Does anybody use Twitter?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Does anybody use Twitter?

I've just been through my Twitter accounts (7 of them) and eliminated over 2 days about 4,000 spammers, dormant accounts and accounts that don't tweet in english from those I'm following.

In general I find Twitter does not afford meaningful conversation and does not attract anything in the way of conversation. It seems just to be people trying to sell things via 140 character messages.

I used to use it to add a live feed to my websites but nobody visited them either. I suspect that nobody reads my tweets - I must admit I don't read any unless I'm mentioned in them and 99% of those I'm mentioned in are people trying to get me to click a link. Block-Report Spam.

Does anybody have any success at all with Twitter or indeed websites? I mean - measurable success not just wild unproven claims that I hear such as "I get 90% of my business off the internet".

In general, I find the internet to be pretty worthless for most of the things it's allegedly good at. Take job websites for example - I can send off applications in droves and get no responses. I walk into somewhere and the HR person looks at my resume and they go "WOW". I just have to match up an HR person to a vacancy - lol

Old 07-23-2014   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Does anybody use Twitter?

I follow a couple of informative accounts, but they broadcast very rarely. I've tried following a few commercial twits (Think Tank Photo, RRS), but it was just clutter. I never tweet anything.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #3
Guanaco

I'm pretty much of the opinion that the internet is a load of bunk
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes

I use it to follow celebrities and post photos I took of them (music artists where I have photographed their shows). The newer acts or lesser know ones will favorite a photo of mine or say 'thanks'. Usually good for a couple follows.

I did post this one to Twitter and had it favorited and re-tweeted by Lionel Richie. That was exciting. Otherwise, I dont use it much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6040558.jpg (100.5 KB, 77 views)
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I don't get the hype neither, besides I really think those social media plattforms can do harm on the aesthetic cognition when it comes to photography..

nevertheless, here are some facts and you will see that Twitter is used more than you thought^^

• Twitter - Statistics & Facts | Statista
dylan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #6
Guanaco

Yeah - to follow starlets. Not really worth the bother
Old 08-07-2014   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
I'm pretty much of the opinion that the internet is a load of bunk
I have never understood the utility of Twitter, so have never bothered to open an account. However, the categorical statement that "the internet is a load of bunk" is oversimplified, to say the least, and your presence on this board leads me to think that you don't really believe your own statement.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Although there is a lot of crap on Twitter (in terms of Tweets and Twits), I have used it to find many interesting/useful articles, websites (especially obscure web 2.0 sites), blogs, free software, and movies (especially independent films), I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. I am more likely to stumble upon something good on Twitter, than on StumbleUpon.

It is mostly a matter of weeding out the beliebers, 1Ders, 'buy followers', MLMers, teabaggers, inspirational quote simpletons, religious-right pastorbaters, self proclaimed self made millionaires, and Arabs who think Twitter is some kind of game with an objective of getting the highest follower to following ratio.
ImageDromedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #9
Guanaco

Lol. I've some blog entries scheduled for the 11th and the 15th all about my experiences of twitter and all that bunk. (I like to write my posts in advance which gives me time to rethink and reschedule them).

I'm pretty much sure the whole internet is oversold for what it is - that probably comes out in my writing.

Regarding Twitter or rather Twoddle, I did employ one of the free follower adders a while back and amassed across 3 accounts about 14,000 followers. Trouble was they were all bots. Accounts that started out as human operated quickly became automated spam bots.

I checked to see on one when the last interaction with a human was... 18 months ago. The two that I monitor closely - very rarely do I get an interaction. I post and nobody responds. It's like screaming into the Grand Canyon.
Old 08-07-2014   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Dromedary, sounds like you have your own version of the Lord High Executioner's "Little List" of people who would not be missed. The Mikado, Gilbert and Sullivan.

Naked, although I don't have a Twitter account and am barely visible on Facebook and LinkedIn, and don't have a web page or blog, I nevertheless find the net to be quite useful. The web is now my main source of news, and it is a great place to find books and movies, both new and used, and computer and photo equipment. I also no longer have to run all over the place to track down a library book: because the "card catalogs" are now online data bases, I don't have to leave the house to find out if a particular library branch has a volume or not, most of the time. This goes for the nearby college and university libraries in the area as well as the municipal library. I haven't had to look at a hardcopy encyclopedia volume in years either, and if I did need a local copy of an encyclopedia, I could get one for a hundred dollars or so, rather than the hundreds or even thousands of dollars that a set of hardbacked encyclopedia volumes would cost, and I could hold the whole thing easily in one hand. In those respects, at least, the internet has lived up to its promise.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: