ordered the D200 body, now for the lens...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default ordered the D200 body, now for the lens...

hey all,

after taking forever and a few days to decide I just ordered the d200 from amazon.

I've been pouring over bjorn rorslett, ken rockwell, and thom hogans sites for lens reviews.

I have not used 35mm for many years, I've been shooting with 6x7 and 645's
So my knowledge of nikon lens is limited to what they made in the early 90's :

I shoot a bunch of different things professionally and prefer primes over zooms.
That said I will probably get one of the new digital zooms to cover the wide angle end.

for wide angle I was thinking about the 12-24 DX

for normal range the 35 f2

for a mid range portrait lens the 50 1.4 or the 55 2.8 micro

and for a longer lens the 85 1.2, 85 1.8 or a tamron 90 2.8 macro.

I will also would like to get the 17-55 2.8 zoom for a decent all round
lens when I don't want to carry a bag full of stuff with me.

though I've spent hours reading what everyone has written here
and on other sites I have to ask what you think of the lens I picked, and
if you have any suggestions to improve it.

I'm not looking at the d200 to replace the work I do with my med format gear
but I am excited to be able to shoot whatever I want and not worry about
film cost, and having to scan everything just to show people what I've been shooting.

- jonathan

jhnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: ordered the D200 body, now for the lens...

I recently "started over" in Nikon. Here are the lenses I had on my short list:

50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.4
60mm micro
28-105

That's it!

General advice: start out with just a few. Don't buy more unless you really have a need.
Old 05-17-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Your lens kit, stacked together...

12-24 f/4 DX
17-55 f/2.8 DX
35 f/2
50 f/1.4 or 55 f/2.8 micro
85 f/1.4 or f/1.8

...looks an awful lot like one of the options I was considering to build mine to, except that I had a 200mm f/2 at the end of it.* With the 85 f/1.4, you've only got two screw-on filter sizes to worry about: 52mm and 77mm.

Listen to JDArt.* Start with one or two lenses; figure out what you're missing, and go from there.* Don't start an arsenal.* I only personally own 3 AF lenses, and 4 MF lenses.* One thing I don't do is try to replicate ranges I used in 35mm film, because I use 35mm and digital quite different.

My MF kit for my FM2 and EM consists of:

20mm f/2.8 AIS - ultra-wide; it's my "normal" lens that's mounted most of the time.
50mm f/1.4 AIS (came with the FM2 and has a matched serial number; I wouldn't have it otherwise)
50mm f/1.8 Series E (was attached to the EM when my mom said I could have it)
105mm f/1.8 AIS - portraits, etc.
52-62 ring for the one 62mm polarizing filter I use with this kit

Most of the time, I only use the 20mm f/2.8 or the 105mm f/1.8.* This kit is built around the filter size of 62mm I do use these on my D2H (and D70, but without metering), but the 20mm f/2.8 isn't an ultrawide anymore.* I have access to a 70-210mm f/4 Series E zoom, 35-72mm f/3.5 Series E zoom, and 55mm f/2.8 Micro (the old, 1:2 version; sweet lens), but they're not mine and I don't really use them much either.

Like you, I prefer primes over zooms, but I have mainly zooms for my digital kit due to convenince.* AF lenses:

18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX - a great kit lens that's awesome for daylight everyday stuff.* I'm looking to replace it as I don't use the full-range all the time, but I'm probably going to be keeping it for travel.* This thing's been nearly beaten-to-death too, but it's still going strong.* Nice and light.
50mm f/1.8D AF - gives 75mm FOV; I use it for candids, loose portraits, and the like.* Was my primary lens for a long time.
70-200mm f/2.8G VR - bread and butter sports tele; does portraits, suburban "wildlife", and other stuff.* I want to supplement this with a longer prime or a 200mm f/2 plus teleconverters.
67mm and 77mm polarizers

I want to add the 10.5mm f/2.8 DX fisheye or the 12-24mm f/4 DX, some form of mid-range zoom, and stuff, but I haven't really had the need, so... this is what I have.* Really, I could probably make do with a 20mm f/2.8D AF and 85mm f/1.8D AF, but I want to move to the 77mm filter size to take advantage of all the nice, pro zooms available- and the fact that I have a 77mm polarizer already.
Old 05-17-2006   #4
Alpaca

thanks JDArt and Michael,

I won't be getting all the lens at once, over the next few months.
I'm probably going to start with the primes first, 35mm 2, 50mm 1.4, and the tamron 90mm because I want a macro lens. I'd love to get the 85mm 1.4 but that will have to wait.
I do have a cousins wedding in july I promised to shoot,
so I'll want to get a zoom for that.

between your primes and zooms, do you notice whether or not your prints look
better with the primes? I see in all the reviews the primes are always sharper,
but that's at 100% crops.

I'm so used to taking just a few prime lens with me when I'm shooting on location
I have just the basics covered for my med format kit. I might get spoiled with a zoom on the nikon.

One other concern is getting dust inside the body.
How do you deal with that in the field? Has it been a problem you come across?

sorry for all the questions, I feel like a newb photographer again

Old 05-17-2006   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Dust is not a big deal. I change lenses whenever I want to, and try to do a light clean of the mirror box, sensor, and rear lens elements with a bubble blower at least once a week (doesn't happen). I have yet to require a wet clean of a sensor.

The 12-24mm f/4 is reported to be as sharp as the 20mm f/2.8 at equal apertures, but I haven't compared the two as I don't have a 12-24. Supposedly, the 17-35mm f/2.8 beats the crap out of almost any prime in it's range except the AIS manual focus 35mm lenses.

My 50mm f/1.8 is my sharpest AF lens (shines from f/2.8 to f/8; the 1.4 version is best from f/4 on), but the 18-70 looks pretty darn good at f/8. The 70-200mm f/2.8 reaches critical sharpness at about f/5.6, but is sharp even wide open. You might find 200mm, wide open, to be a little soft, but I haven't been troubled by it. 200mm looks good at f/2.8, great at f/3.5, and excellent at f/5.6.

In general, the pro zooms don't lose much sharpness when compared to primes; for some of them, however, you do lose speed. If you need f/2 or f/1.4, you're not getting it in a zoom.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If I was starting over, and didn't want to shoot sports, I'd probably get the following (all AF lenses):

20mm f/2.8D - not quite wide enough, but it's much cheaper than the 18mm, which is purported to suck.
35mm f/2.0D - replicates the normal lens view
50mm f/1.8D - loose portraits, candids, that kind of thing
85mm f/1.8D - tight portraits, candids, etc.

Three of the four (20, 35, and 85) have rebates available right now, and the two extreme ends take 62mm filters, with the middle lenses taking 52mm. I'd add 52mm and 62mm polarizing filters (or just use a 52-62 step-up ring like I do with my film kit), and a camera body. All the lenses are plastic, so they'd make for a light kit; however, carrying 4 lenses (no matter how small) isn't always the most convenient thing.
Old 05-17-2006   #6
Alpaca

thanks again for the great info. I won't have the camera body till next week,
so I have a couple of days to figure out which lenses I will get first.

so many choices. an interesting company I found on one of the sites is Zork,
http://usa.zoerk.com/index.htm, they make crazy adaptors for all kinds of stuff.
I can get one to use all my pentax 6x7 and 645 lenses on the D200.
I have no idea what they will look like but I'm really curious. This will make my
camera back pack weigh about 50 lb's now
Old 05-18-2006   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

My favorite lens in my collection is the 70-200vr. That lens will AMAZE you. It gives a look that is unrivaled by anything other than maybe the 17-55 from what I've heard but i have not tried that one.

For wide angle I would suggest you take a hard look at the Tokina 12-24. This is a superb lens and it's an excellent value. To me this was one instance where getting a third party lens over a nikkor was worth it.

And my 35mm f/2 is an incredible little lens. Fast and light and super sharp. A great little walk around lens.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #8
Alpaca

I'm open to trying out third party lens. I can't seem to find any sites that review them
the way the nikon lenses are done. I'll take another look at them.
For a start I think I'm going to order the 35mm/2 and the 50mm 1.4 tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2006   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyc
I'm open to trying out third party lens. I can't seem to find any sites that review them
the way the nikon lenses are done. I'll take another look at them.
For a start I think I'm going to order the 35mm/2 and the 50mm 1.4 tomorrow.
Two very good lenses indeed.

It's funny how there are very few reputable sources for reviews on third party lenses. I suspect it's because many professional photographers that are higher profile are on some camera manufacturer's program and perhaps reviewing other manufacturer's lenses are the equivalent to endorsing them.

As far as dust goes, don't sweat that. I've had my D200 six months now and I got my first dust spec a few weeks ago. A quick blow out with the usual Giotto's Rocket Air didn't do the trick so I had to break out the Visible Dust brush. Usually one or two swipes with that does the trick just fine, then I blow out the chamber with the rocket air with the camera pointing down. (No sense in disturbing dust to let it settle back down in the camera)

D100? Three years owning with one wet cleanings and about three brushings as described above.

I'm a zoom fan ... I did my time with primes long ago. Can't talk me out of the versatility and the sharpness issue really isn't like I need to split a hair razor sharp with any images I do. They're sharp enough.

The one issue where I have to yield is aperature. It's nice to have the fast lens when you need it.

Good luck with the new camera. I know you're going to enjoy it.

Julio
Old 05-18-2006   #10
Alpaca

thank you Julio,

as soon as I get some shots worth posting I'll put them up.

I'm not sure when I'm going to have a complete kit. Amazon which I ordered from
sent me a note saying that J&R, the company the body is being shipped from has six
days to send out the body, then another six days for delivery
Not quite what the fine print said, but I can wait. I guess I missed the fine, fine print
I'll just use the time to read some more reviews.

jhnyc is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: