Duck's day job - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Duck's day job

I'll be the first to defend AAM1234. Tattoos are not for everyone and yes, some heavily tattooed people can look rather scary. Of course there are all kinds of theories and studies that try to give reasons for why someone does this to their bodies. I know from experience there are just as many reasons as there are studies and no one will be able to condense an explanation into one single study. Often those reasons are very legitimate and would alter your perception of it if you only knew the truth.

The same goes for why someone would have a 'closed minded' view against body art. There are too many reasons and each has its own validity. To say otherwise is also close minded. In effect it boils down to opinions we develop over time based on personal, cultural and religious influences. Objectivity permeates every aspect of our lives, from what kind of TV shows we watch to the kind of food we eat to the kind of photos we find appealing.

We are all entitled to our opinions but we have to watch how we voice those opinions. You can say, "I don't like tattoos," or "tattooed people scare me." Those are opinions that clearly states your position on the subject. Nothing wrong with that. The same if you said, "I love body art." That also states your position on the subject. When you start making assumptions about a person and inferring your personal opinion on them then you are inviting a confrontation. Specially if the assumption is wrong.

We'll take AAM1234's statement, "tattooed people have mental issues." That may be your opinion but keep that to yourself. For one, it is false. I am tattooed. I am also a contributing member of society. I run my own business, take care of my family and overall enjoy life. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I definitely don't do drugs. I own several firearms but have never shot a person (or animal for that matter). I am very spiritual, I give lots of hugs and love to share knowledge. I teach photography through various venues, I tutor art students through a local high school program and I provide a service that is very rewarding and fulfilling to many of my customers. Some even call it therapeutic. I am well liked in my community, I present myself well and am well spoken.

If any of the above are indications of a deficiency in mental health then I proudly admit to my lack of mental aptitude. If that makes me disturbed, then I celebrate that. What I will not do is call someone names because their opinion differs from mine. I'll just try to educate them.

We all deal with people whose opinions and ideals are different than ours. We tolerate them because, in the end, we understand that their opinions really have no influence on who we are as a person. The flip side to that is that people form opinions about who we are as a person based on how we treat others as we handle any given situation. If you act like an intelligent human being you will be treated with respect. Act like a moron, well, expect to be treated as such. Just don't be surprised when you get called out for it.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

You hug people?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Very impressive work.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #14
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
You hug people?

I KNOW! I'M DISTURBED!!!
Old 09-05-2014   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Body art isn't for me, to the extent that I'm not going to get a tattoo. The work you've displayed here is very intricate and detailed. Nicely done. See, I don't have any appreciation for opera but I can respect the difficulty and skill required to perform it. Ink has nothing to do with being disturbed. I'm disturbed and ink had nothing to do with it.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1362106
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice work Duck… amazing shading in the last…
Tattoos are so pervasive today that I can’t help but think about the motivations… For example, in Japan there are business men with every square centimeter of their skin underneath their immaculate white shirt and black pants covered by ink. Nothing whatever that can be seen without disrobing. That is Japan…But since no one can see it I wonder why do it? Then there is that permanence aspect…. I enjoy a variety of images, but none that I would want to commit to carry around for the rest of my life. I guess folks with the skill are just as busy disguising the last as creating the next.

I appreciate your comments.... Always.
Medowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

FYI, tattooing goes back as far as 6,000 BC.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

I can only assume that this post was made in jest?

If not, I'd love to see aam1234 provide a link to scientific evidence that substantiates his premise that "only disturbed people get tattoos".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Nothing freaks me out more than body "art". And I have science to back me up.

Scientist found out that Tattoo people have mental issues. Normal people do not get tattoos. Only disturbed people get Tattoos.
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014   #19
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
Body art isn't for me, to the extent that I'm not going to get a tattoo. The work you've displayed here is very intricate and detailed. Nicely done. See, I don't have any appreciation for opera but I can respect the difficulty and skill required to perform it. Ink has nothing to do with being disturbed. I'm disturbed and ink had nothing to do with it.
Thanks Steven. Oh, and by the way, I think everyone is a bit disturbed in one way or another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medowlark View Post
Nice work Duck… amazing shading in the last…

Tattoos are so pervasive today that I can’t help but think about the motivations… For example, in Japan there are business men with every square centimeter of their skin underneath their immaculate white shirt and black pants covered by ink. Nothing whatever that can be seen without disrobing. That is Japan…But since no one can see it I wonder why do it? Then there is that permanence aspect…. I enjoy a variety of images, but none that I would want to commit to carry around for the rest of my life. I guess folks with the skill are just as busy disguising the last as creating the next.
Japan has one of the oldest continuous histories of modern body art in the world. Other areas that had practiced more traditional native art has had some kind of suppression from their captors, from governments or from early missionaries. Take Hawaii for example. Their tattoo culture that was so intertwined with their daily culture was eradicated to the point that new generation Hawaiians looking to resurrect their old traditions can't find too many existing examples in their history. Shame. They are now reduced to reinventing themselves and their art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiga View Post
FYI, tattooing goes back as far as 6,000 BC.

Martin
Historically tattoos have been used to adorn queens, mark slaves, record a warrior's history, as remedies for joint pain, marks of religious devotion and so much more. Tattoos predate the written word by millennia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
I can only assume that this post was made in jest?

If not, I'd love to see aam1234 provide a link to scientific evidence that substantiates his premise that "only disturbed people get tattoos".
Me too.
Old 09-10-2014   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959

wonderful work.. and I guess my small tat makes me disturbed too...

But really it is the normal people that scare me... just means they are hiding it a bit too well

ksgal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: