D70 Water Resistant?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 19
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default D70 Water Resistant?

Is the Nikon D-70 water resistant or water proof in case of rain?

http://gallery.me.com/chdexter
My Stuff:
NikonD700,D300,D70; some glass
topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Default Re: D70 Water Resistant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog
Is the Nikon D-70 water resistant or water proof in case of rain?
At* a guess I would say resistant but what that means I have know idea :-\
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

One would think it can take a bit of rain water ON it...but not IN it. I'd still use some kind of repelling device, like an umbrella or a hat or a bag...but I'm a scaredy cat like that

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

No, it is not waterproof. Water resistant, maybe.

I've taken a D70 into heavy rain, but I absolutely DO NOT RECOMMEND this course of action. Considering that it was also my dad's D70 and not mine, that was doubly stupid. I dried it out by opening every door and removing every cap and blasting all of the buttons with lots of compressed air to get the water out from under the buttons. The D70's buttons and dials love to trap water, and you should watch out for water entering from the lens mount if it's not a rubber-sealed mount like the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I had attached. Camera survived just fine though, but I wouldn't do it again.
Old 01-24-2006   #5
Guanaco

Thank you all. I will keep my D70 out of the rain. :
Old 02-05-2006   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Even though this is settled I have a story to relate.

When I bought my first D1X I was used to shooting F3's and F4's which performed beautifully in wet environments and I protected them in rain only casually... never had a problem.

Well, I took my new D1X out to shoot a firefighter training burn at night and it started to rain. I used it as though it was an F4, covered it with a towel when I wasn't shooting and tucked it under my vest. The shoot went normally. The next day though, as I was preparing to shoot a studio portrait I realized the camera's display and behavior were erratic. I barely got that shoot done, stopping several times to reset the camera... I was very worried, thinking I'd ruined my new camera. For the next couple of hours I researched wet camera problems and concluded I should try to dry it out.

With the battery and card removed I put the body on the front seat of my car which was parked in the hot sun with the windows cracked... left it for two hours; temp in the car was 110 to 130. When I fired it up it worked just like new and hasn't fritzed on me since... but then, I've never allowed it to get wet since either.

Just thought that was worth mentioning.

Chip
Old 02-05-2006   #7
Guanaco

Quote:
With the battery and card removed I put the body on the front seat of my car which was parked in the hot sun with the windows cracked... left it for two hours; temp in the car was 110 to 130. When I fired it up it worked just like new and hasn't fritzed on me since... but then, I've never allowed it to get wet since either.
Wow, I never would have thought of that. Good to know to remove battery and card. I think a woman would have tried a hair dryer, or a clothes dryer on no spin. When I got a moisture circle in my 70-200 mm, I thought it was ruined. It was a very humid day. I brought out the hair dryer to get rid of it.

Old 02-05-2006   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

I'd never thought of letting it sit in the hot car either, but interesting idea.

I've gotten caught in the rain with my D100 before and never experienced any problems, but I usually did my best to get it out of the weather as soon as humanly possible... meaning as soon as it started raining and I could get under cover or get my pack open without destroying all the lenses inside via the rain, I'd dry it with my shirt or hold it under my shirt, etc... duck under cover and get the camera tucked away in the pack.

Julio

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: