Zoom dilemma
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Zoom dilemma

I have a Canon SX30IS, which has 35X zoom capability. I love moon and star photography, naturally in low light. I found this camera's processor was missing a lot of detail, so I upgraded to an Olympus OMD-EM1 with a 14-40 mzuiko pro lens. I then wanted some more zoom capability so I bought a 40-150 f4-5.6 zoom lens but I can't achieve the same level of zoom as the Canon. Can anybody help me to understand what I might need to do to achieve something better or point me in the right direction to get some assistance.

Old 04-13-2016   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Zoom dilemma

You wont get 35x zoom in stuff interchangeable. With the Olympus (and Panasonic) micro 4/3 cameras, the effective length of the lens is double (for 35mm film terms), so a 150 is really 300. You want longer since that is like 8 to 10x "zoom" from a normal 50mm lens.

Olympus has a 75-300mm zoom (f/4.8-6.7) that isn't too bad, but around $800-$900 (here in US), so it seems pricey.

Look at the Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6 OIS for around $500. I have this one and don't really dislike it. it is heavy and doesn't have a tripod color (neither does the Oly mentioned above). it does have stabilization in the lens, which might work better than the IS in the E-M1 at the long end.

There are certainly other lens options that have just come out (or will0 but thy demand more money, because they are either pro or have a wider aperture option (like the Oly 300 f/4 for $2500 or the new Pany 100-400 f/4-6.3 that is getting nice reviews for $1700)...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016   #3
Administrator

Oh, since oyu have the E-M1, a good "option" for a lot of people is the older non-micro 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm lens. Built like a tank and a killer lens. But it is the bigger design, heavier, and will need an adapter...but a lot of people with E-M1's use it and love it (and I loved mine back when I had the original E-1 and the E-3)

But 200 probably isn't long enough given what you said about being "longer"....

Old 04-13-2016   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks. I will investigate this option. I just looked at the Olympus 75-300 and in Australia it is priced at $497 and I will compare its features with the Panasonic 100-300. I believe the Canon zooms to 300 so I may find 200 a bit lacking.
Shipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5330088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Oh, since oyu have the E-M1, a good "option" for a lot of people is the older non-micro 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm lens. Built like a tank and a killer lens. But it is the bigger design, heavier, and will need an adapter...but a lot of people with E-M1's use it and love it (and I loved mine back when I had the original E-1 and the E-3)
This thread goes back a way but seems like you may be the guy to ask:

Mr. Pickles, I have the SWD 50-200 F2.8 that I used with the E3. It is a lovely piece of glass as you know.
Would anything be gained by buying an mfi adapter for the M5 Mkii, given that I have the mft 40-150mm F2.8 pro + X1.4 tc ?
Can you say if the adaptor + converter set up would still be fully compatible with the 50-200, thus extending my existing reach to 280mm (a 70mm advantage over the mft lens), or will there be conflicts ?
I can imagine that there could be significant AF issues for wild birds, especially in flight.

Edit: Are you aware of any known issues using the SWD 12-60 with the M5 Mkii ?
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

You ought to be able to get something like my Sigma 150-500 mm f/5-6.3, but that goes for something in the several hundred dollar range. You will also need an adapter to your Oly to get it to fit, and the magnification is such that you most probably will need a special tripod so that you can track the (apparent) motion of the heavenly bodies caused in fact that you are shooting from a moving platform, i.e., the Earth. You will also need a remote shutter release or a shutter delay so that the tripod vibrations have time to damp down between the time you trip the shutter and the time the shutter actually opens. Most camera models with interchangeable lenses (and a lot that don't) have such a feature.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
This thread goes back a way but seems like you may be the guy to ask:

Mr. Pickles, I have the SWD 50-200 F2.8 that I used with the E3. It is a lovely piece of glass as you know.
Would anything be gained by buying an mfi adapter for the M5 Mkii, given that I have the mft 40-150mm F2.8 pro + X1.4 tc ?
Can you say if the adaptor + converter set up would still be fully compatible with the 50-200, thus extending my existing reach to 280mm (a 70mm advantage over the mft lens), or will there be conflicts ?
I can imagine that there could be significant AF issues for wild birds, especially in flight.

Edit: Are you aware of any known issues using the SWD 12-60 with the M5 Mkii ?
For the 4/3 SWD 50-200 f/2.8 on the E-M5mkII versus the M4/3 40-150 f/2.8... the m43 40-150 will focus a lot faster so that is a big plus. The reach won't be there however... so add the 1.4 extension and the reach is there, but the wide open drops so you will have the basic 200mm f/4 on it versus the 4/3 50-200... But, it will still focus faster.

If you have the m43 40-150 and the extender than I'd say that is a better deal than the older 4/3 50-200...

I don't know of any issues with the 4/3 12-60 not working with the E-M5mkII, other than it too will focus slower and might be tough when light levels get low.

I have never tried a long 4/3 lens, with its extender, attached to the m43 mount adapter....
Nor have I tried a long 4/3 lens, attached to the m43 mount adapter, with the m43 extender... I'd assume this one doesn't work, or at best would be fixed and manual. Not sure you could adjust aperture...

Old 12-17-2018   #8
Camel Breath

I forgot to mention that my album has a pixel crop of the moon shot with the 150-500 mm at 500 mm, including exposure info and other details. EXIF also included. Because of the brightness of the moon, which is a sunlit object lit with the same brightness as that falling on Earth, the exposure is more or less comparable. The shutter speed is also fast enough that motion blur from the earth's rotation is not visible even at this field of view.

That is not the case, however, for most single astronomical objects such as the objects outside Earth's orbit. You would have a terrible time getting the shutter speed fast enough to capture Jupiter and the Galilean satellites and the image is pretty small, even with a pixel crop. (I've tried.) The story is the same even for the brighter stars. However, if you are willing to widen the view to include constellations, you might be able to use a shutter speed slow enough to show not only the main stars, but some of the dimmer stars not visible to the naked eye, e.g.:
I2877rs.jpg
EOS M3, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, shot at f/1.8, 13 sec, ISO 1600. Equivalent view on a 4/3 camera would be obtained with approx. 24 mm lens. Shadow in lower right corner is the crown of a tree in the field of view.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5330088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
For the 4/3 SWD 50-200 f/2.8 on the E-M5mkII versus the M4/3 40-150 f/2.8... the m43 40-150 will focus a lot faster so that is a big plus. The reach won't be there however... so add the 1.4 extension and the reach is there, but the wide open drops so you will have the basic 200mm f/4 on it versus the 4/3 50-200... But, it will still focus faster.
If you have the m43 40-150 and the extender than I'd say that is a better deal than the older 4/3 50-200...
I don't know of any issues with the 4/3 12-60 not working with the E-M5mkII, other than it too will focus slower and might be tough when light levels get low.
I have never tried a long 4/3 lens, with its extender, attached to the m43 mount adapter....
Nor have I tried a long 4/3 lens, attached to the m43 mount adapter, with the m43 extender... I'd assume this one doesn't work, or at best would be fixed and manual. Not sure you could adjust aperture...
Mr. Pickles, Thanks for that useful info. From advice I've had on the Olympus UK E-System User Group forum, my best option for more reach
is to await Olympus's release of the MC-20 teleconverter for my 40-150mm F2.8 pro, which is expected early in the New Year.
It will double the reach to 300mm (35mm equivalent = 600mm).

Scoundrel, thanks for those thoughts, however I'm not into astrophotography, interesting shot of the sky you have there, shot from the bridge of the starship, USS Enterprise, no doubt … .
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018   #10
Camel Breath

Nope. No ships of any kind, either starships or the regular seagoing variety, anywhere near the site in the Sierra Nevada foothills where I shot this. The fact that I was well away of any large cities and other sources of light pollution allowed so many stars to be visible. Otherwise, at the exposure I gave this image, the background would be more gray than black. By the way, I used tungsten white balance to give the sky a bluish cast to match the impression an on-site observer would have.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: