Anti-dust mechanism review....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Anti-dust mechanism review....

DCResource posted this link:

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

The Olympus anti-dust works pretty good.

- Raist

Old 03-27-2007   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Anti-dust mechanism review....

I've no doubt that it does work good. I always get a bit annoyed when people dismiss the dustbuster feature in the Olys. Even if it is a simple maintenance job it's still one job more than you need to do with an Olympus DSLR. Having read recent reports of people ruining the sensors by rubbing it with certain fluids, I'm even more astounded that this type of technology isn't embraced rather than dismissed. Maybe the new Canon 1d mk3 will finally convince the luddites.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
I've no doubt that it does work good. I always get a bit annoyed when people dismiss the dustbuster feature in the Olys. Even if it is a simple maintenance job it's still one job more than you need to do with an Olympus DSLR. Having read recent reports of people ruining the sensors by rubbing it with certain fluids, I'm even more astounded that this type of technology isn't embraced rather than dismissed. Maybe the new Canon 1d mk3 will finally convince the luddites.
The mere fact that there are *dedicated* web pages to instruct you how to clean your sensor should say something. And it's funny because when you are going out there to shoot, you don't have the luxury of quickly cleaning things- what you do in a situation where you go out and try to capture those special shots?

I have a friend of mine that had to professionally clean his D70... $70 USD. This was within the first 5 months of ownership.

- Raist

PS: I wanted to add I think Sigma's approach is probably very effective also.. if I understand correctly, they cover the camera sensor when you switch lenses, so no dust can get inside...
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #4
senses working overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raist3d View Post
PS: I wanted to add I think Sigma's approach is probably very effective also.. if I understand correctly, they cover the camera sensor when you switch lenses, so no dust can get inside...
That sounds like a logical approach too. I suspect that eventually all brands will get round to implementing some sort of solution, and we can get past the 'I don't need to clean my sensor/dust is overblown' debates.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

Every camera "covers" the sensor when you change lenses, unless you're changing lenses with the mirror locked up. The problem is that dust can still get in behind the lens, and then when the mirror flaps up when you shoot (stirring all the air around) the dust can get back onto the sensor.

This was a pretty interesting article - although the Olympus was by far the best, it still didn't manage to shift all the dust. This was a pretty harsh test, though, so I'd imagine the Olympus would cope much better under normal conditions.

The most interesting thing was how thoroughly useless all the other manufacturers' sensor cleaning systems were. You'd think that they would have managed to copy Olympus, but it looks as though they simply put something in for marketing purposes without actually bothering to make it work. I'm hoping this story gets picked up by the photography press and embarrasses them into fixing the problems, but I'm not holding my breath!

Cheers,

Tim.
timjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #6
senses working overtime

Of course you're right Tim - not sure why I had posted what I did... Maybe the Sigma has an extra layer of protection behind the mirror or something.

It's certainly the case that some cameras are more prone to dust than others. I had to blow the screen on a 5D recently - a few days before it was pristine. Not a big task to do, but it is a fairly regular task. I think I've had to blow the E-1 screen no more than a few times in almost 2 years use. It's like the 5D mirror is statically charged and just loves dust. I really can't think of any other reason.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: