My pants are on FIRE
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default My pants are on FIRE

Money is burning a hole in my pocket. Need an Olympus extinguisher.

I have an E-1 and a 14-54 and 50-200 (THE combo to have back when).

So was thinking about the E-3.

And then was thinking the E-510 with the 50mm f/2 macro and a Sigma 135-400 f/4.5-5.6 would be CHEAPER.

So lets hear it Olympus people. Which extinguisher would you go with?

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Default Re: My pants are on FIRE

Depends on what you want to shoot. No doubt the E3 has a bit more DR and better high ISO but I'm not sure that unless you need these you would necessarily get the value from the additional features. The fact that you are considering both a portrait lens "and" telephoto leads me to think that you may want to shoot wildlife and portraits. For the wildlife the weather resistance of the E3 and 5 fps are compelling. The sensor in the E3, if it's like the sensor in the Panasonic is likely to give higher resolution for whatever that may be worth. I know when comparing my wife's E3 against my 40D and Sony R1 it holds up very, very well - in fact right now it's hard for her to get the camera out of my hands - LOL. I have a few friends with the E510 and they are very happy. They are excellent photographers so even though I haven't spent a great deal of time with the 510 myself I trust that it's a pretty decent camera. One thing they have told me is that they really envy the viewfinder on the E3. Without having both in my hands at the same time I can't personally comment but the viewfinder on the E3 is really fine.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

The E-3 is faster (AF and FPS), and is built better, and is more tolerant to the weather. It is said to be better with DR too, but is it really noticeable? Is any of it needed? Only the purchaser knows for sure.

The 50mm f/2 lens and the 135-400 lens are extremes, but they fill the void that I have. I don't plan to dump the E-1, so bad weather shooting could still be done and the E-1 isn't an old relic yet. The E-3 beats the crap out of the E-510 in weight too, beating it by 3/4 of a pound. Yikes. I would also hope that the E-3 is noticeably better than a 40D. I would hope that the E-510 is as good as the 40D in most respects.

If the Olympus made a battery grip for the E-510, it would be an even closer no-brainer. But they don't, so it would be after-market if one wanted one.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755

Both the burst and speed of the 40D are better than the E3 but in terms of image quality, at least with the copy my wife has, the E3 bests my 40D. The focus is more accurate on the E3 and the colors are at least equal for accuracy. The Live View is superior on the E3 but the ease of selecting the mode, (dedicated selector switch) etc., is better in my opinion as well as the menu system on the 40D. The build quality is probably about equal but the weather seals on the E3 are light years ahead of the 40D. The built-in stabilization, extra telephoto boost and most importantly, the ability to autofocus at F8 is huge for me on the E3.

Since you already have the E1 for bad weather shooting, it's difficult to say if the additional money would be worth the differences. I know people are getting dynamite shots with the E510 and I suspect if one didn't have an EXIF file to look at a properly post processed image of the identical captures from the E510 and E3 would be very difficult to tell apart.

In short - it's primarily features and build which separate these. Anything elese is splitting hairs and pixel peeping.

Best regards,

Lin

I think you can see the dynamic range difference between the E510 and E3 but whether it's all that important is another issue.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #5
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Pickles, you'll find the E-3 is a worthwhile upgrade to the E-1. Lots of features that really improve on the E-1 - AF speed, IS, LV, excellent resolution, low noise, very fast processing speed. It's not quite the same build quality as the E-1 in my eye but as a tool for the job it does surpass it in lots of occasions. The E-1 is a camera that I have no intention of selling. It's just one of those bodies that feels right in lots of ways and is a brilliant JPEG shooter, but I pick up the E-3 most of the time. You may want to look at the 12-60mm too. It's really sharp and has lightning fast AF on the E-3. It'll give you quite a reasonable WA perspective, so you could sell the 14-54mm, add the savings from not having to buy the 11-22mm and be quids in .

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: