Does anybody use Twitter? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 315530
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Does anybody use Twitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Naked, although I don't have a Twitter account and am barely visible on Facebook and LinkedIn, and don't have a web page or blog, I nevertheless find the net to be quite useful.
I don't use Facebook either. Sure - I have a Facebook account but all it does is take the feed from one of my Twitter accounts which largely takes the feed from my blogs (and anything I say on Twitter). Anybody looking for me by my real name won't find me on Facebook. They'll find some twerp in the middle of Wolverhampton, UK that has an incredible tendency to say things online that I'm sure he'll regret in the future.

LinkedIn was utterly useless. In fact I found it more harmful than useless and after pursuing the quest for LinkedIn followers that didn't seem to be at all engaged, some nut decided to complain that my name wasn't my real name and that I was a faker. Oddly enough I used my real name for LinkedIn. Then they complained I was spamming (yet all I did was let LinkedIn feed off my blog - at one post a day). I just said "XYZ that" or words to that effect and told LinkedIn where they could stick their account.

Regarding the more harmful aspects - I found one moron who worked as the head of a local recruitment agency who said he checked everybody's resume against LinkedIn and if there was a difference between what they said they did on their resume and what they said on LinkedIn, he threw the resume away. Obviously he'd never heard of different resumes for different jobs. Same skills - differently presented and differently worded. I'm now happily LinkedIn free.
Quote:
The web is now my main source of news, and it is a great place to find books and movies, both new and used, and computer and photo equipment.
Sure - I download a lot of the free eBooks from the internet. I have a tendency to review them online for fun. I'll have to start reviewing some of my paper books - I have a whole bookshelf full of them and almost all photography/business/blogging related.
Quote:
I also no longer have to run all over the place to track down a library book: because the "card catalogs" are now online data bases, I don't have to leave the house to find out if a particular library branch has a volume or not, most of the time. This goes for the nearby college and university libraries in the area as well as the municipal library. I haven't had to look at a hardcopy encyclopedia volume in years either, and if I did need a local copy of an encyclopedia, I could get one for a hundred dollars or so, rather than the hundreds or even thousands of dollars that a set of hardbacked encyclopedia volumes would cost, and I could hold the whole thing easily in one hand. In those respects, at least, the internet has lived up to its promise.
Not really.... Wikipedia is a classic example. It's not accurate because anybody can edit it. If I wanted to go in and change Barrack Obama to being a performer at Cirque de Soleil then I could, quite easily. Wikipedia has no editorial control whatsoever. A book like for example, my favorite book "Electronic Flash Strobe" by Edgerton has been checked and edited by various people before publication. In contrast, "High Speed Photography and Photonics" by Ray is a print on demand book that has been clearly written by somebody that has tried to encompass all areas of the subject while understanding and having experience of only a few. His section on Shadowgraphs and Schlieren imaging is a classic example of an area he has no expertise, no interest and no understanding of.

So - no. The internet is not an Oracle nor a font of knowledge and it simply is not a cornucopia either. The best you can say is that the internet gives you helpful hints about questions to ask and things to investigate further from LEGITIMATE sources.
Naked Photogpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Photogpher View Post
Regarding the more harmful aspects - I found one moron who worked as the head of a local recruitment agency who said he checked everybody's resume against LinkedIn and if there was a difference between what they said they did on their resume and what they said on LinkedIn, he threw the resume away. Obviously he'd never heard of different resumes for different jobs. Same skills - differently presented and differently worded. I'm now happily LinkedIn free.
Don't get me started on effing recruitment agents, or else we might get into an argument over whether they are more stupid than evil, or more evil than stupid.

Quote:
Not really.... Wikipedia is a classic example. It's not accurate because anybody can edit it. If I wanted to go in and change Barrack Obama to being a performer at Cirque de Soleil then I could, quite easily. Wikipedia has no editorial control whatsoever.
Actually there are some constraints on who can edit what. Some pages are locked for editing. Wikipedia has become more restrictive in recent years. I would be surprised if the editing of Obama's page wasn't limited to a small set of trusted editors.
ImageDromedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
[snip!] I also no longer have to run all over the place to track down a library book: because the "card catalogs" are now online data bases, I don't have to leave the house to find out if a particular library branch has a volume or not, most of the time. This goes for the nearby college and university libraries in the area as well as the municipal library. I haven't had to look at a hardcopy encyclopedia volume in years either, and if I did need a local copy of an encyclopedia, I could get one for a hundred dollars or so, rather than the hundreds or even thousands of dollars that a set of hardbacked encyclopedia volumes would cost, and I could hold the whole thing easily in one hand. In those respects, at least, the internet has lived up to its promise.
Quote:
[snip!]

Not really.... Wikipedia is a classic example. It's not accurate because anybody can edit it. If I wanted to go in and change Barrack Obama to being a performer at Cirque de Soleil then I could, quite easily. Wikipedia has no editorial control whatsoever. A book like for example, my favorite book "Electronic Flash Strobe" by Edgerton has been checked and edited by various people before publication. In contrast, "High Speed Photography and Photonics" by Ray is a print on demand book that has been clearly written by somebody that has tried to encompass all areas of the subject while understanding and having experience of only a few. His section on Shadowgraphs and Schlieren imaging is a classic example of an area he has no expertise, no interest and no understanding of.

So - no. The internet is not an Oracle nor a font of knowledge and it simply is not a cornucopia either. The best you can say is that the internet gives you helpful hints about questions to ask and things to investigate further from LEGITIMATE sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageDromedary View Post
Actually there are some constraints on who can edit what. Some pages are locked for editing. Wikipedia has become more restrictive in recent years. I would be surprised if the editing of Obama's page wasn't limited to a small set of trusted editors.
Dromedary is right - there really are some people who keep watch on what goes into Wikipedia these days. Besides, the stuff I look up is not usually stuff that your average general-circulation newspaper or magazine would be interested in. I don't think very many people would be interested in looking up an article on metamerism or blackbody radiation, for example, let alone vandalizing it. For subjects of more general interest, I might read the article for a general background and use the links for more information.

As an example, I recently looked up monosodium glutamate, which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the twenty amino acids that are the constituents of proteins. Actually, because glutamic acid is diprotic, there are two possible locations for the sodium atom and I wanted to find out where the sodium atom actually went. I was also interested in the "Chinese restaurant" syndrome and just how prevalent this problem really was. I could rely on the strictly chemical part of the article, but I went to other sources as well for information on the syndrome because the prevalence of the syndrome is controversial. I am not affected by it myself, nor is anyone in my immediate circle of family and friends. I found Wikipedia's article to be more credible than the one on HowStuffWorks, by the way. When you are talking about health, diet, disease, and fitness, you must really keep your wits about you to avoid learning too much that ain't so.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Not really.... Wikipedia is a classic example. It's not accurate because anybody can edit it. If I wanted to go in and change Barrack Obama to being a performer at Cirque de Soleil then I could, quite easily. Wikipedia has no editorial control whatsoever.
Wikipedia has a lot of editorial controls in place these days. The Wikipedia page about Obama has a padlock icon on it, with text that says the article is semi-protected.

ImageDromedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #15
Guanaco

The whole point. The only people that should write and edit articles should be the people that are qualified to do so. Wikipedia allows any Dick or Harry to write articles and edit them. This is not a formula for academic success! This is largely why people in the academic world laugh at Wikipedia!
Old 08-09-2014   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Submissions to Wikipedia have to be sourced. If the sources on the page don't look trustworthy / reasonable, then do not use them. Too many folks seem to take everything on there as 100% reliable. I use it as a jumping off point.
Old 08-10-2014   #17
Guanaco

My point exacrly. Reminfs me of the cartoon of a boy holding up a sheet of paper with a huge red F on it, shouting angrilly: "whaddaya mean? I copied it EXACTLY as it said on the internet".

I have a feeling the internet has become the modeen drug or indeed a comfort blanket for many. Little hands sending out private and personal daily business via Twitter and Facebook.
Old 10-26-2014   #18
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No

I just started using Twitter yesterday, not sure what to think of it yet.

The point that I literally don't know anyone on there does not make the start easier. But I thought it would be a good way to post thoughts and stuff I would not post on the Kamerahelden site.

I tweet in German and English, so feel free to tweet me in English: @Kamerahelden
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 11678231
Editing OK?: Yes

I don't know if Tweets are still being archived, but The Library of Congress has an archive consisting of approx 170 billion Tweets as of Jan 2013.

I wrote one to Bruno Mars once. I hope it's in the Library of Congress as a notable Tweet.

Update on the Twitter Archive at the Library of Congress | Library of Congress Blog

So Cal Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: