lens advice, please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default lens advice, please

hi all, i wondered here from fourthirdsphoto, where i mostly lurk. spring is finally coming in my part of the world, and as i am fascinated by macro, i would like your opinion. should i get the 50 mm zuiko or the 105 mm sigma? should i also throw the ex 25 into the mix as well? thanks in advance.
diana

Old 03-13-2007   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: lens advice, please

Hi Diana and welcome .

I only have experience of the 50mm f/2 lens and I think it's a very nice general purpose lens and is pretty good at close-ups. You should also get the EX-25 too to make it into a more functional macro lens. They work very well together. An alternative is the 35mm which will do 1:1 without the extension tube, and will be much cheaper. I still prefer the 50mm though as it's a great portrait lens too.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I would start with the 50mm Zuiko. It is a really nice lens, and hard to beat, from what I hear.

The Sigma is good, and would be preferred if you want to stay father away from the subject. This is a good thing if you shoot bees or wasps that are on the flowers. Otherwise, the 50mm is great.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #4
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Just thought I'd throw in a quick shot here. This was taken with the 50mm at f/2 (on an E-1). It's a nice combination to get that slightly softer look with the shallow depth of field. I have quite a few macro shots with the f/2 as well which I'm slowly uploading to my PhotoCamel gallery (link in sig).

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

Great shot Paul, I like the colours and composition - all perfect...
Diana, what kind of macros do you shoot?
I have the 2.0/50mm + the 1.4 converter for insects and when I need more distance. I still have the old Zuiko 2.0/90mm macro for my OM-4Ti, but seldom use it on the E1 as I have problems (or am too lazy) with the manual focus, and also the spider or caterpillar is run out of focus before I was able to pinpoint
For butterflys etc I use the 50-200 tele with the 1.4 converter, that's a terrific combo
Under the line, you cannt do wrong with the 50mm but would go with the converter rather the ex-tube. The 35mm is, as I think best for flowers...?
Happy shooting,
Jan
jan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
Alpaca

hi all and thank you for your responses. i have the e500 with the kit lenses. i've been penny wise and pound foolish in that i have a few manual lenses, among which are the 50 mm 1.8, a vivitar 55mm 3.5 i think, a vivitar series one 50-210 (i think) with macro and a couple other prime zuikos. i'm quite a novice at this time but i don't mind the manual focus. in the summer in good light, it' s not too bad. i mostly shoot flowers and insects in my backyard, while the kids play. at this time i'm not happy with my results, of course i understand it is not just the equipment, of course. but i want sharp and/or artistic shots like you guys.
diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13

Hi Diana, did you ever tried the 1.8/50mm with a extension tube? that's an terrific combi as well - if the close focusing distance isn't an issu, but may be it's a start to develope from... I had good results from the time of my OM-4Ti and slide film. To do great photos is mainly not the equipment, but what you do with what you have!
Be proud and do it
jan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #8
Alpaca

that's a great idea, jan. i do have a vivitar extender. unfortunately, spring is delaying its arrival here in my corner of the world. the snow is gone but it's still cold and flowers have not put an appearance on yet. soon, i hope .

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: