W
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 221720
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default W

Is it my computer or is something wrong with the lower case w on this site?

Old 01-18-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Default Re: W

might need to be just a bit more specific to the problem.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 301

How long have you had your computer? Is the keyboard ever been changed? You may have worn out pads on the keyboard. My laptop is going to have to have the keyboard changed, my "a" "s" keys sometimes do not print, even if I press hard on them. On a desktop, you just get a new keyboard, and plug it in, on a laptop things get complicated. Also, you may want to try a "acid brush" and dust between the keys, but be careful.

Bill
Surfwooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013   #4
Bactrian

My computer is relatively new. It is not my keyboard. This only happens on this website and it only relates to the w I see typed in here. The w (\/\/) the two middle characters are almost like they are grayed out. I can see them, but they are definitely lighter than the two outer parts. I just checked, it's not the capital W, only the lower case w. It's nothing earth shattering, just strange.
Kim
I did a little more investigating. I have an add on to Firefox called NoSquint, it allows you to magnify or reduce text on a page to make it more easily read by old eyes. And the middle of the w graying out only happens at 120%, so it must be something to do with the add on and not the site. But it is funny that it only happens on this site. Oh well.
hillsidekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sounds like a combination of the site's font and NoSquint's anti-aliasing and magnification setting. In Firefox, you can set the "zoom text only" option under the menu View -> Zoom, then use the ctrl-+ and ctrl-- options to increase or decrease the size of your text or ctrl-0 (control-zero) to restore the text size to the default. I suppose other browsers have a similar feature. You can then disable NoSquint and still have suitably magnified text.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #6
Bactrian

I didn't know that about view zoom or ctrl+ or ctrl-. Thanks much.
Kim

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: