Lens advice
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 862
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens advice

ok I'm rather new to photography, have a 18-55mm dx and a 50mm 1.8Af d.

I'm mainly into concert shooting but I do dabble into sports a bit and landscape(I'm travelling for the summer)

I'm on a budget(second hand lens it looks like) bout 200-300 dollars max.

I don't know if wide angle or telephoto is what i want. For what my needs are could some reccommend me suitable options, I'm really lost

Old 05-07-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Lens advice

I think the only real option for telephoto is the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikkor, which runs about $100-150. I have to get going now, but I'll get you some samples and more information sometime later- i.e. tommorrow afternoon. This was my primary long lens for quite a while, and it actually performed quite well.
Old 05-07-2006   #3
Vicuna

indeed thats the lens that was on my list, I like the idea of wide angle but i think telephoto would be more usuable, especially on my travels...oh i wish i was rich
MeleKalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

Don't we all wish we were rich.

I have the sad choice of trying to decide between two fine lenses.

More and more I'm considering the 200 f/2.0 AF-S VR over the 300 f/2.8 AF-S VR.

Not just because the 200 f/2 is $3,700 after rebate, and the 300 f/2.8 is $4,500

But because I am thinking of what a 200 f/2 could do for long shots in a wedding environment and what it could do with a 1.4 converter at a concert at f/2.8 VR 280mm and a very useable f/3.5 with the 1.7X at 340mm in a concert shoot.

I believe I'm going to rent it over the weekend on Friday and give it a try and see what I think.

Julio
Old 05-08-2006   #5
Vicuna

see an f4 lens isn't ideal for concert photograhy of concerts, I'm really at al loss, my main area is concert, but travelling for a few months(central asia) the lens would nearly be worth it if i didnt really use it much after...is there any cheap low ap teles available?
Old 05-08-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

f/2, f/2.8 f/3.2, f/3.5 are about it as far as useable aperatures for concerts.* F/4 can be done, but at a price.

One option you might consider is that Sigma 100-300 f/4 ($800)

Not a bad one for an all around.* You won't use it for concerts or very low light, but you'd certainly use it for everything else.

If you're traveling in Asia, you'll be using shorter lenses for the most part.

I've learned that with wildlife, there just ain't no lens that is too long.... In fact, all of 'em are too short.

Julio
Old 05-08-2006   #7
Camel Breath

I don't think you'd need a long lens in Asia; not enough shots to warrant taking it, for the most part, unless you're doing wildlife.

Calling the 70-300mm an f/4 lens is a bit of a joke... it's more like an f/8 lens, really... LOL
Old 05-08-2006   #8
Vicuna

hummm ok but its also for concert shooting? are all tele's high ap?
Old 05-08-2006   #9
Camel Breath

I would use your 50mm for concerts if I could get close enough* (It's a 75mm equivalent, which has been enough for most indoor events I've done).* If you can't get close enough, the cheapest Nikkor offering (I don't really know my 3rd party lenses) I can think of is the 180mm f/2.8D AF prime, which is somewhere in the $900 range.* Like Julio said, you really want f/2.8 or below for concerts.* Personally, I'm reluctant to take even my 70-200mm f/2.8 indoors, but that's because my D2H essentially kicks the bucket after ISO 800.* The D50 handles high ISO really well, so you could go all the way to 1600 and retain the oversaturated colors it produces with low noise, but the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G with its slow and variable aperture won't do you much good.* It really needs to be stopped down at least one or two stops to get a good image at the longer lengths.
Old 05-08-2006   #10
Vicuna

so its a bit of a pipe dream, should stick with my 50mm then yeah?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: