The 'I've got an E-3 too' thread :)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007   #1
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Smile The 'I've got an E-3 too' thread :)

mine arrived an hour or so ago. Unfortunately it's too late in the day here to do anything interesting with it, but just pottering around it does feel very much quicker than the E-1. Doing a direct comparison with the 50mm f/2, the E-3 gets into focus quickly in darkly lit subjects (well as quick as the slow motor on the 50mm allows), and the E-1 hunts nearly every time. Just for that it's a worthwhile upgrade .

It's nowhere near the E-1 in build it has to be said. Still very rugged, but I miss having proper doors rather than bits of rubber covering the USB connector (though this is still a vast improvement compared to the ones covering my 5D - a real nightmare to open). The plastic door for the CF slot doesn't affect me as much as I though it would, and at least it has a proper latch to open it with .

Seems odd not having a PASM dial at the top, but I'll get used to it (I shoot 99% Aperture Priority mode anyway). It seems to handle well overall - just need to re-orienteer myself as to where everything is. Took some nice shots of my shoes at ISO 1600 with IS on - came out quite detailed . It's also great to have Live View again - I missed that when I sold my E-330.

Hopefully some bright days may appear soon and I can get out and about with it, but first need to work out where everything is and maybe even read the manual .

Old 11-21-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: The 'I've got an E-3 too' thread :)

You don't have a flash, and a kid as a model? Come on. Make us want one too. You know you do...

You're just scared, aren't ya?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #3
senses working overtime

Ah - I have taken a couple with flash of the kiddies, but I'm not sure they're really going to show anything new. I'll see if I can get something interesting before they slip off to slumberland...
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #4
senses working overtime

OK - just for Mr. Pickles, here's a hot off the press snapshot with the E-3. ISO 800, -1 EV, 1/8th second (IS seems to work ). Still determining the optimal in-camera processing settings, so currently have it set to -2 sharpening and -2 contrast, auto-WB, which is how I have it on the E-1.

Old 11-21-2007   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344

I second your opinion on the build. The E-3 has a very strong skeleton but the E-1 was built like that through and through.

But it's still well built. Something for you to play with: Olympus added the ability to change focus while holding the shutter in bulb mode. I concluded you can get a bloom/glamoury effect with this and yes, you can. I need to experiment more with it.

As for the PASM dial, I also miss it in a way, but I think I understand why they got rid of it. Basically it gets them more surface area for more buttons and gets rid of the "lock" button because you have to hold a button + dial to change it, so it has a "built in lock" by virtue of the way it works.

- Ricardo
Old 11-21-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 39

As I wanted to try the effectiveness of IS, I haven't used flash yet but here is a small caution about its shower-proof: as I said in the other thread, when I got the E-3, it was raining for the whole time, so I tried it in the rain to see how well it copes. It coped very well indeed but a tiny bit of water did find its way into the under surface of the viewing screen. Because it's near the edge, it doesn't interfere with viewing or anything but I do hope it'll eventually go away.

Anyway, here are some photos I've managed to resize. All shot with the 14-54mm lens wide open, camera at the factory default settings, in jpeg and then resized to upload.
Emma: 108mmm, f3.5, fluorescent light, ISO 400, handheld @1/6 with IS
Titanic: 56mm, f3.1, fluorescent light, ISO 800, handheld @1/40 with IS
Garden:70mm, f3.2, ISO 160, handheld @1/60 with IS
(The file exifs are left intack, just in case you want further info).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg emma.jpg (144.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg titanic.jpg (140.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (130.3 KB, 43 views)
Olyirrisistity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #7
senses working overtime

That's a cheap Titanic, but a bloody expensive looking garden . Great first time shots. What's the animal that Emma's cuddling? Looks like a hamster on steriods. Guinea pig?

Like you, I'm finding the IS really works well. Looking forward to some clear days so I can test the 50-200mm + EC-14 handheld. That'll be a real test of IS for me.
Old 11-21-2007   #8
Administrator

Now you guys are getting this figured out.

Paul, nice shot of the kiddo. Whether it is great or not, it shows the IS ability and the difference is light source colors is really nice.

Oly... The one of the kiddo is a nice shot. Looks like the WB is off. Did the camera choose that WB setting? Just wondering. The garden is a nice garden. Yours?

Anyway, you all know where to post more images....

Old 11-21-2007   #9
senses working overtime

Thanks Pickles. I think the impressive thing with this shot is that it wouldn't have been possible handheld on the E-1 (not without me being pumped full of beta blockers). The noise levels are also definitely lower than the E-1, but without any smeariness (I have NR switched off in camera).

Knowing your reluctance to jump into the early adopter shoes I can tell you that it should make a fine upgrade to your E-1 in the next year or two . (so long as you ignore the superlative build quality of the E-1...).
Old 11-21-2007   #10
Administrator

A year or two? I was saving now. Guess I'll buy an E-510 instead and buy this in a year when my ship comes in

I been reading about the build quality being less than the E-1, but maybe it is because it was a tank? I wonder if others (like Canon) seem like they are "built less good" as their 4 or 5 year old models? I'd think they will? Kind of like a 2 year old cell phone. They were big and built then...

I like the build quality but in a lot of ways it isn't really the build but the solid feel in your hands and the weight and such. never hit an E-1 with a mallet, and aren't gonna.

You feel the same, oh mighty poor E-3 owners?

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: