Mental Illness Control (Gun Related)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 131499
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Mental Illness Control (Gun Related)

Another discussion:

Do you believe that American adults suffering from mental illness should be legally allowed to possess firearms?

If no, then how should they (mentally Ill) be prevented from legally acquiring firearms, without putting an undue burden upon the mentally sane population?

Old 12-15-2012   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Mental Illness Control (Gun Related)

What are your thoughts?

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
What are your thoughts?
I am apposed to mentally ill people having firearms. That of course was the easy part. According to the National Institute of Mental Health as many as 46% of Americans will have a mental health issue during their lifetime.

NIMH Statistics Any Disorder in Adults Among Adults

These mental health issues will be take many forms, but the main take away from their work is that mental health issues are fairly common. Coming up with a workable solution is the challenge and the person that can get the majority of the 535 elected officials in DC to agree should receive some kind of honor.

In my opinion, society needs to discuss and decide if the cost of identifying people with a Mental Issue severe enough to disqualify them from legal gun ownership is worthwhile. If worthwhile, then develop adequate procedures. If not, then we (society) need to realize and accept that events, such as school shootings, are going to happen and relegate the associated story to 4 column inches in Section C of the local newspaper.

It just does not make any sense to me for the nation to be outraged by these type of events and then do nothing to address the root cause, permitting insane people to acquire deadly weapons.
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyC View Post
I am apposed to mentally ill people having firearms. That of course was the easy part. According to the National Institute of Mental Health as many as 46% of Americans will have a mental health issue during their lifetime.

NIMH Statistics Any Disorder in Adults Among Adults

These mental health issues will be take many forms, but the main take away from their work is that mental health issues are fairly common. Coming up with a workable solution is the challenge and the person that can get the majority of the 535 elected officials in DC to agree should receive some kind of honor.

In my opinion, society needs to discuss and decide if the cost of identifying people with a Mental Issue severe enough to disqualify them from legal gun ownership is worthwhile. If worthwhile, then develop adequate procedures. If not, then we (society) need to realize and accept that events, such as school shootings, are going to happen and relegate the associated story to 4 column inches in Section C of the local newspaper.

It just does not make any sense to me for the nation to be outraged by these type of events and then do nothing to address the root cause, permitting insane people to acquire deadly weapons.
The weapons did not belong to the shooter, but were (as I understand) legally owned by his mother. I don't think insane people owning deadly weapons is the root cause.
Old 12-15-2012   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

The mentally ill accessing firearms cannot be solved by preventing the insane from purchasing. An example, the CT incident the shooter did not purchase the weapons.

The prohibition of selling firearms to fruitcakes has a warm fuzzy component but it continues a trend in this country of abandoning personal responsibility and assigning vicarious liability. I don't know how a reasonable determination can be made that a person is sane enough to purchase a weapon. But I think that's moot because buying a firearm is not the only way to access one.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
The mentally ill accessing firearms cannot be solved by preventing the insane from purchasing.

Would it not be a step in the right direction?

BTW, not doing something because there is not a perfect solution is politics for being afraid of losing one's job by doing one's job.
RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #7
Camel Breath

Roy, I'm sure you've given some thought to your response. Enlighten me on how this step in the right direction would have impacted the CT incident or the Columbine one.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 12-15-2012   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

I thought it was already illegal for people with mental illness to purchase firearms. It's a question on the background check, as I recall. For that matter, it is ALSO illegal for a person under the age of 21 to purchase or own a handgun. As already pointed out, it wouldn't have made a difference in this case because the weapons did not belong to the shooter.
Old 12-15-2012   #9
Camel Breath

Hey if a law will keep guns off the streets why don't we have laws against heroine, methamphetamine and cocaine?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 12-15-2012   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven G Webb View Post
Roy, I'm sure you've given some thought to your response. Enlighten me on how this step in the right direction would have impacted the CT incident or the Columbine one.
If steps are taken to identify the mentally ill that may be prone to harming themselves or others and placing them in an appropriate controlled environment, neither event would have taken place. Have the discussion, is it the guns or the people. If it is the people do something about the people. We know it is not the guns.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: