Are you a smoker?! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 178206
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Are you a smoker?!

I am a chain smoker and that makes things a little in convenient. Never smoke in the studio or the house which makes things even more inconvenient. Generally speaking I can go 4+ hours without a cig. Usually by then it is time for a break anyway. If not then the shoot comes to a grinding halt, because I have to smoke.

www.craigblankphoto.com
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
Generally speaking I can go 4+ hours without a cig. Usually by then it is time for a break anyway. If not then the shoot comes to a grinding halt, because I have to smoke.
I don't think 4 hours is an issue. People take food breaks after 4 hours anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
Nowadays, here in Ottawa, it is illegal to smoke in any food services establishment within 9 meters of the access to the restaurant or a patio.
What the heck is a meter? I always thought that was the xenophobic distance between the US and the rest of the world.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef@apl View Post
I don't think 4 hours is an issue. People take food breaks after 4 hours anyway.

What the heck is a meter? I always thought that was the xenophobic distance between the US and the rest of the world.
Not trying to be pedantic (to pilfer another thread), but 9 meters is pretty close to 10 yards. So figure you have to be at least a first down from the doorway.

The smoking rules are pretty similar in Denver.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

for me I have not smoked in 22 years but did during my days as a freelancer, but never during work time , I just told my self not a very good idea, that's all: I hope you get what info your looking for:
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

If you don't put cigarette butts in my ash tray, I won't piss in yours.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2683374
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira View Post
People can ask what they wish to. If they feel they can't what is the point of a Forum

I guess that came across as pretty aggressive. my apologies for that. not my intent at all

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Oddly I work within an industry where cigarette smoking is about at common now as it was 30 years ago. I don't light up around the equipment or indoors, exception being in open arenas where it is generally accepted. Yes kids, the signs on the public access points all say No Smoking and back in the halls and runs 1:3 are smokers. I don't smoke in my house, I dislike the smell of stale smoke trapped in the drapes and rugs. Matter of fact, I believe I'll step out and have one now.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #18
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4051792

I am sorry that I wont be able to reply to each and every comment. But wow! what happened guys? I am not advertising for smoking nor saying smoking is good for you and your kids health. I started my post with "Unfortunately I am a smoker" I know it is wrong but I still need to smoke! So I was asking other smoking photographers in a photography forum what do they do in long sessions.

Afterall, what I do is take a cigaret break when the model is changing or fixing makep. Sometimes it happens that the model is a smoker we take it together but between shots. I wont stop the flow for a ciggy. The break will be outdoors or in another room. Personally, although I am a smoker I don't smoke in my bedroom nor indoors with nonsmokers.

Regarding the electronics damage,if someone smokes a cigaret or two indoors with central aircondidtioning on will it have all those damages as in a smoking bar? because sometimes I change the lenses while smoking.

Finally, I want to applogize to sensitive non smokers if this question freaked you out.
samerr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Originally Posted by samerr9 View Post
Regarding the electronics damage,if someone smokes a cigaret or two indoors with central aircondidtioning on will it have all those damages as in a smoking bar? because sometimes I change the lenses while smoking.
If you know the risks, you can do anything you want

In my opinion, this applies to what you inhale into your lungs, and I make no judgments on you personally. If you want to huff paint and understand the risks, go for it. It's a risk to yourself, your gear, and your image. And I fully support your choices in that. However, people might question your judgement based on this and I support their choice to associate with you personally or professionally. Some people will find it a bonus, as they won't feel uncomfortable smoking, too.

Taking a break every couple hours isn't much of an inconvenience. If my proctologist was in the process of shoving a large tube up my ass and suddenly decided he needed a smoke, there would be hell to pay. Just don't inconvenience people, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Now you know the risks to the electronics, but perhaps you don't realize the damages. If you have to replace your equipment in 3 years instead of 5 due to failure, and find it very difficult to sell the equipment that still works, would that bother you? If you have to do a wet clean on your sensor and lenses every 6 months instead of every 2 years, would that be annoying? Those are the risks. The failure rate on electronics definitely goes up around smokers. I've been in the computer industry for a long time, and have seen it happen in addition to reading statistics.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

I'll be glad when the day comes that people respond with such fervor about a currently accepted practice, public texting especially when driving or walking along a crowded sidewalk.

I find a touch of humor in how public opinion shifts in the span of a couple of generations. My granddad fought in WWII and his rations came complete with a couple of Chesterfields. When I turned legal drinking age it was not unlawful to drink and drive, just to be drunk while driving. On my birthday I stopped off at a package store, bought a big ol can of beer and swigged it all the way home. I remember when department stores had ash cans at the end of isles and people would be smoking while shopping. When I was 10 my mom was in the hospital for an operation. The surgeon stopped by her room and bummed a smoke from her about an hour before the procedure, smoked right in her room (opened the window, of course).

Completely off the subject, but equally related was a story on my local news last night about an Oklahoma statute which makes it a misdemeanor to swear in public, in the presence of a woman or a child under 10 years of age. Also against the law were specific swears, like taking God's name in vain or Jesus Christ. A certain government housing assistance office posted a notice that such utterances were violations of state law and would not be tolerated. A lawyer was interviewed, he said prosecutions for violating these laws would never stand up in court because they violated the 1st amendment right of free speech. He said we had advanced over 100 years since those laws were passed.

In my own personal narrow minded way I find it laughable that people go up in arms about my having a cigarette but it's quite fine to spew all manner of vulgarity and profanity in a public place. Advanced, did we?

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: