Duck's day job - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014   #31
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Duck's day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
I came across that study some time ago. Wish I can quote it.

Regardless. Ask 10 people on the street what they think about tattoo people, and 9 out of 10 will say that they are "scary" people.

Agree or disagree?
Disagree. Perhaps 20 years ago that may have had some semblance of truth but with today's media saturation of the tattoo industry, I seriously doubt that stands up to inspection. However, if you said that, "completely tattooed people can seem scary," I will have to agree with that. Someone who is substantially covered can appear quite foreboding. However, once you get to know them you will find that they are not that scary. Quite the opposite, I find they are quite decent people.

To categorize all people who have tattoos as scary is unfair. Just as if I said, "all photographers are perverts," would be false. Sure, there are some people who make the headlines because they used a camera to catch someone changing in the bathroom. That doesn't mean everyone with a camera is of the same mindframe. The same goes for the study that says all tattooed people have some form of mental issue.

People have been modifying their bodies for as long as there have been humans on this earth. There are well documented findings of this in every culture across every continent. So that scientific study then assumes that humans, on a whole and throughout time, have been mentally disturbed. That fails on an empirical level.

Cultural influences aside, human's desire for outward beauty is a deep seeded desire. If it wasn't there would be a whole sector of fashion and beauty professionals out of work. There is a motivation within each of us to present, outwardly, a certain perceived beauty we feel inwardly. We use various means to accentuate this outward beauty based on socio-economic, religious and cultural standards as well as available materials and technology. On the simplest level, beautification starts with grooming, cutting and styling hair, maintaining a certain accepted level of conformity (shaving legs, using deodorant, trimming nails, etc.) Then it progresses to more advance levels of sophistication with clothing styles, makeup, diet and exercise. We are so in tuned to the subtleties of this that we can tell a person's social, religious and economic standing just by the clothing they wear. The problem with beautification is that we strive to also stand out from others. We want to look sexier, taller, more fit, more macho, more... whatever.

As our planet shrinks and becomes more populated, the desire to stand out from the crowd becomes more complex. In a world where everyone wears a navy blue suit with a silver tie, the guy with the yellow tie will stand out. But not everyone can wear a yellow tie because then there is accidental conformity (otherwise know as a fad). We have come to the point where people are borrowing from other cultures or inventing new ways to beautify and separate themselves from the norm. Those that go to extremes get labeled while the remainder become the status quo.

In my eyes, there is no difference between a "regular person" and a "heavily tattooed and pierced person". Both put on large earrings, color their skin and enhance their look in order to achieve a sense of self worth and outer beauty. One does it with makeup and hair dyes, designer jeans and finger jewelry while the other does it with permanent makeup and hair dyes, designer jeans and ear jewelry.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #32
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes

When I was growing up, ex-cons and military men had tattoos. To me, they were a tough guy indicator. They weren't trendy in America yet, and there weren't many tattoo parlors around here even though I live near three military bases, Miramar, North Island and Camp Pendleton. Time changes everything, though.

I had a girlfriend who had a large colorful dragon tattooed on her back. I didn't ask her why she wanted it if she could never see it, but now I wish I had. At the time, she was the only female I knew with a tattoo. (1970's)

Here's an article from a psychiatric publication dated July 2010. I didn't read all of it because it's long and boring, but if you Ctrl F the word, disturbed, it is mentioned twice. Maybe it's the one aam1234 read.
Tattoos: what is their significance?

Maybe I should go back and read it. I might learn why Charmaine loved a tattoo she could never look at.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #33
Llama

CamelKarma: 295414

Quote:

Regardless. Ask 10 people on the street what they think about tattoo people, and 9 out of 10 will say that they are "scary" people.

Agree or disagree?
So you generalize about all folks with tattoos based on article you kinda remember reading some time ago, but can't find now to quote? And you wonder why you were "warned"?

I think it would behoove you to have your facts on hand before making broad generalizations, especially when there's a good chance you mis-categorize and offend many who will read your post.

FWIW, I don't have a single tattoo, nor to I plan at this stage to ever get one. Times have changed, though and I don't think tattoos carry the stigma they carried in the past. I do have a friend in her '60's that just walked the Camino de Santiago. She got a tat of the icon you see that marks the trail. I think it's kind of neat. She's about as middle-of-the-road as they come and definitely not "disturbed".
DianaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #34
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:

Agree or disagree?
Have you had bad experiences or any contact with "tattoo people" directly?
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #35
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

Boy, the public school system you attended as really let you down! Your post reflects a complete inability to think.

OK, I'll ask ten people on the street. I'll find the first ten people with tattoos that I see, and ask them what they think about tattoo'd people.

Quote:

Agree or disagree?
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #36
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 202180

Just because aam1234 has a different view than most of you doesn't mean you should gang up on him. He is entitled to his views just as you are.

Why can't we all just get along?

Thank you.

-Tony
tsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #37
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilva View Post
Just because aam1234 has a different view than most of you doesn't mean you should gang up on him. He is entitled to his views just as you are.

Thank you.

-Tony
Thank you for commenting.

Tony is right. AAM1234 made some general comments, I countered with my opinion. There is no need to belittle or insult a person for having a different point of view.

If you want to argue anyone's stand on the subject, that's fine. Argue about the form of logic used, argue about the lack of supporting evidence but don't insult a person's character.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #38
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilva View Post

In strictly matters of taste, you might be right. However, aam1234's statement of his opinion is very extreme, saying in effect that everyone, without exception, who has ever gotten a tattoo was mentally disturbed - whatever he may mean by that - at the time they received the tattoo. He didn't actually say how "disturbed" they had to be or how likely that they have since recovered, but such a statement sticks the unfair label "mentally disturbed" on Duck's entire customer base, not to mention to Duck himself, who also has a (small) tattoo, most of whom probably don't deserve such a label.

Furthermore, He cannot simply claim that this is only a personal opinion because he has claimed that "science" backs him up on this. Except it doesn't. When called upon to back up such a claim, he could not do so. Another poster has posted a bit of research that makes the claim that people who have tattoos are more likely to have mental problems requiring psychological help, but this is far from saying everyone with a tat requires psychological help. I also suspect that the support to which aam1234 actually refers was similarly circumspect in its claims. If it wasn't, the paper most likely in a publication with a scientific reputation about on the level of the supermarket tabloids. A researcher who claimed that everyone (or even an overwhelming majority) of people with such an external feature have mental disturbances would require overwhelming evidence to avoid damaging his credibility and reputation so severely that his career would permanently become toast. Besides, such an extreme claim is patently false - I can vouch for the (relative) mental stability of at least two of three family members or long-term acquaintances with tats that immediately come to mind. Number three may be a bit marginal in some respects but isn't completely off the rails. Although someone might question the support of even the version in the supplied paper, doing so would get technical mighty quick and woud take more time than the subject would be worth to me. Besides, my gut feeling is that the conclusion may be more or less right.

At no point have I impugned aam1234's character; then again, he has occasionally made similarly rash posts for which he has suffered quite a bit of backlash. This time, although one or two of the responses may be a bit too snarky, in my opinion, he fully deserves most of the grief he has gotten so far.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #39
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

aam1234's study that he claims, was probably published in The Onion - LOL.

The Onion - America's Finest News Source

FWIW - I have nine tattoos, and I'm a licensed psychotherapist. I must be pretty disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
In strictly matters of taste, you might be right. However, aam1234's statement of his opinion is very extreme, saying in effect that everyone, without exception, who has ever gotten a tattoo was mentally disturbed - whatever he may mean by that - at the time they received the tattoo. He didn't actually say how "disturbed" they had to be or how likely that they have since recovered, but such a statement sticks the unfair label "mentally disturbed" on Duck's entire customer base, not to mention to Duck himself, who also has a (small) tattoo, most of whom probably don't deserve such a label.

Furthermore, He cannot simply claim that this is only a personal opinion because he has claimed that "science" backs him up on this. Except it doesn't. When called upon to back up such a claim, he could not do so. Another poster has posted a bit of research that makes the claim that people who have tattoos are more likely to have mental problems requiring psychological help, but this is far from saying everyone with a tat requires psychological help. I also suspect that the support to which aam1234 actually refers was similarly circumspect in its claims. If it wasn't, the paper most likely in a publication with a scientific reputation about on the level of the supermarket tabloids. A researcher who claimed that everyone (or even an overwhelming majority) of people with such an external feature have mental disturbances would require overwhelming evidence to avoid damaging his credibility and reputation so severely that his career would permanently become toast. Besides, such an extreme claim is patently false - I can vouch for the (relative) mental stability of at least two of three family members or long-term acquaintances with tats that immediately come to mind. Number three may be a bit marginal in some respects but isn't completely off the rails. Although someone might question the support of even the version in the supplied paper, doing so would get technical mighty quick and woud take more time than the subject would be worth to me. Besides, my gut feeling is that the conclusion may be more or less right.

At no point have I impugned aam1234's character; then again, he has occasionally made similarly rash posts for which he has suffered quite a bit of backlash. This time, although one or two of the responses may be a bit too snarky, in my opinion, he fully deserves most of the grief he has gotten so far.
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #40
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 202180

And he still has his OPINION, and you are not going to change it so why do you keep dogging it? This forum really disappoints me anymore.

Beat each other up all you want, I am out of this post.

-Tony

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: