My Surly Long Haul Trucker is gone
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17045
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My Surly Long Haul Trucker is gone

Lately I have been on a project to upgrade my bicycle gear. I have been riding a Surly Long Haul Trucker for the last 3 years and its a solid bike for transportation or the long tour. I am in the process of building up a Lighthouse Sequoia (see Lighthousecycles.com) and am waiting for a component (amazon) to finish putting it all together. However a couple minutes ago I went out to the garage as I am pondering the handlebar height to seat height and so I thought I would measure my LHT to see how that is set up. I want a lower handlebar height with my new bike so I turned around to measure it and it was gone. Poof, just like that. The good news is my youngest son would have snagged it in the middle of the night as I gave it to him. However when I saw it was gone I felt like shedding a tear as I miss it. We have been on so many adventures together.

It will be this weekend before I have my Lighthouse fully assembled and ready to ride. I need some stem spacers right now before I can assemble the front fork and start the cableing process.

nolanr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #2
Dromedary

Default Re: My Surly Long Haul Trucker is gone

The bike is built. I just now finished the assembly and after work tomorrow I am on my maiden voyage. It's been a project and a lot of money.
Old 02-09-2013   #3
Dromedary

Talking to myself I suppose but the bike is awesome. The bike is the most beautiful lugged frame I have ever seen. The ride, performance and handling of the bike is superb. Anyway enough said since there are no cyclist at photocamel.
Old 02-09-2013   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 136021

That looks strong enough to support an elephant! How heavy is the bike?
Nope, not a long hall cyclist. Just a short haul one on some of the old "rail trails" here in the Middle of the Mitten. Because of permanent vertigo, my sweet spouse rides an "EZ three trike." Me, I ride a bike that came out of a dumpster at a property I used to manage. It was brand new and someone threw it away. (Nope, not stolen, I checked.) Ain't pretty, but it rides well.
Assorted old film gear.
And my trusty 45 year old Weston light meter.
Critiques and comments always welcome.
oldugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldugly View Post
That looks strong enough to support an elephant! How heavy is the bike?
Nope, not a long hall cyclist. Just a short haul one on some of the old "rail trails" here in the Middle of the Mitten. Because of permanent vertigo, my sweet spouse rides an "EZ three trike." Me, I ride a bike that came out of a dumpster at a property I used to manage. It was brand new and someone threw it away. (Nope, not stolen, I checked.) Ain't pretty, but it rides well.
Well enjoy your bikes. It's fun to ride regardless of the level you wish to pursue it. I do not know how much my bike weighs but I am guessing about 20 lbs. I have only had the bike up and running since Wednesday and will weigh it sometime when I am at a bike store.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: