The Terrorists have won. Another photographer arrested - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 44261
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: The Terrorists have won. Another photographer arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Yes, but wouldn't it be even more efficient if you assured your personal freedom with some more serious ordnance than a puny handgun or rifle? How about some real deterrent, keep your private nuke or car bombs.

The point I want to make is that there are more than one good way to keep a society healthy and worth living in. Some might see the salvation in small weapons, some in bigger weapons, some in no weapons. For each case it's easy to find examples where exactly this recipe doesn't work just like you'd find example where it works. For the small weapon one, look at Somalia and other anarchistic states, where you have plenty of small arms an no peace.

In the end, what matters isn't the hardware, the form of government or the laws. Only the people and how they behave matter.

Korman
Korman, sorry but you beat me to it. Within minutes of posting in this thread, I realized I didn't want to, so it was deleted.

Mom told me not to mix company and politics nor business and politics and I chose not to mix photography and politics.

Sometimes it's the moment that gives a knee jerk reaction to a post which is better off left alone, so I will bow out.

~Chris
Old 05-16-2012   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 371548

I've read at least three different versions of that story (the original incident is 2 years old) and each one is slanted to make the point of the reporter. The version linked to in this thread is the most deliberately inflammatory one I've seen. Nobody but the people on the scene really know all of the facts, so I'm not going to even try and express any opinion. I'm certainly not buying this version hook, line, and sinker.

Canon 60D -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM -- EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM.
Old 05-16-2012   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
I've read at least three different versions of that story (the original incident is 2 years old) and each one is slanted to make the point of the reporter. The version linked to in this thread is the most deliberately inflammatory one I've seen. Nobody but the people on the scene really know all of the facts, so I'm not going to even try and express any opinion. I'm certainly not buying this version hook, line, and sinker.
Well said.

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Old 05-16-2012   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 4114
Editing OK?: Ask first

A bit from Snopes:
snopes.com: Nancy Genovese

Reading about the supposedly left-wing extremist cops in the OP was quite amusing though. What's next- Jewish Al-Qaeda members ?
Old 05-16-2012   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 178206

Have to say that is a terribly written story. I trust the facts are there, but it is way slanted toward Genovese.

I think the days of photographing with an unloaded gun near airports is over. One of the best ways to cause a ruckus here in the states is via airplanes. No one is happy about it, but airports need to have extremely strong security. That goes for government buildings as well.

As a photographer I am certainly sympathetic to this case. I am more sympathetic to the fact the US is a target. Avoiding airports and gov buildings with my camera is only a small inconvenience and I am happy to help keep the deal as safe as possible.

www.craigblankphoto.com
Old 05-16-2012   #16
Llama

CamelKarma: 3940

There's a YouTube video on a linked page:
Mother of 3 Arrested for Taking Pictures of Tourist Attraction at Airport

Old 05-16-2012   #17
Llama

CamelKarma: 797223

The story seems very strange, but it gets stanger -
Old 05-17-2012   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 134

Going back to the main topic - whether this story is completely inaccurate or not, I think the U.S. is still -- despite the age of terrorism and counter-measures -- one of the freer societies. Look at Europe, booming China, all the controls in Australia... Well, there's the I.R.S.

I've just made some 4,000 miles through the Southwest... Haven't been stopped a single time by an officer. And not too much police presence in cities. Travel the world, it's different out there...
Old 05-17-2012   #19
Llama

CamelKarma: 455110

I was laughing so hard watching that video. This whole town doesn't seem very organized. Seems no one has a clue to whats going on. But then again, it's pretty much like this in every town, even the big one of D.C. Bunch of high paid idiots doing a bunch of nothing until they retire with full benefits.
Old 05-17-2012   #20
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

Only comment I feel needs to be made is about the airport. Some of you don't seem to think photography around a military installation should be watched carefully. Even before 9/11 that was frowned upon. I can't help but think had it been a suburban small airport no one would have given a care. A military post is yet another story. If what I have read is true, this women was warned on previous occasions. Sounds to me like she was pushing to see how far she could go. My level of sympathy is bottom drawer for this gal.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: