E1 ISO 1600 right from the camera.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default E1 ISO 1600 right from the camera.

I did some football shooting last night, the games are played at a high school stadium so the lighting is really poor.
The images are of the Dallas Diamonds, it is the WPFL football team in Dallas area.
I was not very happy with my work, but the camera did well for what I was asking it to do.

All images were taken at ISO 1600 in JPG, nothing was done, just pulled them out of the camera and re-sized them for uploading.

All were taken with the E1 and 50-200, I had the lens wide open, I did you a custom WB with and Expo/Disc.

1/200s f/2.9 at 101.0mm iso1600

1/160s f/2.9 at 101.0mm iso1600

Bill Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Default Re: E1 ISO 1600 right from the camera.

Impressive , I once shot a football game at night with my old 10D and had no chance of getting to 1600 ISO with this lack of noise let alone 1600 with your lack of noise.
[BTW I meant an English game where you kick the ball with you foot hence the name FOOTball and dont carry it Never understood that but hey ]
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #3
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

These do look very clean for ISO1600. It looks like you had quite good light to work with, which would have helped a lot. Nice work.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

As I done some tests with high iso indoors and was not so happy with the result (noise) - did you do some presets in the camera regarding the noise? I know there are 2 possibilities to do so in the camera menu ...
I like your shots very much and gives me hope for an upcoming theater performance...
jan
jan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan56
As I done some tests with high iso indoors and was not so happy with the result (noise) - did you do some presets in the camera regarding the noise? I know there are 2 possibilities to do so in the camera menu ...
I like your shots very much and gives me hope for an upcoming theater performance...
jan
No, I did not have any of the noise reduction turned on in the camera, it slows it down for write speed and I needed all I could get.
1600 works very well if you hit the exposure right on.

Old 11-30-2005   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

The size reduction necessary for web display also reduces the effect of noise. Even so, as clean as these are, the originals can't be all that bad.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728
The size reduction necessary for web display also reduces the effect of noise. Even so, as clean as these are, the originals can't be all that bad.
Here is a link to a full size one, there is noise but they print at 8x10 very good.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/52992157

Old 12-01-2005   #8
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan56
jan
There is always going to be some noise using an E-x at ISO1600. I would suspect that theatre shots may emphasise this more. If the light is good then ISO1600 is very usable. Once you start capturing shadows then the noise floor can grow quite alarmingly. One tip I use is to slightly over expose to get the most of the limited light in conditions like this.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

thanks for the information shared, I will try it asap

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: