Summer travel plans. Help requested
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Summer travel plans. Help requested

I am looking to get away for a week this summer, but not sure where to go. I want to get away from it all, but I dont want to spend a small fortune to do so. Since its just me, I would even love to go camping somewhere. And when I say camping, I do not mean one of those camp sites that have a 1000 people and you feel like you are just in a big apartment complex of tents. (every 5 feet, its another group or RV and the music and/or kids are loud.

But I am not sure where to go. This would be some time in june through august. I have thought about the Canadian Rockies, but they push their winter stuff. Ive also thought about Yosemite. Goals are to photograph, relax and hike. Get some night sky photography as well as some wildlife. Be far enough away from people to where I dont have to interact, unless I want to. But at the same time, be a relatively short drive to a small town to get food and supplies. (and of course an area that doesnt have a strong wet season, that time of year).

Any suggestions or people's own experiences?

Old 02-05-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690
Default Re: Summer travel plans. Help requested

Yosemite is amazing. I'll be going back within the next several years.

Look up Curry Village at Yosemite. We stayed in one of the tent cabins and had a blast. the tent cabins are Inexpensive, and basically just a place to sleep as we were out everyday
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Thats pretty much what I am looking for and why camping is a big option for me. Friend here at work is suggesting Montana/Yellowstone and is getting me some information. He goes there every year.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4224516
Editing OK?: Ask First

If you need info on Yellowstone or Grand Teton Douglas, just let me know.
Greg Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 20612880
Editing OK?: Ask first

I'm in Jensen Beach for the next couple of months. If you would like to hear what the Canadian Rockies have to offer I'd be happy to have a coffee with you and set out some options. I assume that you are in Port St. Lucie.)The winter in the Rockies is great if you are a skier - summer is where it's at.

Don
Donspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2381140

My wife and I are looking at a possible trip to Yellowstone/Gran Tetons area for late August. Camping is definitely out for us.

As a man thinks, so he is
My Flickr
BobC164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Went to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons last summer.
It was awesome!!!!!!

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683

Summer crowds in Yosemite are horrible. One giant parking lot. During the '80s, I used to go camping there with some friends on the last weekend it was open at the end of the summer, late Oct. I believe. Nights were cold, about 20 deg f, but the place was empty of people, and beautiful.

ETA: It occurs to me that my experience may have been limited to weekends; summer crowds might be tolerable Mon.-Thur.
Mike67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683

Don't know if it's the same, but in the '70s camped for a week on the beach at St. George Island, FL. Empty beach for at least a mile in either direction.
Mike67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 3654690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike67 View Post
Summer crowds in Yosemite are horrible. One giant parking lot. During the '80s, I used to go camping there with some friends on the last weekend it was open at the end of the summer, late Oct. I believe. Nights were cold, about 20 deg f, but the place was empty of people, and beautiful.

ETA: It occurs to me that my experience may have been limited to weekends; summer crowds might be tolerable Mon.-Thur.
We were there for a week, and did not find it particularly crowded. That was in 2011

Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
This is the Internet and sometimes you just have to put your big boy pants on.
Never argue with an idiot! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience..

Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/90957342@N08/
Erich1B is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: