Mental Illness Control (Gun Related) - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Mental Illness Control (Gun Related)

People in general are very hard to predict whether sane or insane. There are people who make sane and appropriate decisions up until the last second before they take their own or someone elses lives all the time.
Remember the movie "Minority Report".
Guns are deifinitely not the problem, people are.
We've all seen how the government runs and I definitely don't want them trying to decide if I'm sane or not!
Darrhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #22
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes

I don't think this is an easy question
I have 2 handguns.
I view it as my responsibility to keep those guns out of the hands of anyone else, mentally ill, or not.
Not sure how that is or should be legislated, but in this particular case if the mom wasn't killed shouldn't she be held responsible for letting her son get his hands on the guns.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

If that's the case, I guess I shouldn't let my kids use my steak knives, butcher knives, scissors, draino, their baseball bats that I bought them, screwdrivers, hammers, that car I bought them or ... Just about anything can be used as a killing weapon.
Pay attention to your relatives, friends and loved ones and support them as much as possible. It starts at home.
Darrhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Not a lot of hammer and drano killing sprees.
But I agree about taking care of your home and family

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

The real issue here is there are too many guns in America and it has not made it a safer place. In fact the contrary is the case. Readily available statistics show there are about 15 times the number of gun related deaths every year in the USA than in most of the other progressive western countries. With less than 5% of the world's population, the USA is home to roughly 35–50 per cent of the world's civilian-owned guns. Does that mean there are 15 times the number of mentally ill people in the USA - not too likely. Am I more likely to be shot by a gun in the USA? - most definitely.
Old 12-17-2012   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 910905
Editing OK?: Ask first

Although 'safety' is one of the topics which comes up, I'm not so sure that is as relevant as the idea of 'control.' That is, owning a gun is more about having a sense of control and power than it is about having a sense of safety. It's very likely that by not having any gun whatsoever, one could be just as safe as if they did have one; but, they would feel as though they had less control and power than if they did have a gun. So,maybe there is something to the psychoanalytic view, that those who have assault weapons are over compensating for a very low sense of personal control and power in their lives. It's ironic that in such cases, the more guns, the more sense of control and power and, at the same time, the less safety.

website portals:
www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

kenwae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
The real issue here is there are too many guns in America and it has not made it a safer place. In fact the contrary is the case. Readily available statistics show there are about 15 times the number of gun related deaths every year in the USA than in most of the other progressive western countries. With less than 5% of the world's population, the USA is home to roughly 3550 per cent of the world's civilian-owned guns. Does that mean there are 15 times the number of mentally ill people in the USA - not too likely. Am I more likely to be shot by a gun in the USA? - most definitely.
Not convinced by your statistics; you're comparing apples and oranges, so to speak. First, the United States has a lot more people than pretty much any other "progressive" country - however you define that - that you could name. There are also more guns, so it should come as no surprise that there would be more gun deaths. However, that is an entirely different kettle of fish than saying that the United States is less safe overall because of it.

At one time, the police in Britain did not routinely carry firearms under the theory that the criminals would also be less likely to carry them. They have since discarded that policy.

To get back on topic:

Let's face it: the guns in this country aren't going away any time soon. As far as the law goes, it is already illegal for convicted felons, among others, to own firearms. Part of the problem here is to identify, without undue invasion of privacy and with a reasonable assurance of making the correct decisions, which people are at increased risk of abusing the right to own (and use) firearms. Just defining the terms I have used is in itself a big task. I can well understand Mira's and Rain Lily's wariness of the slippery slope and share their concern.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Not convinced by your statistics; you're comparing apples and oranges, so to speak. First, the United States has a lot more people than pretty much any other "progressive" country - however you define that - that you could name. There are also more guns, so it should come as no surprise that there would be more gun deaths. However, that is an entirely different kettle of fish than saying that the United States is less safe overall because of it.

At one time, the police in Britain did not routinely carry firearms under the theory that the criminals would also be less likely to carry them. They have since discarded that policy.

To get back on topic:

Let's face it: the guns in this country aren't going away any time soon. As far as the law goes, it is already illegal for convicted felons, among others, to own firearms. Part of the problem here is to identify, without undue invasion of privacy and with a reasonable assurance of making the correct decisions, which people are at increased risk of abusing the right to own (and use) firearms. Just defining the terms I have used is in itself a big task. I can well understand Mira's and Rain Lily's wariness of the slippery slope and share their concern.
You indicate you are not convinced by my statistics yet fail to provide any numbers to support your point. The fact the USA has a higher population than all the other countries I am referring to has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the USA has higher per capita gun deaths than Finland, Switzerland, France, Austria Canada, Norway, Scotland, Japan, Sweden, Germany, England etc. For intentional gun related deaths, the USA leads those countries by a significant Margin. Now why do you think that is so? All the listed countries have tighter gun legislation than the USA. When there are more guns in homes they are more likely to be used in suicides, domestic homicides, personal injuries / death. Another irony is that where there are more guns there is also more opposition to gun control.

Source:

http://guncontrol.ca/wp-content/uplo...deaths2012.pdf

To get back on topic, unless something is done to reduce the number of guns in the hands of American private citizens, the horrible, senseless tragedy that occurred in Connecticut last Friday, will, sadly, be repeated.

BTW the UK population in 2011 was just over 56 Million. They had 58 murders by firearms in 2010.

The USA population is approx. 300 million - and had over 11,000 gun related deaths during the same period.

If you do the math, compared to the UK, the USA has about 6 times the population yet has about 189 times the number of deaths from firearms. In fact, Europe has over 500 million population yet the number of firearms deaths is only one seventh that of the USA with a population of just over 300 Million.
Old 12-17-2012   #29
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

Nicely said wolfd
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #30
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

You will never be able control guns, death come's in many form weather it be a single death or many at once :

OK you get the guns out of the hands of people , what means are now left to commit mayhem and murder with.

Oklahoma case in point so where does this take us, back to square one.
, Until you can control the human being, you will not win this fight at all: The human is the Killer not the weapon of choice.

Whats to stop someone from ramming a car into a bus full of people, or derail a train just for Kicks, Its the human needs to learn to control themselves and not anybody else :

Lauren

Last edited by Seawolf66; 12-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: wording
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: