Who likes Ron Paul here? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011   #11
Camel Breath
 
Douglas's Avatar
 
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 12,865
CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

You know why we have to have government in our lives? Because people are pretty greedy, selfish and stupid. All one has to do and look at warning labels and most laws.

Why is there a warning on a cup of coffee that contents are hot? Because someone sued when they dumped a cup of hot coffee on themselves.

Why are there things like red light cameras? Because of the 'No cop, no stop' mentality.

Why are there government regulations on businesses? Because if there werent, you wouldnt have any clean drinking water, there would be yet even more poisonous chemicals in the air and land, and in our food. And the 99% would be have even less then it does today. Health care would be reserved for the rich. And more corners would be cut and safety of employees and the public at large would be in further danger then it already is.
Douglas is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #12
Bactrian
 
Rick Waldroup's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,187
CamelKarma: 1229896
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowntainMan View Post
The folks who think he's a "fruitcake", or that he's gone off deep end, are well conditioned thinkers.
Most people have trouble believing they can live without gov't in their lives. There are very few Americans still alive who would have even an inkling of what that could be like. We've had at least 70 years of massive gov't. I would argue the war between the states was the beginning of the end for individual liberty, but that would be getting a bit ahead of the topic. My point is, that generations of people are used to gov't being in every aspect of their lives, and know no other way of life. When someone comes along and suggests getting rid of gov't agencies/bureaucracies that have been around for generations, they think it's impossible, and the world will end.
I don't.
I'm not a well conditioned thinker. I live in the real world, where as Paul, lives in a fantasy world.

You know what is interesting about him? I really like some of his ideas. It is just when he starts barking about most government regulations being bad for people that he loses me, and millions of people just like me.

Look, this ain't Yesteryear, he ain't the Lone Ranger, and he damn sure would take this country back 100 years if he had his way.

I don't want to live in the past. He does.

I mentioned this once before. We should give all of you nuts your own place. Give you a separate state where you can abolish most government restrictions. Every man for himself. Your own private utopia. Give you exactly what you want and see how long you last as a civilized society.
__________________
Rick Waldroup Photography
Rick Waldroup is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #13
Former Camel
 
Posts: 368
CamelKarma: -493
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

I think the reason I like him is that he is an independent thinker. He doesn't go along with main stream. He does get a few good ideas, like stopping the wars all over the world to which both Bush and Obama support.
dthem is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #14
Former Camel
 
Posts: 368
CamelKarma: -493
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Also I think Ron Paul is a sincere person who wants to fix the big problems facing our country.
dthem is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #15
Former Camel
 
Posts: 368
CamelKarma: -493
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

True we need government to run this society.

On the other hand, uncontrolled big government spending gets us in a huge deficit and gets us broke.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
You know why we have to have government in our lives? Because people are pretty greedy, selfish and stupid. All one has to do and look at warning labels and most laws.

Why is there a warning on a cup of coffee that contents are hot? Because someone sued when they dumped a cup of hot coffee on themselves.

Why are there things like red light cameras? Because of the 'No cop, no stop' mentality.

Why are there government regulations on businesses? Because if there werent, you wouldnt have any clean drinking water, there would be yet even more poisonous chemicals in the air and land, and in our food. And the 99% would be have even less then it does today. Health care would be reserved for the rich. And more corners would be cut and safety of employees and the public at large would be in further danger then it already is.
dthem is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #16
Dromedary
 
dmthompson's Avatar
 
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,294
CamelKarma: 24299
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowntainMan View Post
The folks who think he's a "fruitcake", or that he's gone off deep end, are well conditioned thinkers.
Most people have trouble believing they can live without gov't in their lives. There are very few Americans still alive who would have even an inkling of what that could be like. We've had at least 70 years of massive gov't. I would argue the war between the states was the beginning of the end for individual liberty, but that would be getting a bit ahead of the topic. My point is, that generations of people are used to gov't being in every aspect of their lives, and know no other way of life. When someone comes along and suggests getting rid of gov't agencies/bureaucracies that have been around for generations, they think it's impossible, and the world will end.
I don't.
Well sir, just how exactly is the government interfereing with your life and just which laws or regulations/agencies/bureaucracies would you do away with and why? By saying 70+ years this goes back to FDRs time. I take it you didn't like FDR and his policies for putting people to work, trying to clean up the banking mess, or his leadership in WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthem View Post
True we need government to run this society.

On the other hand, uncontrolled big government spending gets us in a huge deficit and gets us broke.
I would agree with you that we have a huge deficit however it is not uncontroled government spending. The US House of Representives controls ALL of government spending. If you don't like what the House is doing, get out and vote. After all they didn't vote themselives into office. Neither the President or the Senate can spend any money that is not authorized by the House of Representives. Not one dime. fThe President and/or the Senate can ask for the money but that doesn't mean they will get it.

Dwight
dmthompson is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #17
Vicuna
 
MowntainMan's Avatar
 
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 69
CamelKarma: 212
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Record time for the hatred and name calling to start.
The very first comment! Call The Guiness Book people.....
MowntainMan is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #18
Former Camel
 
Posts: 368
CamelKarma: -493
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

I don't know what you mean by living in the past.

As I understand it, Ron Paul advocates living by one's means, not using the money you don't have, or the money of the future. Based on this he wants to cut "credit card style" spending by the government.

I like that philosophy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
Look, this ain't Yesteryear, he ain't the Lone Ranger, and he damn sure would take this country back 100 years if he had his way.

I don't want to live in the past. He does.
dthem is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #19
Llama
 
Posts: 545
CamelKarma: 4114
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

He's just another Republican- somewhat more crazy than the rest of the bunch. "Like" is the wrong word.. "amused" maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
I mentioned this once before. We should give all of you nuts your own place. Give you a separate state where you can abolish most government restrictions. Every man for himself. Your own private utopia. Give you exactly what you want and see how long you last as a civilized society.
Based on past experience they'd last about a year

Of course that doesn't stop some libertarian airheads from pursuing that utopia; here's a modern revival : Seasteading Institute
Cross_ is offline  
Old 11-07-2011   #20
Vicuna
 
MowntainMan's Avatar
 
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 69
CamelKarma: 212
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who likes Ron Paul here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthompson View Post
Well sir, just how exactly is the government interfereing with your life and just which laws or regulations/agencies/bureaucracies would you do away with and why? By saying 70+ years this goes back to FDRs time. I take it you didn't like FDR and his policies for putting people to work, trying to clean up the banking mess, or his leadership in WWII.
Dwight


Where should I begin?
I’ll start with the IRS.

As the owner of a small trucking company (ME!), I’m overwhelmed by regulations.
1) I pay the HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax). $550.00 per vehicle. The reasoning for this? I drive a big truck, and it’s hard on the roads. O.K…..

2) I pay a $30 per tire excise tax on tires that cost $300 to begin with! My rig has 18 tires. That’s around $6,000.00 The reasoning behind this tax? I drive a big truck, and it’s hard on the roads. Hmmmm, I thought that’s what the HVUT was for…..

3) I get to pay fuel taxes on fuel I “should’ve” purchased in other states. If for example I drive from Kansas to Illinois via Missouri, but I don’t buy any fuel in Missouri, I still get to pay a tax on the amount of fuel I “should’ve” bought in Missouri. Why? Because I drive a big truck and it’s hard on the roads in Missouri. Hmmmm……sounds fair, huh?

Do you pay fuel taxes to states you don’t by fuel from?
This is only the beginning….

Let’s move on to the DOT/FMCSA

1) The DOT (as well as other L.E. entities) can pull me over anytime without probable cause, or reasonable suspicion. Apparently driving a truck is enough. They can delay me for hours if they choose. Can they do that to you?

2) The DOT routinely rouses drivers from their sleep to perform inspections on their trucks, or to look at their log books. Does the gov’t wake you up from your sleep to look at your papers?

3) Pro drivers have to keep a “log” of their time driving, their time sleeping, etc. They’re restricted to working only a certain number of hours per day/week, and they’re required to sleep a certain number of hours per day/week. You? Does the gov’t tell you how much you can work, and when you must sleep?

4) Vehicle inspections - Annually & randomly. I’m required to get a certified DOT inspection every year to make sure my truck is safe to drive. Even though I do this out of my own pocket, I’m still subject to random vehicle inspections anytime, anywhere, without a limit to the number of inspections I might be put through.
How about you & your vehicle?

5) I’m required to be in a drug testing program, again at my expense. I get called in for a test and lose time & money. No limits on this either. I’ve never tested positive, I’ve always had clean record. Does this matter? NO! I’ve been called for testing as many as 6 times in a year!
How about you?

6) I am restricted from driving on a lot of roads due to weight restrictions. Sometimes this forces me onto toll roads.

7) Split speed limits. Some states post different speeds for trucks than cars. Hmmmm……cars traveling 10-15 mph faster than trucks on the same road. Yup, that makes sense. Traffic flows much smoother when vehicles are at different speeds…..MUCH safer too.

Trucks are often restricted from certain lanes on m multi-lane roads. Another real intelligent regulation! Makes getting on & off an Interstate so much more fun!

If you’d like me to continue……

The State I live in tells me;
I can't smoke in public, I must wear my seat belt, I have to pay a special tax to fund a sports stadium for a professional sports franchise, I can't hunt with a crossbow, I can't fish with more than one pole, I have to get a permit to voice my opinion on a public street, I need a permit to have a bonfire, I have to pay for clean drug needles for addicts, I can't purchase/use fireworks.........

Where doesn't gov't intrude into my life? What part of life is NOT regulated by gov't?
Give me an example of THAT, if you can.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
MowntainMan is offline  
Closed Thread

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Ron Ron11 Introduce Yourself 1 05-18-2011 05:41 PM
Hi, my name is Ron RACAIN Introduce Yourself 2 04-08-2010 12:31 PM
Ron from Oklahoma SabreDance Introduce Yourself 5 11-09-2007 06:42 AM