Duck's day job - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014   #21
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Duck's day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgal View Post
wonderful work.. and I guess my small tat makes me disturbed too...

But really it is the normal people that scare me... just means they are hiding it a bit too well
For a tattoo artist, I only have one wrist tattoo. So that makes me only a little disturbed. But at work I'm surrounded by a lot of REALLY disturbed people.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes

When I was a young woman, I had my husband's name tattooed on my left ankle (as proof that I was disturbed). While I was going through the divorce, I noticed one night when I was shaving my legs, that it was gone. Completely. There's no evidence of ink on my skin at all. Does that make me a disturbed liar, or was it removed supernaturally? I have often wondered. Tattoo Duck, can tattoos fade away like that or not?

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #23
Llama

CamelKarma: 295414

Lydia the Tattooed Lady: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8
DianaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

I don't know why I got a warning for stating my opinion, which is backed-up by science.

Something is not quite right.
Old 09-10-2014   #25
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Gal View Post
When I was a young woman, I had my husband's name tattooed on my left ankle (as proof that I was disturbed). While I was going through the divorce, I noticed one night when I was shaving my legs, that it was gone. Completely. There's no evidence of ink on my skin at all. Does that make me a disturbed liar, or was it removed supernaturally? I have often wondered. Tattoo Duck, can tattoos fade away like that or not?
Yes, if a tattoo was done with vegetable based inks and/or done very shallow, they tend to fade and/or become discharged from the skin by the body's immune system. I often see this with the hand poked tattoos kids do in high school with the needle and thread method. Depending on the "ability" of the tattooist, these can often fade very quickly.

There are also some medications that affect the body that will cause a tattoo to fade. Some heavy duty medication for acne, for example, can cause a tattoo to fade. Also any lymphatic medicines can affect a tattoo in dramatic ways.
Old 09-10-2014   #26
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
I don't know why I got a warning for stating my opinion, which is backed-up by science.

Something is not quite right.
It's not WHAT you stated, but HOW you stated it. Please keep it civil and we can have a civil discussion.

That said, I would like to see this scientific study as I can use a good chuckle. In my 20 years of tattooing I have not experienced anything that remotely comes close to the claim stated in your post, scientific or otherwise.
Old 09-10-2014   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

I came across that study some time ago. Wish I can quote it.

Regardless. Ask 10 people on the street what they think about tattoo people, and 9 out of 10 will say that they are "scary" people.

Agree or disagree?
Old 09-10-2014   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2Duck View Post
Yes, if a tattoo was done with vegetable based inks and/or done very shallow, they tend to fade and/or become discharged from the skin by the body's immune system. I often see this with the hand poked tattoos kids do in high school with the needle and thread method. Depending on the "ability" of the tattooist, these can often fade very quickly.

There are also some medications that affect the body that will cause a tattoo to fade. Some heavy duty medication for acne, for example, can cause a tattoo to fade. Also any lymphatic medicines can affect a tattoo in dramatic ways.
Thank you for this non-miraculous explanation.

To justify what you said, I had many chemotherapy drugs when I was treated for non-hodgkins lymphoma and then even more with the thrombosis that developed when my medi port malfunctioned. I lumped the vanishing tattoo among the many miracles I experienced during that time.

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #29
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Quote:
I came across that study some time ago. Wish I can quote it.

Regardless. Ask 10 people on the street what they think about tattoo people, and 9 out of 10 will say that they are "scary" people.

Agree or disagree?
I think most creepy people with tattoos would be creepy without them, and non-creeps without tattoos are still non-creeps.

I don't know that ink plays into impressions any more than clothing. A gal with a sleeve tattoo wearing a pastel sun dress and flip flops would make a very different impression than if she if were wearing studded stiletto heals and black latex. How much does the tattoo play into that difference?
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #30
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Nothing freaks me out more than body "art". And I have science to back me up.

Scientist found out that Tattoo people have mental issues. Normal people do not get tattoos. Only disturbed people get Tattoos.
Here is your original quote. Only disturbed people get tattoos? That's pretty insulting, and I speak as someone who has no intention of getting a tattoo. However, my son and daughter both have a fair number of tattoos. Although both say and do some things I don't like, I wouldn't say either is certifiably "disturbed," whatever that means. Furthermore, regardless of what the original article said, you have almost certainly grossly oversimplified its content. Attitudes toward tattoos can be expected to vary a lot depending on demographics, local customs, and fashions, not to mention the form, size, and content of the tattoos in question.

There is hardly a question on tattoos, especially on the personality makeup of people who (willingly) receive them or about attitudes toward them, that can be adequately answered with an unqualified yes or no. Even the answer to So Cal Gal's question about whether tattoos are always permanent required some qualification. Furthermore, psychological studies are among the most difficult to carry out. The "man on the street" interviews you (aam1234) suggested are not as simple as walking up to someone and asking. The wording of the question, the specific location of the interview, whether the interviewer has visible tattoos, and the interviewer's body language and tone of voice can all have an effect on the result, in many cases, big ones. Despite the age of How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff, 1954, the issues the book addresses are still current, including the problems with getting reliable and unbiased data on opinions. If you are actually considering such a study, you can get some useful information at the American Psychological Association (APA) web site.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: