screw on filters vs. cokin filters
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 115197
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default screw on filters vs. cokin filters

I was wandering what would be a better investment to buy the Cokin filters that can be used with multiple lenses or the filters that screw on. Is the quality any better for the screw on filters than the Cokin filters or do the people just want to buy the screw filters for every size lens they have.

Old 10-28-2007   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 48
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: screw on filters vs. cokin filters

I have filters for 58mm, 62mm, 67mm, and 77mm. I'll likely add 39mm soon, and possibly 72mm (if I break down and buy the 35-70 2.. I get the most use out of the 67mm and 77mm filters (ie. my mid-range and telephoto zooms). The only reason I'd use a Cokin system is for their Graduated ND filters since they're so much more adjustable than a typical round filter.

The problem with a cokin filter system is that in order to buy one setup for all of your lenses you'll need to buy the largest one. This would be horribly cumbersome on say the 50mm 1.8. It also gets rid of your ability to use most lens hoods. Oh, and you can't buy B+W and Singh-Ray for a Cokin system

Obviously there are advantages to using either system. The best thing to do would probably be to pick up a good Cokin setup that will cover your less used filters for multiple lenses, and then your more common filters can be purchased for each lens in the screw-in form. I have circular polarizers on my lenses almost all of the time. They're definitely expensive, but I also don't have to move my filters in between lenses.

my photos - Joel
rootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

I would recommend Cokin System for Grad ND. Screw filter for Protection and CP. Regarding Solid ND it is upto you, but Cokin system will be fine to stack more than 1 filter without Vigneting...
clickmepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

I use the Cokin P holder, but I do not recommend Cokin filters anymore. Their Grad Gray filters are not neutral and add a slight cast to the image. I recommend Lee's or Hitech filters. They make 85mm filters to fit the the Cokin holder, or you can buy their holder.
Old 10-29-2007   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
I use the Cokin P holder, I recommend Lee's or Hitech filters. They make 85mm filters to fit the the Cokin holder, or you can buy their holder.
Yes...Hitech Filters are beter than Cokin..I heared Hitech belong to Lee ..Pls correct me if I am wrong...You will be fine with Cokin P standared and Wide Holders with Hitech filters from Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya Digital filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Inks for better price and good service
clickmepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #6
Camel Breath

Those are good prices. I'll keep them in mind.
Old 10-29-2007   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194

I have used Lee Gel Filters for years as I have not liked Cokin Filters.

Frankly, while on the subject of filters, I would like any information on the quality of Hoya Filters, please. When I started in photography we used Tiffen, B + W, Schott and Zeiss filters. Then Tiffen filters became sketchy in quality and lots of reported artifacts resulted. Today, there are few Schott and Zeiss filters available for cameras and Hoya Filters seem to have become ubiquitous. How is their quality??

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474

Ok, I have been using the cokin for a bit now and like it. But I`m not married to it. Could you guys give me a more precise rundown as to why I should drop the Cokins and go for the Lee`s?

Thanks for your input.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #9
Camel Breath

ND filters? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Color cast is the issue. it turns out Coking "neutral gray" are not neutral.
Old 10-29-2007   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
ND filters? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Color cast is the issue. it turns out Coking "neutral gray" are not neutral.
I have read that statement many times on several internet sites. However I have never seen a posted image that demonstrates the issue. I have a Cokin ND grad filter that I use occassionally with film. I have not seen any suggestion of a color cast.

Cheers/Mike

P.S. John, it is Cokin, not Coking.

blumesan is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon »

Share this topic: