D80 memory card
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Nikon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default D80 memory card

I'm looking for a nice fast SD memory card for my D80. What is a good/fast brand to look at?

Last I recall 4GB was the max size card.Has this changed?

Thanks

Rich

Old 09-05-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3037
Default Re: D80 memory card

I have the Lexar Professional and they are 133X speed. I find them reliable and fast. I have a few 2 gig cards I am one of those that doesn't want all his eggs in one basket but this varies from person to person. I also have a few Platinum Lexars and they are 60X speed they are also fairly fast and reliable.

I have heard good things about the Sandisk cards and I believe the memory chip makers like Kingston and PNY are also reliable. Nikon also recommends Panasonic and Toshiba but I have limited knowledge of those brands except my daughter uses a Toshiba in her coolpix and it seems fine.

To be honest the last I heard 4 gig is the highest for SDHC but I then saw an ad for a 8 gig by PNY so you will have to do a Google on that. But I am happy with my assortment of 2 gig cards.

Jim

Go Navy and bless all those in Harms Way
james23p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194

I use SanDisk and I prefer 2gb for shooting RAW and 1gb for shooting JPEG. Rather than ask us, you may want to consider calling the SanDisk Technical Support line and ask for a recommendation. These people can be super helpful!!!!! I have zero preference between SanDisk and Lexar and have experienced zero problems with either and with two D80s. By the way, the slowness with these cards enters with downloading as you cannot use firewire with SD to the best of my knowledge so you are limited to the slower speed of USB 2.0. I have no problems and do not want any either!!!!!!

Good luck,
Tom
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #4
Alpaca

Red face Re: D80 memory card

I like shooting both raw & jpg. just in case I get that "one" shot... LOL!
I have a kingston 4GB class 6, which is pretty nice. There used to be a review that complared all of the types out there (or available at the time of the article) but I cant find it. Sometimes when I take a bunch of pix at once, I see the lag between the camera & writiing to the card.

How does this stack up against the 133x, 150x cards?

My hope is that a faster writing card is worth the investment.

Thanks

Rich
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP66 View Post
There used to be a review that complared all of the types out there (or available at the time of the article) but I cant find it.
This is probably what you're looking for:

Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD Performance Database
Old 09-08-2007   #6
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by phototakeouter View Post
This is probably what you're looking for:

Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD Performance Database