Targeted Advertising
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Targeted Advertising

Ever look for something on Amazon then find ads for that item on your Photo Camel pages? Do a Google search and the same thing happens. Here's a new one. What ever I discuss on Photo Camel now shows up in ads on Facebook. Good Lord, I'll have to stay away from Kiss My Camel. No telling what kind of ads would show up on FB from participating in a few of those discussions.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Default Re: Targeted Advertising

Every time you go to a website or search for something, its stored as a cookie. Then most every site can read these cookies and give you an ad based on what you were searching for. Luckily, even KMC just gives photo ads
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #3
Camel Breath

It's not the searching cookies that surprises me. It's the context of threads in the Camel that caught my by surprise. There was a discussion about business cards and a supplier was named. Someone repeated the supplier in a response. Next thing, the banner ad on the Camel is for that supplier. I didn't search. I am logged into Facebook on another tab. When I went to Facebook, an ad for the same business card printer was there.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 01-27-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

that happened to me one time as well. I forget why I posted it, but I mentioned something about Elvis. Sure enough, I had ads for Elvis. They are just getting sneakier
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #5
Camel Breath

I totally understand Google words doing passive searches on words and ads coming up within a single web site visit. Ads on Camel from things said on Camel. But ads on FB from things typed on Camel. That's some big brother stuff. I don't have anything to hide on my computer. I really don't want to have a topic specific discussion on KMC then have ads for related products crop up on my Facebook when my browsing of that site is often in mixed company. It would be like telling a joke in the locker room of country club and having the replayed in the middle of that dinner with the in-laws.

And if Amazon can remember I looked for a replacement charger for my laptop last year, can't it also remember I bought one and I'm not really in the market for another one? Ads and emails both.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: