Are you a smoker?!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4051792
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Are you a smoker?!

Hi all

Unfortunately I am a smoker and I was wondering how many of the photographers in here smoke? what do you do when you are shooting long sessions? Is it OK to smoke while shooting?

Old 06-29-2012   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 144834
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Are you a smoker?!

I don't smoke and therefore say it's not okay to smoke while shooting, for a variety of reasons, the most important being you don't subject your clients or models to the second hand smoke. I was once photographing a model and was a little ticked off when she wanted to take a break just to have a smoke. Really? She couldn't go two hours without having a cigarette? That's pretty bad. Anyway, of course I let her take the break, just to keep her happy.
mjp321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2683374
Editing OK?: Ask first

I cant believe you are even asking that question. Even if it was cool with the subject the tar and smoke will have adverse effects on your camera, softboxes etc. Even small amounts of smoke in the air can adversely effect auto focus and haze the images.

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

People can ask what they wish to. If they feel they can't what is the point of a Forum

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

If the op just want to get an opinion for his her/own knowledge rightfully so they can ask away as Mira mentioned it is a forum and we are all here discussing photography.
And the question does pertain to photography

Some good answers have been presented so far.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
People can ask what they wish to. If they feel they can't what is the point of a Forum
Maybe the OP didn't realize the effects smoke can have on electronics.

For everyone's information, smoke particles contain lots of wonderful stuff (if you're a smoker) and lots of evil stuff (if you're a silicon chip or non-smoker). The particles not only leave a brown crust on surfaces, but they're also attracted to things that build static, such as sensors and electronics. If they get on your sensor, you can imagine the issues... but if they get on electronics they build up a surface that overheats the chips, lowering the lifespan. This microscopic crust also prevents current flow, so if an IC or cable is reseated or wiggled, it can lose connectivity or worse, have spurious or attenuated signals.

This only happens when it's exposed over long periods of time. For instance, I would have no problem shooting a model smoking, but I wouldn't change lenses near any smoky area. If I were hired to shoot a year's worth of smoky bars, they would be charged enough to completely replace all the gear I used. And maybe enough to pay my health insurance, too.

If your camera smells like smoke you cannot sell it to a non-smoker. They simply do not want to bring that up to their faces. Imagine if it smelled like cat urine (this is spoken from experience *)... do you want to lift that up to your face? That's about how pleasant it is to a non-smoker, because smoke also tends to have an emotional impact.

Lastly, the "I can't believe you asked that question" was not literal, but rhetorical. Anyone who knows how badly smoke can mess up electronic gear wouldn't ask it with any seriousness.

As any smoker knows, if you need to take a break, do it. But if the breaks are too frequent, it interrupts the flow of things and will affect your standing among non-smokers. Once an hour shouldn't be an issue.

* to finish that story, no I didn't kill the cat. But somehow, the puddle he left crept to the bottom of a camera and soaked the base. It took days of soaking in bleach and enzymatic cleaners to get rid of the smell.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

In the UK it is actually illegal to smoke in the workplace.

Why don't you chew nicotine chewing gum or something like that if you get a craving while working?

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 377

Right on Mira.
Dbcman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes

I think in the world such as it is right now, smoking during a session would pretty much turn away prospective/future customers. It's just not something people want to be around.

My own personal opinion is that it would look extremely unprofessional, too.
Old 06-29-2012   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

All of the aforementioned information is true. Smoking is bad for your electronics, you optical equipment, your camera, your cloth modifiers and even your display prints. It will louse up your paint job real bad and so no and so forth. Most importantly, however, it will eventually kill you and is potentially deadly for others who inhale your second had smoke. Smoking is carcinogenic which means it is a leading cause of cancer, plus heart disease, emphysema and a raft of life threatening diseases.

Put yourself in the client's shoes. If you went to someone for professional services; the doctor or your dentist, your lawyer or accountant or even your hairdresser and he or she had a cigarette hanging out of their mouth, what would you think- unprofessional to say the least?

It also has to do with grooming; stained fingers and teeth and you're smelling like an ash tray is not cool either.

Some of the harsher responses to your question- well in this day and age of the environment and clean air, many people are somewhat surprised at your question- allow me to apologize for tough reactions but what the are saying is understandable.

In my city, over the last few years, prohibition of smoking laws have grown in numbers and public support. People are getting tired of the smell of smoke and the sight of cigarette butts all over the sidewalks and entrances to their buildings. Nowadays, here in Ottawa, it is illegal to smoke in any food services establishment within 9 meters of the access to the restaurant or a patio. You can't smoke on any public transit facility. Smoking is not longer permitted in all retail stores, parks and other places that are populated by children. It hurts me no end to see kids or the parents die in a "smoking in bed" fire!

I hope this answer you question or at least hear my straightforward opinion.

Listen- I am not angry with you or want to insult you in any way- I JUST WANT YOU TO LIVE A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE and afford others the opportunity to do the same.

Bless you!

Ed

Ottawa, Canada
Ed Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: