Hard to Swallow
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5122782
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Hard to Swallow

This morning by One Mile Creek I watched Welcome Swallows flying erratically as they hoovered up insects out of thin air.
My shoot began with a serendipitous moment when one perched a few metres away on a strand of barbed wire, Click, Click, Click!
Iíve tried catching their aerial foraging several times over the years, but never succeeded until today. Swallows fly at speeds of up to 10/mps, (20mph).

This is how it went:

Camera set up - M5 Mkii, AE mode 1/8000sec, F6.3, Continuous 10 fps, 73.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 146.2 mm) , ISO 1000,
Technique: Panned 'from the hip' in the general direction of target, hoping it was in-frame; some were, most werenít, which was hard to swallow. *sob

Three consecutive images at 10/fps, shows wing configuration over a time lapse of 3/10 of a second.

OMD M5 Mkii + 40-150mm F2.8 Pro with X1.4 converter = 210mm (35mm film camera equiv. 420mm)

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199285369
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Hard to Swallow

You did a great job catching the action Mark.
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

1 m/sec = 2.237 mi/hr Also, since these images have been cropped, the diagonal of the frame projected on the imager is even shorter than that for the whole image, the focal length multiplier, aka crop factor, is even more extreme than 2.0x, making the effective 35 mm equivalent focal length even longer than reported. Nice camera work, but the bokeh in the 10 fps bursts is grainy and the blurred highlights have dark centers. I sometimes see both effects after deblurring my own images with Focus Magic deconvolution software.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 5122782

Wolf, thanks.

Scoundrel, sorry for the ambiguous focal length report, the intention was to inform the viewer of the type of lens used, rather than a scholarly math of the crop.
As stated, the triptych serves only to illustrate wing configuration over the 1/10 sec. time lapse between images, and to convey a sense of the speed at which this bird forages.
The blurred highlights and grainy background effects due to fast panning were predictable. Many thanks for the much appreciated detailed analysis.
pandora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

I found some shots exhibiting the holes in the specular highlights I mentioned in the background that appear when deblurring with software. Doesn't show the coarse graininess that can also occur when deblurring a grainy photo, but I have other photos that show that effect when processing with the same software. I mentioned this because the camera's internal deblurring and noise suppression may be causing a similar effect.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: