E 500?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default E 500?

Anyone have an any news on the new Olympus release? I placed my order for the E 300 kit today, was going to pick it up in a day or two. Then tonight I get home and see rumours of the new E 500. :-\ I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on my new toy, but now perhaps I should... I have about 1 month before I go overseas (I can claim a 10% tax refund on my camera when I do) I'm interested in your opinions, will it be a better camera in regards to features? Build quality? Will it cost much more or less than the current price on the E 300? (currently AUD$1400 for the twin lens kit) Does anyone have any FIRM info on this subject? HELP!!!!

Old 09-14-2005   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: E 500?

From what I could see from the specs listed on the Oly site before it was pulled (assuming it wasn't a prank), it did have a few features that may be an improvement on the E-300, but essentially you shouldn't be put off getting the E-300. Build quality may be less as it will be a plastic rather than metal body. Image quality should be very similar.

Anyway, currently it's all vapourware and Olympus wont confirm or deny it's existence until they're ready. In the meantime, the E-300 with kit lenses seems a complete bargain, so I would just get it and enjoy taking pictures.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 35

It looks as though the rumors are true and the camera you can see in various places on the web is coming in November. From what I can see you should be happy to be able to get an E-300.

The new model will have a more traditional look, with pentaprism hump, but will be made of plastic. It will have some marginally improved features, but appears to be intended more to be a true entry-level D-Rebel fighter.

If it "replaces" the E-300, to my mind it will leave a gap in the middle of Olympus's lineup.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I well known photographer was needing some people to do some "test" shots of a new camera. I think he has used the E-300, so perhaps he is getting a pre-500 model? Interesting. I think alot of people will be waitning to see what the 500 (?) is.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27

A cheaper built E-300 with crowd pleasing pentaprism hump?
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #6
Vicuna

That's what is looks like. It may have some improvements over the Evolt, but I'm not sure if any of them will be very earthshaking. I think they feell there will be a big market for dslr's if they bring the price down close to or even lower than some of the non slr prosumer digicams.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 28

Forget about the E-500 where's my E-3??
Old 09-14-2005   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

No E-3.

I have a T-1 here, or maybe you'll take a CAT-5?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I copied the Oly Site:
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/index...id=29&Itemid=2
It isn't the best in copy and past, but it is at least some info. It looks like a lot of the info is about the E-300.
I will buy this camera. I like it because it is light. A good carry around cam, if it is true.
T
Old 09-15-2005   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspore
I copied the Oly Site:
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/index...id=29&Itemid=2
It isn't the best in copy and past, but it is at least some info. It looks like a lot of the info is about the E-300.
I will buy this camera. I like it because it is light. A good carry around cam, if it is true.
T
Dslr's are not exactly small and light, but the E-300 is relatively small in comparison to most of the others. It is well-balanced and comfortable to carry. If you are planning on getting the two lens kit, it cannot be beat for value for the price being charged for it.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Olympus »

Share this topic: