Foggy sci-fi, Day 6 photo challenge
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Foggy sci-fi, Day 6 photo challenge

I like how this ended up... imagine like some hi tech something of some futuristic city covered in clouds (or fog). Hmm anyway, my teacher always tells me when I do this I need to "go all the way" - meaning- really blur it all out or overexposed it all out well, or don't do it. I hope I went "far enough."

Shot taken on the e-330, ISO 1600, out of the camera jpeg.

- Raist3d

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Foggy sci-fi, Day 6 photo challenge

Cool shot. No idea what it really is, so I guess you've acheived your aim of going all the way .

What's this - you've got an E-330? How's it working as a street camera?
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

Doesn't do a whole lot for me, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt on this one
Old 03-07-2006   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

The E-330 is actually shipping now? I have some questions about the E-330's operation but the topic of this thread is wrong to ask here.

I think what your teacher meant was that the effect should be applied with authority so that it doesn't look as if you intended to take a "straight" shot but messed up on your technique. If you're going to tilt the horizon, tilt it 20 degrees rather than 2.

I have tried deliberately blurred shots like this myself - and they are really difficult (but not impossible) to pull off successfully. In this case, there are too many clues what this image really is. I would crop away the rightmost third of the image and so something to further obscure the outlines of the human figure in the upper left corner.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #5
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728
The E-330 is actually shipping now? I have some questions about the E-330's operation but the topic of this thread is wrong to ask here.
Yes.

Quote:
I think what your teacher meant was that the effect should be applied with authority so that it doesn't look as if you intended to take a "straight" shot but messed up on your technique. If you're going to tilt the horizon, tilt it 20 degrees rather than 2.
Yes, I think something like that. "Don't go halfway."

Quote:
I have tried deliberately blurred shots like this myself - and they are really difficult (but not impossible) to pull off successfully. In this case, there are too many clues what this image really is. I would crop away the rightmost third of the image and so something to further obscure the outlines of the human figure in the upper left corner.
Ok, so what do you think it is?

- Raist
Old 03-07-2006   #6
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Cool shot. No idea what it really is, so I guess you've acheived your aim of going all the way .

What's this - you've got an E-330? How's it working as a street camera?
I'll copy my thoughts from dpreview, but in a not shell: not happy about darker view finder, happier about ISO noise (about 1 stop better, maybe 1.25-1.33 better). Some interface things better, some worse. Live view can rock if you know what you are doing.

- Raist
Old 03-07-2006   #7
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist3d
I'll copy my thoughts from dpreview, but in a not shell: not happy about darker view finder, happier about ISO noise (about 1 stop better, maybe 1.25-1.33 better). Some interface things better, some worse. Live view can rock if you know what you are doing.

- Raist
Cheers for the heads-up. I'd check out your thoughts from DPR, but I don't venture there any more :-\.

A dark viewfinder sounds bad. Don't you use an E-300 usually? So if it's darker than that then that seems a little scary. I'm used to the E-1 bright 100% viewfinder and would find it a struggle to lose a stop or two (or three). I guess this is where the live-view comes into it's own though?
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #8
Bactrian

Quote:
I'll copy my thoughts from dpreview, but in a not shell: not happy about darker view finder, happier
LOL.. in a not-shell.. hmm .. in a nut-shell..

If I catch my own spelling errors, I never made them?

- Raist
Old 03-08-2006   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

Quote:
Ok, so what do you think [the scene in the image] is ?
The thing in the lower left corner looks like a coffee urn with another one trying to squeeze into view at the bottom of the frame. You are sighting down the length of what I take to be the hanger bar of an empty free-standing clothes rack. This scene is taken in a rather large multi-purpose room with a lot of stuff being stored against the far wall.

Since the topic has drifted to the E-330 itself anyway, I will go ahead and ask my questions.

1. Have you tried using the special live preview mode B yet? And how easy is it to focus manually in dim light in this mode.

2. How easy is it to focus in dim light in the standard viewfinder? In mode B?

3. How (acoustically) noisy is the mirror/shutter mechanism in standard viewing mode? In mode B preview? In particular, would I be able to get away with using this camera in a theater or a church without annoying the surrounding audience? (I do a lot of my low-light shooting during church services.)

4. How much of a problem can I expect mirror recoil to be for holding the camera steady? Is this camera noticeably better or worse than the competition in this respect?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #10
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728
The thing in the lower left corner looks like a coffee urn with another one trying to squeeze into view at the bottom of the frame. You are sighting down the length of what I take to be the hanger bar of an empty free-standing clothes rack. This scene is taken in a rather large multi-purpose room with a lot of stuff being stored against the far wall.
What you think it's a coffee urn is actually a coffe table. The darker part "on top" is a cup or such. I am sighting down the length of one of these hand-hang metal bars that people can put their arm. The setting is outside from Hollywood Bolevard into an outside area of a coffee shop. So it's not a room, nor "a lot of stuff being stored against the far wall" or such thing... I take it's blurred enough then

Quote:
Since the topic has drifted to the E-330 itself anyway, I will go ahead and ask my questions.

1. Have you tried using the special live preview mode B yet? And how easy is it to focus manually in dim light in this mode.
Yes, I have tried, and it's relatively easy. You do need either a very good pulse or stable surface/tripod because it is so precise and it makes it very clear how easy is to go off focus. The sensor basically gains up. You can even see the focus area shifting back and forth as you manually focus.

Quote:
2. How easy is it to focus in dim light in the standard viewfinder? In mode B?
Hmmm you mean mode A? Since you asked mode B above. The standard view finder in dim light is my #1 pet peeve right now. You can see stuff but it's dim... some people walking abit far that may walk in dim light may go to almost dark. It's not useless but .. but then I find it nearly impossible to focus in dim light manually on the e-300 too. I want to buy the eye cup magnifier but haven't done so yet (for the e-300). Mode A in low light gets a lot of noise and may go to black and white. I dont' see the "stuttering" that some previews had so that's good. The good news is that you can still frame the shot unless it's really low light. But you can't focus well using that.

Quote:
3. How (acoustically) noisy is the mirror/shutter mechanism in standard viewing mode? In mode B preview? In particular, would I be able to get away with using this camera in a theater or a church without annoying the surrounding audience? (I do a lot of my low-light shooting during church services.)
Mirror is weird.. it's about e-300 noisy perhaps but maybe a tad higher frequency? Hard to say. Mode B preview you get silence until you take the shot and the camera has to lower the mirror, then take the shot, then make the mirror go up again... so it's even more noise I would say. Unfortunately you can't just take a shot (I thought about that too) becuase the camera has to measure exposure and then it has to quickly lower the mirror to measure.

Quote:
4. How much of a problem can I expect mirror recoil to be for holding the camera steady? Is this camera noticeably better or worse than the competition in this respect?
Hmmm I am not sure I know what you are asking.. do you mean the vibration that happens because the mirror moved to take the shot? There's anti-shock settings just like the e-300... It's hard to say. Do you know a good way to see mirror recoil blur?

- Raist

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: