Lance Armstrong
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lance Armstrong

Any bigger hypocrite or fall from grace?
This guy has inspired a lot of people, and he loved to pretend he did it all on his own.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2005/08/0...ng-and-god.htm

Or is it a witch hunt and a persecution of an innocent man?

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-event...august-23-2012

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Default Re: Lance Armstrong

I happen to side with Lance on the god thing.

I would think blood and urine tests would show spikes in blood count or abnormal testosterone levels. If the evidence from testing does not support the anecdotal evidence from competitors ...
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 26034
Editing OK?: Ask First

I look at it as, they've been after him for 13 years, he's apparently passed more than 500 drug tests... if they had anything, they'd have already punished him.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #4
Camel Breath

They report they have retesting of blood tests that are positive for EPO now with more sophisticated testing. Back, even in the 80's, you the drug testing wasn't as good as now and there were agents such as HGH that weren't even tested for.
I don't know if he's guilty or not, but they also say they have 10 team members, admitted to cheating, that he did the same.
I know I'd never give up the fight if I was innocent.

Old 08-24-2012   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Even if innocent, there can be a point at which a person no longer has the will to fight on. Although the time scale for most forced confessions is shorter then the years that Armstrong has had to endure and the intensity of the coercion was greater, you cannot reasonably presume that Armstrong's refusal to continue to fight the accusations means he is guilty as charged.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohobo View Post
I look at it as, they've been after him for 13 years, he's apparently passed more than 500 drug tests... if they had anything, they'd have already punished him.
You mean like Clemens, Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro (who incidentally swore to congress that he never did PED's and then failed a test after)....
Like I said, I don't know if he's guilty or not, but I'm wondering why most people think he's not?
I agree sometimes people have a point where they give up, but I imagine if it were me, and I had 7 Tour de France titles and that was my raison d'etre, I'd fight to the grave.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's guilty, but of course I don't know. If you read his statement, it's more like "I was never caught" than "I never did it".

Why do most people think Barry Bonds is guilty, but most people think Lance Armstrong isn't?
Weird in my mind.

Old 08-24-2012   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 26034

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
You mean like Clemens, Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro (who incidentally swore to congress that he never did PED's and then failed a test after)....
Like I said, I don't know if he's guilty or not, but I'm wondering why most people think he's not?
I agree sometimes people have a point where they give up, but I imagine if it were me, and I had 7 Tour de France titles and that was my raison d'etre, I'd fight to the grave.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's guilty, but of course I don't know. If you read his statement, it's more like "I was never caught" than "I never did it".

Why do most people think Barry Bonds is guilty, but most people think Lance Armstrong isn't?
Weird in my mind.

Innocent until proven guilty (Funny how that seems to now longer be the case)... they haven't proven him guilty, therefore in my mind he's innocent.

All they have right now are accusations... if they have more, then show it... prove to the world he's guilty, then I'll change my stance.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
They report they have retesting of blood tests that are positive for EPO now with more sophisticated testing. Back, even in the 80's, you the drug testing wasn't as good as now and there were agents such as HGH that weren't even tested for.
I don't know if he's guilty or not, but they also say they have 10 team members, admitted to cheating, that he did the same.
I know I'd never give up the fight if I was innocent.
Sometimes you choose the lesser of 2 evils. You know that people are going to want to persecute you for the rest of your life, even though you know you didnt do what was claimed. You can A) Continue to deny it and be drug through courts of both legal and public opinion over and over and over again. Or you can B) Say screw it, be crucified in the court of public opinion for the next few weeks and then no body care. But, the hounding has stopped.

Is it worth fighting this battle for the rest of his life? If hes guilty, its justified. If hes innocent, then he and his family knows its legit and no trophy or medal can wipe away those accomplishments. As it stands right now, his team mates all doped up and still couldnt beat him and were caught. How is it that his tests always came back negative?
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #9
Camel Breath

I would think if he were innocent, there would be one heck of a push to file defamation of character or slander or whatever it would be charges against these associations....no?
I mean, stripped him of all 7 titles and banned for life, and ....he's just not gonna fight it?

Hmmmmmm............that's a hard one to believe, and would constitute one heck of a witch hunt....hard to imagine?
WHy would USADA be on a crusade against him and want Lance Armstrong stripped of his titles? WHy?

USADA explains decision to strip Lance Armstrong of his titles - latimes.com

Seems like they had a lot of witnesses and data. Read the story.....

“The question that lingers is, how much was I a factor in my own survival, and how much was science, and how much miracle?
I don't have the answer to that question. Other people look to me for the answer, I know. But if I could answer it, we would have the cure for cancer, and what's more, we would fathom the true meaning of our existences. I can deliver motivation, inspiration, hope, courage, and counsel, but I can't answer the unknowable. Personally, I don't need to try. I 'm content with simply being alive to enjoy the mystery.
Good Joke:
A man is caught in a flood, and as the water rises he climbs to the roof of his house and waits to be rescued. A guy in a motorboat comes by, and he says, "Hop in, I'll save you."
"No thanks," the man on the rooftop says. "My Lord will save me."
But the floodwaters keep rising. A few minutes later, a rescue plane flies overhead and the pilot drops a line.
"No, thanks," the man on the rooftop says. "My Lord will save me."
But the floodwaters rise ever higher, and finally, they overflow the roof and the man drowns.
When he gets to heaven, he confronts God.
"My Lord, why didn't you save me?" he implores.
"You idiot," God says. "I sent a boat, I sent you a plane."
I think in a way we are all just like the guy on the rooftop. Things take place, there is a confluence of events and circumstances, and we can't always know their purpose, or even if there is one. But we can take responsibility for ourselves and be brave.”
Lance Armstrong

Old 08-24-2012   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 6018

Having fought cancer, maybe he thinks that there are better ways to spend his energies than fighting people who have been out to get him for years - life's too short.

Jim
jim_j is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: