way that you are not with most other forms of art, so you'd better be sure that you will like it, or at least be willing to live with it, for the rest of your life. Just ask Lee Trevino, one famous person who had buyer's remorse. He had the name of a former girlfriend tattooed to his forearm, which he covered with a small bandage throughout most of his golfing career.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #45
Camel Breath

Well said, Allen.

If I may add: 1) A tattoo is very painful to remove 2) And most importantly, one can not remove it completely. There will still be traces of it after a removal procedure (very expensive too).

Let me cite another study against tattoos. This time I remember the source but don't have a link to the exact article. You can google it if you wish.

In a recent article in The Economist, they pointed out a study on how sporting a tattoo diminishes a person's likelihood of employment in a job interview.

Don't take my word for it, look the article up in that magazine. It was published about 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-19-2014   #46
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2006629

aam1234 - your probably thinking of these type

https://www.google.ca/search?q=world...2F%3B350%3B299
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #47
Camel Breath

Ha ha, no. That's too extreme. I don't think anybody in the group is into that (at least I hope so )

However, maybe I am too extreme when it comes to tattoos, or the so-called "body art".

Let me give a theoretical example. Being a guy, if the most desirable girl in the world undresses before me and I saw a tiny tattoo on her body, I will run away as if a cheetah is chasing me.

That's an imaginary scenario, not a real one
Old 09-19-2014   #48
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690
Editing OK?: Yes

Yes, in theory you would run away.

In real life, I highly doubt that's a scenario you will ever be faced with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Let me give a theoretical example. Being a guy, if the most desirable girl in the world undresses before me and I saw a tiny tattoo on her body, I will run away as if a cheetah is chasing me.

That's an imaginary scenario, not a real one
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #49
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
...Let me cite another study against tattoos. This time I remember the source but don't have a link to the exact article. You can google it if you wish.

In a recent article in The Economist, they pointed out a study on how sporting a tattoo diminishes a person's likelihood of employment in a job interview.

Don't take my word for it, look the article up in that magazine. It was published about 3 weeks ago.
Well, here is something I can agree with you, to an extent. whenever a young person comes in looking to get something large on their lower arm or their neck I try to talk them out of placing it in such a prominent location. Especially if it is their first tattoo. Case in point;

I had a young guy in, just turned 18, looking for his first tattoo. He asked for a price on getting "Aquetas" and "Veritas" in large letters running down his forearms. (This tattoo is from the movie "Boondock Saints".) I told him he should consider getting them someplace else, in a not so prevalent location. He was insistent on getting them there and I was insistent on him getting it someplace else. He asked why and I gave him a number of reasons ranging from body aesthetics to citing the very same reason as above (potential job prejudices). I told him he needed to think about his future before limiting it. His response; "I know what I'll be doing."

Yeah, I chuckled to myself on that one too, but to humor him I asked, "what?"

"I'm going to be a teacher," was his reply.

He was going to be a teacher, not I am a teacher. Not even out of high school and he's dead sure on his future. Gotta love the naivete of the young.

For those who may not know why I found this so humorous let me explain. Both my parents were teachers, I am married to a teacher, our friends are teachers, I went to college to become a teacher (I got smart) but... I am an instructor. I know something about the way the school systems work. I warned him and he was still insistent. I finally got to the point of aggravation that I flat out told him I wouldn't do it.

"But if you were to do it, how much would it be?"

"Get out!"

I was not going to be responsible for adding to his bad decision. Unfortunately I know he would just go to the next shop until someone said, "okay."
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #50
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
In real life, I highly doubt that's a scenario you will ever be faced with.
I may not be the most good looking guy in the world, but believe me, I have to fend off girls from time to time. Again, not because of my looks, but for some mysterious reasons, which I don't understand.

Social status, perhaps. I don't know. But some of the girls are the heaviest in terms of social status.

Still confused, to be honest.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: