Confronting DxO survey
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Llama

CamelKarma: 951145
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Confronting DxO survey

I got an invitation to a survey from DxO about their product DxO Viewpoint. I liked their line of questions, although it was very confronting for me. First they asked if I was familiar with Keystoning, Distortion, and Volume Anamorphis, which software I used before I bought ViewPoint to deal with this , what I used now (ViewPoint of course), if I wanted any improvements in the product, just normal survey questions.
But then... they showed a few pictures, and asked "What is the primary image problem in the picture above?". Choices: Keystoning, Distortion, and Volume Anamorphis. And at the end of the survey they showed me if I was right
I guess I got it wrong because I'm not a native English speaker, that's a good excuse

--= 500px =--
andrejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: Confronting DxO survey

I have also received this questionaire.
I bought viewpoint, but shiftN is free and better imho.
Old 03-06-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Technically, keystoning and volume anamorphosis are also forms of distortion, though keystoning and volume anamorphosis are more likely to be problems with wide-angle images, the wider the angle, the more problematic the distortion.

Keystoning is just a slightly more general name for the converging verticals you get when tilting the camera upwards when taking pictures of tall buildings and such. In keystoning, parallel lines on the object, such as the vertical walls of skyscrapers, are rendered as converging to a single point if the lines are extended. We see "converging horizontals" all the time but they are not normally considered to be objectionable. This variety of distortion gets its name from the way a projected image from an upward-tilted projector looks when projected on a vertical wall. The sides of the projected image, which are supposed to be vertical, diverge toward the top of the image. This gives the image the shape of a keystone, the stone at the top of a round arch without which the whole arch is much weakened and may even collapse.

Volume anamorphosis is the name that DxO gives to the radial stretching that occurs near the edges of a rectilinear image, especially a wide angled one. This gives roughly spherical objects such as people's heads a noticeable stretch in the direction of the image, rendering them egg-shaped, and fattening out human bodies near the edges of a horizontally-oriented wide angle image. Unlike the stretching that occurs in what DxO labels unmodified "distortion," volume anamorphosis does not bend straight lines in the object.

The geometrical distortion that DxO calls merely "distortion" is more commonly called barrel distortion or pincushion distortion because large rectangles in the object that include the image center that would normally be rendered as rectangles with an ideal rectilinear lens are rendered in the shape of barrels or pincushions instead. What should be straight lines parallel to the edges of the image instead bowed inward at the lines' ends toward the center of the image (barreling) or outward (pincushioning). Wide angle lenses, even nominally rectilinear ones, often have some barrel distortion unless the designer has made extra effort to correct this distortion. Fisheye lenses have severe barrel distortion.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Technically, keystoning and volume anamorphosis are also forms of distortion, though keystoning and volume anamorphosis are more likely to be problems with wide-angle images, the wider the angle, the more problematic the distortion.

Keystoning is just a slightly more general name for the converging verticals you get when tilting the camera upwards when taking pictures of tall buildings and such. In keystoning, parallel lines on the object, such as the vertical walls of skyscrapers, are rendered as converging to a single point if the lines are extended. We see "converging horizontals" all the time but they are not normally considered to be objectionable. This variety of distortion gets its name from the way a projected image from an upward-tilted projector looks when projected on a vertical wall. The sides of the projected image, which are supposed to be vertical, diverge toward the top of the image. This gives the image the shape of a keystone, the stone at the top of a round arch without which the whole arch is much weakened and may even collapse.

Volume anamorphosis is the name that DxO gives to the radial stretching that occurs near the edges of a rectilinear image, especially a wide angled one. This gives roughly spherical objects such as people's heads a noticeable stretch in the direction of the image, rendering them egg-shaped, and fattening out human bodies near the edges of a horizontally-oriented wide angle image. Unlike the stretching that occurs in what DxO labels unmodified "distortion," volume anamorphosis does not bend straight lines in the object.

The geometrical distortion that DxO calls merely "distortion" is more commonly called barrel distortion or pincushion distortion because large rectangles in the object that include the image center that would normally be rendered as rectangles with an ideal rectilinear lens are rendered in the shape of barrels or pincushions instead. What should be straight lines parallel to the edges of the image instead bowed inward at the lines' ends toward the center of the image (barreling) or outward (pincushioning). Wide angle lenses, even nominally rectilinear ones, often have some barrel distortion unless the designer has made extra effort to correct this distortion. Fisheye lenses have severe barrel distortion.
love it, should be in Science of Photography board .
Old 03-06-2013   #5
Llama

Yes, very good explanation. It helps to understand the names DxO is using. I bought it because it solves issues I see in pictures, now I can name them.

I think its funny that in a survey they first try to find out why I bought the product, if I'm satisfied, and then start to lecture me on my reasons to buy this product.
Old 03-06-2013   #6
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
I have also received this questionaire.
I bought viewpoint, but shiftN is free and better imho.
I bought it because it was much easier to get a good result than using Photoshop ( which is much mor eexpensive )

ShiftN unfortunately doesn't have an OS X version.
Old 03-06-2013   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
love it, should be in Science of Photography board .
I also thought this thread would be more at home in the Science of Photography board, especially after I finished the post that I was writing. It's sure too on topic to be at home on the off-topic board.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: