NFL 2012/2013 season
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default NFL 2012/2013 season

It's late July and NFL fans know what that means...yup, training camp! It also means the regular season is just around the corner

As such, please tell us about your team. The expectations, additions/subtractions, your rookie class, and any major changes such as a new head coach or a new QB.

As customary around here we will crown the Redskins as the off-season champions. Right, JD?

Best of luck to all teams (well, maybe not the Cowboys ).

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: NFL 2012/2013 season

Here is a list of training camp dates & locations for all 32 teams Link
Old 07-24-2012   #3
Camel Breath

My wish for the upcoming season, other than the 49ers winning the Superbowl, is for Sanchez vs. Tebow talk to die down.

Please let it die! It's painfully boring. Root canal painful (and boring).
Old 07-24-2012   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

So, about Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow...
Old 07-24-2012   #5
Vicuna

Location: Throw a dart at a World Map. Wherever it lands you might be close.
CamelKarma: 14631

Um, go Packers! That's about all I can tell you. I don't really follow the NFL. I am more into college ball, but maybe if I stick around here I will learn something.
Tea8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #6
Camel Breath

What can I say, you covered all the bases already.

We will agree with Jay (JDArt) that the Redskins are the offseason champions! Woo-hoo!!! Congratulations!!! Go 'Skins!

I'd love to see the 49ers win a Super Bowl. Jim Harbaugh's the real deal, and he's got the team to buy in, even if his ferverent style sometimes has the rest of the league laughing at him. He brought out a bit of the Alex Smith we saw in college football at Utah, got rid of the troublemakers, and this offseason they added some new pieces while not losing any key cogs. It'd be nice if Trent Baalke could have gotten Dashon Goldson signed to some sort of deal, but I'm sure Goldson knows after his disastrous free agency last year that his best opportunity to get the deal he feels he deserves is to play out of his mind again this year under the franchise tag (and it'll be better than that deal he got last year).

We'd all appreciate it if he didn't violently collide with teammate Tarrell Brown again like he did against the Giants. I know a lot of his game and play style is based on instincts, but it would do his career some good to pay a bit more attention before he leaps.

As for the other teams I follow, well, the Raiders are the Raiders. Al's son seems to have surrounded himself with great football minds, but they have to deal with a few years worth of asset mismanagement in terms of salary cap and draft picks before they can get anywhere. Hopefully Carson Palmer has something left, and with Michael Bush gone Darren McFadden absolutely has to stay healthy. Then again, while Bush rushed for a good amount of yards and was supposed to be a first round talent coming out of Louisville in 2007 if not for his broken leg, his average yards per carry is pretty low, which means it takes him a gazillion carries to get his yards. Losing him is probably not as big of a deal as the fans have made it seem.

No idea about the new coaching staff in Oakland (the head coach is from the Gregg Williams tree, IIRC), but I like the new front office. The late Al Davis actually drafted a little better recently than one would expect, compared to the rest of his drafts after they moved back to Oakland, but former head coach Hue Jackson put the final touches on emptying the draft pick cupboard before following those picks to Cincinnati.

Not sure what to say about the Jaguars yet. I'll need to see them play. I mostly follow them because two prominent UCLA alumni, Maurice Jones-Drew and Marcedes Lewis play there. MJD might hold out in an attempt to get a new deal (good luck buddy, they signed you cheap and wore you out; tough, but that's the NFL: Not For Long) and Lewis disappeared last season with combine workout wonder Blaine Gabbert under the center. New coaching staff, so Gabbert is in theory getting a fresh start, but they brought in failed Miami starter Chad Henne as their guy if Gabbert falters.

The Jags aren't likely to be very good this year. Justin Blackmon has already gotten into off the field trouble, and free agent journeyman Laurent Robinson is the only other significant newcomer.

...and as for the Browns, man, where do I begin? Head coach Pat Shurmur was in over his head last year as a new head coach, and I think president Mike Holmgren might have lost his touch after leaving Seattle. He waited an extra year before canning Eric Mangini, the coach he inherited, and brought in Shurmur to run a dink-and-dunk offense with lousy skill players. It didn't help that running back Peyton Hillis lost his mind after appearing on the cover of lt year's Madden NFL football game.

The Browns somehow got duped into trading up one spot for running back Trent Richardson when Minnesota was just going to sit there and take tackle Matt Kalil; I highly doubt Tampa Bay would have been willing to part with enough assets to leapfrog the Browns for Richardson. After that, the Browns drafted 28-year-old quarterback Brandon Weeden in the first round as well. Weeden was a pretty good player for a good Oklahoma State University team, but I think the coaching ("I'm a Man! I'm 40!!!" Mike Gundy is the head coach there, for those that remember that YouTube highlight) and system there had a huge impact on his performance; also, Justin Blackmon isn't a bad top target. I like Weeden, but don't think his ceiling warranted a first-round pick. Then again, with least year's thin quarterback class (Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin excepted), maybe Weeden was gone if they waited any longer. Incumbent QB Colt McCoy was one of my favorite college players, and while his arm might not be quite strong enough for the winter weather of the AFC North, his entire offense except for his center and left tackle absolutely stunk. Honestly, I don't think Weeden will find much more success than McCoy without overhauling the rest of the offensive line and receiver corps.

Of course, they then waited until the supplemental draft to pick up a good receiver prospect.

At least the Browns defense is somewhere between "good" and "underrated", and can exchange blows with the best offenses, so they're not falling too far behind on that front. Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh all have good defenses, though I'd expect a bit of a drop-off in Baltimore and Pittsburgh when age finally catches up to their key players.

Overall, I do like the attempt to try and keep up with the offense arms race in the AFC North; the other three teams are led by vertical passing offenses with good running games (well, Pittsburgh's running game has actually been pretty mediocre lately, but the owners changed offensive coordinators in an attempt to emphasize the run). Of the other teams' starting QBs, only the Bengals' Andy Dalton isn't an elite physical specimen with a golden arm, but he's been doing just fine throwing to fellow rookie sensation A.J. Green. Brandon Weeden is a big vertical passer along the lines of Joe Flacco and Big Ben, even though he might not move as well as either of them, and he's kind of old for a rookie, having played professional baseball first.

Ultimately, I the reason I'm so critical is because I think the Browns front office tried to find pieces for their puzzle in a draft that didn't quite have the right ones. I guess you can't keep a straight face when dealing with fans if you decide to scuttle another season because this draft didn't have the right prospects, and Holmgren and Shurmur probably have to win a little this year to keep their jobs, but I'll believe that they rebuit the right way when I see it. I'm not sure Weeden and Richardson are the guys to make the Browns relevant again.
Old 07-26-2012   #7
Camel Breath

Woho, Michael. You are going pro or something. Like it!

[Disclaimer: I didn't read it yet. But I sure will].
Old 07-26-2012   #8
Camel Breath

Haha thanks Al. Take your time.

I'm actually spending less time following sports now. No longer a full time sports (photo)journalist.

In college, I would literally spend many afternoons on the practice field during the offseason, because that was part of my job.

For the NFL, besides following the 49ers and Raiders, I used to pick a few teams before the season and read everything under the sun about them during the offseason, and continue to follow them through the season. I still sort of follow the Browns and Jaguars even though I don't have much real investment in those teams.

Well, we did get a lot of Browns games on TV in L.A. for two years. The first year, they played AFC and NFC West (and won 10 games that year!); the second, they stunk it up on prime time and head coach Romeo Crennel got fired.

Obviously, I don't have that kind of time any more, or at least, I can think of better uses of my time. I guess I'm not sure what the merit of knowing the college stats of, say, Atlanta's second practice squad QB (I guess he'd be fifth or sixth string depending on how many QBs they keep on the main roster), seeing as that doesn't really affect my livelihood at all.
Old 07-26-2012   #9
Camel Breath

I read that and...

Old 07-26-2012   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572
Editing OK?: Yes

Well, just wanted to make sure I was subscribed to this thread, but since you asked...

My team is the Texans. I see us going winning the AFC South with a 12-4 record. I think that will probably get us a first round bye. My guess is we make the AFC Championship game, and from there, it will take some lucky breaks to win it all, but I think we have a decent chance to be seeing the Packers or the 49ers in New Orleans.

I am still hoping that we pick up a WR in free agency and we really need either Martin, Posey, or Jean to step up and become a playmaker to get some attention off of Andre.

We'll say I'm more excited about our prospects in Houston than I have been in the 10 years they have been around.

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: