Who likes Mitt Romney here? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

View Poll Results: Who likes Mitt Romney here?
I like him 91 47.64%
I like the other guy 80 41.88%
Other (explain) 20 10.47%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11300
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Mitt Romney here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Worthington View Post
To me he seems like the ultimate "I'll say anything to win" kind of guy, but I wonder what you think...
I agree with that.

Sad thing is I didn't vote for Obama, but I do think he at least tried to do what he promised, he just got blocked at every turn. The fact is what ever party is in office the other party will never agree with him.

I really don't care for anyone this time around. but Mit's ads are so misleading that I'm really surprised they are allowed on the air. Just based on the bad game being played their tells me I REALLY don't like that guy.

Maybe I'll vote for Ross Perot?
So I pick other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora
In Australia it is compulsory from the age of 18 to enrol and to vote at local, state and federal elections.
Really? It's required? Wow, I never knew that...
nemopaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 418649
Editing OK?: Ask First

It seems obvious...
Vote for me!
I'll always tell you the truth. I will always do my best. I don't have an agenda. Just need to eat and have a place to stay.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #13
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1774014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemopaice View Post
I agree with that.

Really? It's required? Wow, I never knew that...
Yes, voting is compulsory in Australia. The thought is that with democratic rights come democratic responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is the requirement to participate in the election of the government.

It's a lot harder to stop people from voting then. You do get whats called the donkey vote where the slip is marked in order down. So, it can be an advantage to be at the top of the slip.

But, in Australia we see a lot of american politics and the ads that are shown. They are disgraceful. If all they can do is knock the other guy down while not saying what the candidate will actually try and do it makes me shake my head in wonder. Are people over in America that easily swayed by the negativity of the ads?

Our political conservative leader over her is Tony Abbott. A say anything to get me elected type of guy with strong religious beliefs.

A nutjob who only covets power................

Onslow
Onslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5383739

Quote:
.... Really? It's required? Wow, I never knew that...
There is a stiff fine for failing to vote in Oz. All Australians at age 18 are by law required to register on the electoral roll which is linked to our Social Security system and is for life. Whenever there's an election we go to a polling booth where we show our ID and our attendance is recorded. We are then given a ballot paper to fill out in a private stall. At that point our obligation to vote is fulfilled, even if we simply drop a blank ballot paper into the box. This requirement ensures that the result of an election represents the true voice of the people and not just a sector of it.

I was indeed surprised when I learnt years ago that for Americans voting is not compulsory and is held on a Tuesday as I understand. As I see it the problem with that is that working class people due to work commitments may not be able to vote thus putting them at a political disadvantage to the typically more independent GOP voters.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11300
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Yes, voting is compulsory in Australia. The thought is that with democratic rights come democratic responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is the requirement to participate in the election of the government.
I kind of wish they would start that here. I agree with the concept. Maybe people would be more aware of wth is actually going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora
I was indeed surprised when I learnt years ago that for Americans voting is not compulsory and is held on a Tuesday as I understand. As I see it the problem with that is that working class people due to work commitments may not be able to vote thus putting them at a political disadvantage to the typically more independent GOP voters
The history of this country is sort of funny (depressing) They absolutely try to keep people divided here. A small piece of American history many Americans just are not aware of... Back in the 1800's the country was less divided. Many may be suprised to learn that there were black congressmen and a few towns even had black sheriffs. This was during the reconstruction period. ( I guarantee few people nowadays are aware of that)

But just when the everyone started getting along. politicians started even more dirty games then they originally had. The republican party didn't want a certain someone to get elected (Really can't remember the names off the top of my head). So since they had a certain amount of control passing laws, they made a law that stated in order to vote you had to pay for the right a year in advance and if that wasn't enough you had to pass a test to see if you were smart enough to vote. What this did was ultimately not only divide the voice of the rich from the poor working class, but it also divided blacks and whites. Because despite that blacks were getting more and more freedoms, they were still struggling more than the white man and had an even harder time getting to the polls and when they (poor, white or black) did manage to scrape up the money a year ago to vote, they still had to pass the test, which represented a guy standing at the polls asking the rich easy questions and asking the poor (or people that they knew wouldn't vote the "right" way) nearly impossible to answer questions, like "recite paragraph 2 line 7 of the constitution".

This all took place in the mid to late 1800's, But wait the 24th amendment (1864) said you can't make people pay to vote... Which is correct, but we can tax them (Poll Tax) The poll tax wasn't lifted until 1971. But we are still divided today and it all started with the poll tax in the late 1800's. If it wasn't for that one event, the country might be very different today.

So long story short... Yea, there is a definite political disadvantage. But just to be sure... If we don't like the way the polls turn out, then the electoral college decides who gets elected instead. (only happened 2 or 3 times though)

And I have met people , with good jobs and apparent smarts, that didn't even know the name of the vice president. A few people couldn't give me the name of any vice president in history. That's saying something.
nemopaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
This all took place in the mid to late 1800's, But wait the 24th amendment (1864) said you can't make people pay to vote... Which is correct, but we can tax them (Poll Tax) The poll tax wasn't lifted until 1971. But we are still divided today and it all started with the poll tax in the late 1800's. If it wasn't for that one event, the country might be very different today.
The Twenty-Fourth Amendment abolishing the poll tax was ratified January 23, 1964, not in 1971. And political campaigning has always been negative and even dirty. As an example, Abraham Lincoln's campaign staffers printed and distributed fake tickets to the convention so that the real delegates couldn't get in to nominate his opponent. The campaigning for (and against) Thomas Jefferson was also pretty contentious, if I remember my history correctly. That took place well before the mid-1800s.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5383739

I am surprised to learn that back in the 1800's America had black congressmen and sheriffs, but then my scant knowledge of American history was gained from such colorful tutorials as Gone with the Wind and Gunfight at the OK Coral.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1774014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I am surprised to learn that back in the 1800's America had black congressmen and sheriffs, but then my scant knowledge of American history was gained from such colorful tutorials as Gone with the Wind and Gunfight at the OK Coral.
Not forgetting Blazing Saddles.......

Onslow
Onslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
When I was in college, one of my classmates from Asia had "learned" much of his American history and culture from the TV series The Untouchables which apparently was shown locally in his country of origin.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #20
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 76294
Editing OK?: No

I don't like what Obama has done adding so much debt to the US. The fact that Obamacare and Romneycare are six of one half a dozen of the other bothers me.

Then again, I'm a registered Libertarian but if I vote for the GOP it'll be because of Paul Ryan, not Mitt. So it's Gary Johnson or Mitt Romney that I'm trying to decide between.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: