Early retirement - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Early retirement

About two years later. Any update to your life/thinking?

For me, it's getting close (by choice) so I'm getting a little nervous. I don't have to retire, have a long way to go, if I choose to. But...why not?
Old 05-20-2016   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

I retired in January at age 61. Was going to retire in December but where I worked convinced me to stay into the first of the year. By staying two weeks I picked up $50.00 a month in my retirement check plus a 2% COLA and a few other benefits. Fifty a month isn't much except that is about what I spend on gas a month.

Sunday my middle son and his two daughters (4 & 6) drove to KC to watch the Royals Braves game. Wednesday night the 4 year old had her pre school graduation pot luck dinner. Grandpa had time to make scratch made cupcakes. The house is cleaner than ever before, and the wife complains that I am making her fat on the home made from scratch meals every night. I actually spend less at the grocery store and less overall yet we are eating better and healthier.

I stay active and engaged with people as I do not want to become a couch potato. My stress level is ridiculously low compared to my 34 years as an LEO. Financially we planed for this a long long time ago and still managed to raise three wonderful children. My wife is 56 and is going to work another 9 to 11 years at her choice. She is a senior VP at the institution where she works in charge of a successful division and loves what she does.

This coming Wednesday we are headed to San Diego for about a week staying in the Gaslamp District. She is the area Boy Scout council president and as such she is a voting member. The national Boy Scout meeting is next Thursday and Friday. Saturday, Sunday and Monday we are going to visit family that live in California, go to Sea World and just see some of the sites we missed last Labor Day when we were there for a week at a different convention.

In September we will spend a week in San Antonio as she has a work convention there for three days, We are going to spend 3 or 4 more days kicking around San Antonio. We travel more, relax more and enjoy life more.

Many of the people I worked with have asked me how I like retirement and my answer is always the same.
"I love retirement. I think that everyone should try it at least once in their life."

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #13
Camel Breath

Cheers, G99. Loved reading that. You have a very exciting and fulfilling life. Big kudos to you

You bring up a very important point. Something you have that I don't, which, imo, makes a big difference. You have your own family. I'm still single Yes, where I'm from we are heavily family-oriented people (our definition of Family is different than many societies. Much bigger, broader, and deeper). But still, it's not the same as one having his/her own family. In your case, when you retired you have your Focus/Target/Goal that you can concentrate on, your family. That makes the transition much easier and smoother.

Side notes:
- No way I will wait to 30 years of service to retire, let alone 34.
- We have the most generous retirement scheme in the world. Better than Sweden's (according to an expert in the field), especially for women. Case in point. My sister retired in her late 30s. Lucky her
- What is LEO?
Old 05-20-2016   #14
Camel Breath

Btw, what does "gryphonslair" means. Looked it up and couldn't find an answer (English is not my first language).
Old 05-20-2016   #15
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Cheers, G99. Loved reading that. You have a very exciting and fulfilling life. Big kudos to you

You bring up a very important point. Something you have that I don't, which, imo, makes a big difference. You have your own family. I'm still single Yes, where I'm from we are heavily family-oriented people (our definition of Family is different than many societies. Much bigger, broader, and deeper). But still, it's not the same as one having his/her own family. In your case, when you retired you have your Focus/Target/Goal that you can concentrate on, your family. That makes the transition much easier and smoother.

Side notes:
- No way I will wait to 30 years of service to retire, let alone 34.
- We have the most generous retirement scheme in the world. Better than Sweden's (according to an expert in the field), especially for women. Case in point. My sister retired in her late 30s. Lucky her
- What is LEO?
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 05-20-2016   #16
F1 Camel

Quote:
Btw, what does "gryphonslair" means. Looked it up and couldn't find an answer (English is not my first language).

Lair = The home of the Gryphon.

Long story short, for many many years I have been a member of a Historical Theatrical group. Live steel combat, jousting etc. The company has many credits to t's name. We were invited to China a few years ago where we traveled around for 3 months giving demonstrations of medieval combat, jousting etc. We have also been extras is several Hollywood movies and television shows, again for our stage combat skills, plus we come with our own armor, horses and costumes. We are the Jousting troupe for some of the biggest Renaissance Fairs in the US.

I have a complete suit of custom made combat grade 12 century armor. The only historical deviation was I had my armorer make it from stainless steel instead of carbon steel. No polishing and no rust.

I also have a pretty extensive collection of 10th through 14/15th century weapons of virtually every type that are actually fully combat ready as well as a complete set of stage steel. Stage steel is much heavier that true combat weapons allowing for blade to blade strikes without damaging the steel or breaking. Plus the ring of the steel carries a long way. I am well trained in the use of all of the weapons and for several years was the Master at Arms.

I was one of our trained prop people. I know it is hard to believe, but we really didn't stab or slit the throats of our members during shows. But I can make stage blood by the gallons and build about any gag we would ever need.

I have retired from active participation a while back as well. At 61 I no longer feel like falling off of horses on purpose. Even planned controlled falls can hurt. I have had my fair share of cuts and bruises as well as broken ribs from shows we have done. All the planning in the world can't keep you from unplanned bumps.

Everybody in this ends up with a name. My symbol was the Gryphon and my pavilion was called Gryphons Lair. I would usually set up an entire Knights encampment by our field and live it it. It was an added bonus to the fairs as I would display all my armor and weapons as well as give historical talks about the weapons and life of a knight.

All in all it just kind of made sense to use that as my name on the forum.

Old 05-26-2016   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

Quote:
About two years later. Any update to your life/thinking?

For me, it's getting close (by choice) so I'm getting a little nervous. I don't have to retire, have a long way to go, if I choose to. But...why not?
Yes - there has been an update. I would only have 20 years in and yet I would like to retire - but reality sets in. There is a huge difference in income to retire at 20 years vs 25. I have reluctantly decided to do the full 25.

Will be interested to hear what you decide to do.
Old 05-26-2016   #18
Camel Breath

Cheers, G99 and Sis.

Where I'm from, we have the most generous retirement plan on earth. Better than Sweden's. By a big margin.

But that's not the point. It's not about finances as far as I'm concerned. It's about one's future life, post retirement. Happiness and fulfillment come to mind.
Old 05-26-2016   #19
F1 Camel

For me it was a combination of both. Retired early to live life more, but the financial side was important. Between my retirement pension and the little over 1/3 of a million I was able to walk away with from long term investing where I worked, not only was I able to retire but retire nicely.

I say that as I am currently typing this from our Hotel room in the Gaslamp district of San Diego where the wife an I are currently staying a few days. She had a convention to come to and I came along. We are spending a few extra days just to kick around and visit family that live about 1 1/2 hours north of San Diego.

If you every come to San Diego and want to stay in a gorgeous 100 year old plus Hotel stay at the Horton Grand Hotel. We have just a standard balcony room but how many New chain hotels have working fireplaces in the room. Turn of the century fixtures and charm.

Old 05-27-2016   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371327

I have quite a fulfilling job, working as a school therapist. But for a while, there were numerous turnovers in administration that left things up in the air or changing quite often. Things seem to have settled down though, and and I am quite certain I can remain happy working there until I can retire with 25.

It's nice not to have to worry about money when considering retirement, I'm sure, but in my case, it is still a factor. But I do like my work, and it is just one of the many things I find fulfilling in my life. I don't have to retire to be happy. It seems that I will have to retire to find the time to do everything I want to do though

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: