World economy/stock markets
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default World economy/stock markets

Yesterday, the Dow lost 4.3%, and NASDAQ 5.1%. Same story in Europe and Asia. And just now...BBC Breaking News: DAX drops 2.78% to 6236 points in Frankfurt & in Paris CAC-40 suffers 10th daily loss in row, down 1.26% to 3278 points.

Add to to that the slower-than-expected growth rate in China's economy.

Things are not looking too good right now, isn't it.

Let's discuss.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #2
Marvin (aka Heinz)

CamelKarma: 348868
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: World economy/stock markets

Careful, look at who is selling. it is all the large funds that are creating a panic because of the debt fears in Europe and the U.S.

I do not know about anybody else, but for me this is an opportunity to buy. They are making the shares cheaper.

My $.02, I think it is all fear driven, everybody is buying into it and the media is happy making 'news' stories out of every little bit of bad news. One thing that we must really look at are the fundamentals, they are still strong. Everyone expected the economies to bounce up fast with all the QE that was taking place. Billions spent in infrastructure projects, etc. and when that did not happen, everyone panicked and went 'oh oh, we are in trouble'.
Economies are still growing, people are still buying, companies are still selling. Just not at the rate when money was really cheap and everyone was giving it away. We can not expect to go back to the consumer spending levels before the crisis hit. Consumers are now going to think hard before spending the money, BUT they are still going to spend. This is a major adjustment to the world economy that had to happen. We were using our resources too fast, too irresponsibly and were driving prices just on the fear that we are going to run out (and supply/demand) for the speculators that were making all the money. Now we are settling into a more sustainable growth that will provide longer term benefits.

In short, I do not buy into the fear. the market is down 500 points, well, I have long term investment horizons. The market will recover and now.. well thank you for making my money go further. I buy using dollar cost averaging (invest fixed amounts every month)

Cheers to all and happy investing..
meinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #3
Camel Breath

While I agree with your general sentiment there are few things I disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinster View Post
Careful, look at who is selling. it is all the large funds that are creating a panic because of the debt fears in Europe and the U.S.
You are mixing cause & effect here. Cause: The debt issue in Europe & US. Effect: Funds (and people in general) get worried so they start to sell. Not the other way around.

Quote:
the media is happy making 'news' stories out of every little bit of bad news.
Have to agree. The media make things larger than they really are. However,...

Quote:
One thing that we must really look at are the fundamentals, they are still strong.
Here we disagree. Imo, people/governments/investors are just realizing how weak the fundamentals are.
Old 08-05-2011   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes

Stocks have been down 150 pts and up 150 today. A marketing analyst said it best. This is not a crash, its a correction. The world economy is no better now then it was 3 years ago. The only thing that has recovered is Wall St and the investment and hedge fund bankers. The ones pushing oil and gas back up, causing prices to go up, causing less buying, causing less of a need for employees, causing layoffs. All in 1 big circle.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #5
Marvin (aka Heinz)

Sorry that is what I meant. People getting worried so they start to sell.

AS for the fundamentals. Let me add this. Most people are very short sighted, they see only the next trading day or next week or they only see what is in their front yard. I tend to look further out, next year, etc. and not only in my back yard but also see the growth that is occurring in India, Brazil, etc. There is a growing middle class in those countries.
Old 08-05-2011   #6
Marvin (aka Heinz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Stocks have been down 150 pts and up 150 today. A marketing analyst said it best. This is not a crash, its a correction. The world economy is no better now then it was 3 years ago. The only thing that has recovered is Wall St and the investment and hedge fund bankers. The ones pushing oil and gas back up, causing prices to go up, causing less buying, causing less of a need for employees, causing layoffs. All in 1 big circle.
Correct, it is a correction. and also, pay attention to who is doing it.. most of the trading is done by software programs that are told when to sell, buy etc.. that is why we have the large swings in trading.
Old 08-05-2011   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Editing OK?: Yes

Yep. All the day traders on e-trade and such.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #8
Marvin (aka Heinz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Yep. All the day traders on e-trade and such.
YES!!!!
Old 08-05-2011   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 4224516

I think Wall St is abruptly aware, now that the manufactured debt ceiling crisis is over, that austerity measures will stifle economic recovery (think 1937) and cause at least slow growth and at worst a double dip. Corporations have 2.5 trillion bucks to spend when they think there will be a return on the investment. Fear is what we have to fear.
Greg Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #10
Camel Breath

I'm with Greg. Add to that the European debt crisis and we got trouble.

Will not comment on the situation in the US for fear of dragging this thread into US politics.

Imo, there is a fundamental weakness in West European (excluding the UK) economies, and that is the labor laws. Its labor laws are so rigid that they hinder employment.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > OT: Off-topic »

Share this topic: